Don't Miss A Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Hey,

I'm not sure if any fellow UKers saw this, but today at 5:30, there was a show called 'Don't Miss A Trick' on BBCTHREE. It starred the cast of The Real Hustle(which includes Paul Wilson, good friend of Lee Ashers).

I watched 10 minutes of it before shooting off to work, and it seemed quite cool, UNTIL they started revealing tricks. They gave DETAILED explanations to various popular tricks such as Daniel Garcia's Joe Blow from his Projects, as well as the Superman Levitation being sold at pubtricks, and that was just in the 10 minutes I watched it for.

I'm not sure if they have permission from DG(it doesn't seem like the type of thing he'd agree to). But if they don't this sort of pisses me off, especially considering Paul Wilson was in it. I would have thought by now he would understand general ethics in magic.

Did any of you guys see this? What do you guys think?

~ElisG.

May 2, 2008
I hate exposure, too. But it's not going away (as far as I know). The only thing you can do is ignore it.

Apr 28, 2008
I missed this, i'll check it out on Iplayer tommorow.

Here's the description from a TV guide, it appears it was on BBC1 not BBC3.

One-off family special hosted by Kate Thornton. Shot entirely on location, magicians Jessica Clement, Paul Wilson and Alex Conran from BBC3's the Real Hustle perform for the public. Can you guess how it's done before the tricksters reveal their secrets?

It seems fairly pointless, as it's a one off it's nothing we need to worry about but it still sounds like a stupid idea.

I expected better from Paul Wilson, the other guy, Alex Conran seems to be a fairly competent magician as well from what i've seen of him. I don't know what Jessica Clement will do on a magic show, I always thought she was fairly talentless and just there because of her looks.

I'll have to watch it to get a better idea of what it's about.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Yeah... I'm a bit iffy about this new program... On the one hand I can see it being a good thing as magic will start coming back into the world. One the other hand there were two things I did not know how to do before and now I do... It's like the masked magician for modern close-up magic. Eh, maybe next week will shed more thought -- Oh wait... One-off? That's good.

Pete's half-man illusion at the end was awesome though. :p

- Sean

Jan 13, 2008
I may be thinking of the wrong trick, but I thought Joe Blow was just Danny's handling of a really old trick that appears pretty much everywhere, like in kids magic books and stuff? Either way, I haven't heard much about this; thanks for the heads up.

Aug 22, 2008
I watched this show in its entirity and I have to say the exposure did not bother me at all.

Under strict copyright laws, the BBC would not be able to reveal the method to any trick on air without the express permission from the copyright holder i.e. the artist concerned.

Subsequently, if the copyright holder has no objections to the show, why should we?

I thought that the show itself was very informative and gave new perspective into how creativity can play a huge part in performing very complex but extemely effective magic effects. The Dr Who TARDIS illusion is a shining example of this.

Forum members should hesitate and watch the BBC programme first before acting in an over zealous fashion and condemning the show out of principle.

The Gramercy Riff

Sep 1, 2007
I watched this show in its entirity and I have to say the exposure did not bother me at all.

Under strict copyright laws, the BBC would not be able to reveal the method to any trick on air without the express permission from the copyright holder i.e. the artist concerned.

Subsequently, if the copyright holder has no objections to the show, why should we?

I thought that the show itself was very informative and gave new perspective into how creativity can play a huge part in performing very complex but extemely effective magic effects. The Dr Who TARDIS illusion is a shining example of this.

Forum members should hesitate and watch the BBC programme first before acting in an over zealous fashion and condemning the show out of principle.

The Gramercy Riff
Hey, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. I only caught 10 minutes of it, and the 10 minutes I saw bothered me.

Mar 7, 2008
i watched the program to, and honestly there was nothing to fret about - well for me anyway. it wasnt as if they were revealing amazing secrets like great card tricks. they were more funny illusions and scientific tricks that would never have bothered me being revealed. but it was interesting to see how some of the things worked like the superman one.the trick where the paper fell over on pauls command is something ive seen in science books and kids child magic books.

just though id share my views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results