Shadow Masters Review

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
Well here is my review for the Shadow Masters. I'm definitly going to enjoy writing this one because they are simply a pleasure even to hold.

Box: The box is quite cool. When you just get them casually out of your pocket it... it just looks so good. I'm still getting used to them to be honest, but getting a box of Shadow Masters out of your pocket just makes you look (and feel) so professional (not quite the right word but it'll do), and then when you get the cards out of the box... *sighs infatuated* I do really like the barcode reveal for the 3 of spades though and that brings the box up by atleast one point Despite all this the box isn't exactly exciting to look at... 9/10

Card Backs: Very nice. Just like regualr bike backs (except obviously black) and darker in the middle and on the edge. Also the mermaids in the corners of the cards have shadows shaded, which give them a slight look of coming off the card. They also have a kind of 'ancient' feeling about them (but maybe that's just me) 9.5/10

Ace of Spades: Very nice design although I preferred the original Masters ace with the blue. With the black and red I think a hint of blue would've been fantastic. 8.5/10

Jokers: Fantastic. I really like the jokers. Quite spooky and eerie (if a little cheesy) Admittedly they are slightly emo too, but I really like the 3 of Diamonds reveal. Brilliant. Inspired. 10/10

Court Cards: Very nice indeed. A fantastic smokey look to them. I particularly like the red court cards as you have the red, black and white all on there. The pips are all gradientted (if that's a word) and made to look smokey. I hated this to start with, but actually now like it a lot. Really quite beautiful cards. 10/10

Stock: Slightly thicker than regualr bikes I'm not sure I would've noticed if someone hadn't told me first but it is slightly noticable. If you're worrying about them not fitting into you're super-awesome-sexy card clip or something I wouldn't worry - some how the deck as a whole manages to stay the same size (in thickness) as a regular one. I've also heard that the ink rubs off the side of the cards a little but that hasn't happened to me yet so I'm not too worried. I'm told it's nothing to worry about. 8/10

Fanning: WOW!!!!! When I fist opened these the first thing I did was fan them to get a good look at all the faces and I literally jumped!!! (ask randomwrath - he was there) These fan so beautifully and effortlessly it's like real magic. (Hmm that sounds so cheesy). I literally can't express enough just how nice they are to fan. 11/10 (shut up. Yes I am allowed 11)

Flourishing: OK these don't flourish brilliantly I'll admit, but they can do tricks and slights very well. The first trick I performed was the S.W. Elevator (which randomwrath and I call swelevator!) and it worked like a charm, but the flourishing ... well it kind of slips apart a little. The packs don't hold together when doing something ridiculously large like the leno cut, quite as well as regular bikes. I'm not sure if thats because of the UV500 air finish or not. This is the first deck I've had with it.7/10

Finally I must mention that you get a double backed card (just because everyone likes that) and obviously an 'E' advert card. Also the acrds aren't quite identical on the backs. The border on the top isn't quite as big as the one on the bottom. We weren't told this - we just noticed.

Altogether that makes a grand total of 73/80 (if you include the 11)
Which is some kind of percentage I expect. Hold on a minute please.
91.25%

Thankyou you've been a wonderful audience.
Probably

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
Very nice in-depth review. Yeah, the Shadow Masters, IMO, are just below the Ghosts as the best deck that E has ever produced. And since E produces some of the best (and conversely, some of the worst) playing cards ever used, that's saying a lot.

Have you taken this deck onto the streets for spectator reactions to it?

Sep 1, 2007
damn dude, you rated them a 7 for flourishing because you're a n00b that doesn't know you're supposed to break in cards. Flourishing with a brand new deck, ANY brand new deck, is hella hard! Also, have you ever heard of fanning powder. Otherwise, great review and I laughed when you gave them an 11/10.

May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh
damn dude, you rated them a 7 for flourishing because you're a n00b that doesn't know you're supposed to break in cards. Flourishing with a brand new deck, ANY brand new deck, is hella hard! Also, have you ever heard of fanning powder. Otherwise, great review and I laughed when you gave them an 11/10.

do you ever have anything to say other than calling people noobs?

Oct 24, 2007
do you ever have anything to say other than calling people noobs?

And everyone wonders why his forum name starts with "trash".

Good review GuitarKid, I might pick some of these up, but I'm not sure. I don't have much money on me because college is taking it all. Thanks for the review. Peace!

Tyler

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Cards don't do the magic and sleights nor the flourishing.

I honestly didn't like this review as it was like any other E deck reviews where they all say the same and more than half of it was the looks.

Aug 22, 2008
Originally posted by Eddie
Cards don't do the magic and sleights nor the flourishing.

I honestly didn't like this review as it was like any other E deck reviews where they all say the same and more than half of it was the looks

I totally agree with this statement. All cards that have an UV500 Air Flow Finish will handle superbly. The only difference that can be attributed to these types of cards will be solely based on an individual's perception of how good the cards actually look.

In this capacity, I was deeply disappointedwith the Shadow Masters deck. I much preferred the Black Tiger deck as I believed it to be more visually striking; but this is just my own opinion and like anybody else's, it has absolutely nothing to do about how well they handle or perform.

In this context alone, giving the cards a rating of 10/10 and even 11/10 on performance levels is gratuitous.

The Gramercy Riff

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal

Not yet but we are going to soon. I'll keep you informed when I have done!
Also I don't know if this has exactly the same card quality as Tigers/Ghosts/Tally Ho's etc because it's my first deck that isn't red or blue bikes. (Except n00b bridge which obviously doesn't count).

damn dude, you rated them a 7 for flourishing because you're a n00b that doesn't know you're supposed to break in cards. Flourishing with a brand new deck, ANY brand new deck, is hella hard!

I don't actually flourish that much so it's not exactly my forte.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA

The SMs have always gotten good reactions from people for me. I get a lot of wows when I use them.

Because of that, I have adjusted my performances so that I never start out with a setup on the bottom of the deck. That way, when someone goes, "OOOooo... wow," I quickly agree, talk about how cool these cards are, then fan or spread the bottom cards to show more of them. In some cases, I've let them handle the bottom half of the deck, keeping my stacks on the top. (This same strategy also works with Ghosts; it's a great way to explain the all-black pips.)

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
And everyone wonders why his forum name starts with "trash".

Good review GuitarKid, I might pick some of these up, but I'm not sure. I don't have much money on me because college is taking it all. Thanks for the review. Peace!

Tyler

GuitarKid didn't review them; The Wordsmith did.

And I love these cards also. They fan and look great! The only thing I don't like about them is that both reveals are threes. I'd like it better if the barcode reveal was "J4CK 07 5P4D35" or something...

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
Thankyou for pointing that out; I didn't want to mention it as he was defending me at the time but still...
I can see what you mean about the barcode reveal and the jokers both being 3's, but when they do court cards, they just do an initial e.g. J 07 5P4D35 which is a little less impressive (in my opinion) but a 7 or 5 or something would be good.
Great quote btw - always makes me laugh! =)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results