Interesting Article by R Shane

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Steerpike man, thanks for threads like this, you sure are someone I want as a friend =D.

Well on my personal opinion, I cant really Deny was have been said there, jaja,I mean, I recently bought Dangerous!!! obviusly I made my research for it, I enjoyed the demo, so I decided to see the reviews, I liked the tricks ( I really like his style of flourishing) so I decided to bought it...

So I know, IS kind like gamble isn't it? I mean take music for and example, you can learn how to play drums, then buy the instrument for 400$ and try to make your band and be famous! obviusly is amasing to play an instrument but it can be somewhat a little too much of money for something you enjoy isnt it???

before investing money ( because that's what it should be, an investment)we should think what can we get from it, if I am buying a NEW AND GREAT Dvd just because it looks "cool" then I' m wasting money, but iF I'm buying it because I enjoy it, it fits my style AND is from someone I have learned before and that I know that is reliable, THEN I'am making and investment

One of my Laws of life is that just because I say it, it isn't going to be right, It's my opinion and I know I can be wrong...

So I wish I could have expressed myself with better words or some other ideas, but english isn't my nature lenguage and I fell kind of limited..

Thanks for reading.

Sep 1, 2007
So I wish I could have expressed myself with better words or some other ideas, but english isn't my nature lenguage and I fell kind of limited..

You're still making the effort to further discussion. That's the part that counts.

What Shane is getting at is accountability. Caveat emptor. Magic is something that is usually bought sight unseen, though most magicians seem loathe to admit it. They would rather fault the distributor, the dealer, or the creator than admit to their own mistakes, but that's still a largely human reaction and not exclusive to the magic community.

The first time I really got a sense of this among magicians was when I noticed a lot of criticism levelled at certain websites for stocking a lot of one-trick DVDs, but they never took the creators to task for agreeing to produce them in the first place. Everyone has seen the Ellusionist parody video on YouTube that spends about 10 minutes on that one, lone argument. I posted on the video asking why he hated Ellusionist but didn't hold the creators equally responsible. An hour later, my question had been deleted.

It was about that point I started to get a better idea that the magic business is like any other. Regardless of the ethics, quality, or whathaveyou of any given product, there are some people out there who just don't like it. And most of them are just not prepared to accept that the responsibility ultimately lies on them as the consumer.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
An interesting part of the article in my opinion was the emphasis, for the majority of the time, on dealers and creators who had sold junk before. I happen to agree with Shane's article - but what about in the case of someone who's never released a product badly, or who has just released a first product? We can't possibly know it's bad until someone buys it and realises it's bad - is that that person's fault? Just putting another question into the mix..

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I never really saw this as an issue. I do research on everything I purchase as well as read reviews and ask opinions of friends I know that may have the same product. The only products I really fell are a gamble to me are Cards. Split Spades purchased from E is the only time I had purchased something that I ended up hating.

I am cautious when I go to make a purchase on E because often times the product doesn't have many reviews... or it could have tons of reviews but they're all bad and E wouldn't post those, what website would really. I tend to go to T11 or Penguin for my magic needs these days...

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
This article applies to much, much more than magic. Imagine if we applied these principles to everything we bought, and everyone applied these principles.

Truth be told, I don't know the writer's experience with magic; from the timbre of his article, one might think he's the type that gets disillusioned with a trick because the secret doesn't knock his socks off, even though he has no spectator reaction backing his opinion. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt: He probably he has much experience and an extensive-enough library/tool kit to have good authority on what is bunk. But even if my assumption is incorrect, his message loses no relevance: We should all be responsible spenders.

I find his point about telling creator/distributor/dealer WHY you will no longer buy from them absolutely critical. If we are tired of getting shoddy products, we have to let those people know, if we want things to improve. Dealers would also appreciate a note recognizing that distinction, I imagine: "Hey, Dealer X. Creator's stuff isn't so great, in my experience. I probably won't buy stuff from Creator anytime soon."

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Good article, and I agree that it applies to more than just magic.

I have to admit I am guilty of falling for the advertising myself. Hey, I am human after all. But in all cases, it's my choice. There's no one else to blame.

No company, no website, no advertising can force me to buy the lastest trick because I want that reaction, or I want to know how it's done, etc. etc. I make that choice. So does everyone.

Personally, I can't stand the E haters or the people who whine when T11 promotes a product. They are a business. That's what they and any business does. They are doing their job.

You are a consumer. You do YOUR job: reseach, think, and if YOU decide, you buy. Or you can decide to ignore the advertising and save your money...

...but in the end, it's your choice. Always.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results