Saturday Night Contest - One Year Anniversary

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
It will be a year ago tomorrow since we first released the offspring of the thoughts and ideas of many revolutionaries within magic. There have been countless Saturday Night Contests - some funny, some serious - but tonight we want to focus on something more important. How have you grown in magic over this last year?

Tomorrow, on the anniversary of our initial launch, we will release a special podcast with thoughts and discussion on what we feel we've accomplished over this past year, and what you can look forward to in the future.

But tonight we're curious as to what you feel you've accomplished? What has theory11 done to aid in your magic accomplishments? How have you grown and improved this year? Provide us with one story or experience that has made an impact on your magic over this last year. It's not about skill. This doesn't need to be long, just a few paragraphs explaining what you feel you've accomplished this last year in magic or cardistry.

Tonight's winner will receive a 1-on-1 of your choice. All submissions must be in on or before 11pm EST. God speed.

Sep 2, 2007
This past year, I have made a LARGE leap in my magic career: I've branched away from cards. in thi spast year I also joined my magic club which let me further my presentation skills so much and my magic is just all around better. I have gotten help from friends, both personal and online as well as learned the importance of cards: You don;t need the newest, coolest deck out there. sure, I'm happy to have gotten some brown wynns, and first ed. guardians. but after about a week, it doesn;t matter and people concentrate more on the cards themselve than on the performance.

This past year, I have also started to perform more often. I also have hit the point in my creative juoces where I get 'wow's from othewr magicians instead of 'cool's and 'this was done by so and so'. Most of my effects are completely my own now, there are still a couple that I discover are not mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2008
England
What have I achieved in magic this year?

This year I started magic, I went from having a curious interest and knowing what a double lift was to actually devoting many hours to learning and performing tricks. Friends and Family have told me how I've improved, how now I can actually amaze rather than them pretending I'm good. I found Theory11 and with it came a development of my own style, ideas and ethics within magic and cardistry.

Through magic I have changed, maybe I'm more confident, maybe I'm more interesting or too obsessed. But I have found a passion, something that I think about and I'm always driven to do. That feeling of me showing that a joker is in the centre of the deck and there chosen card has 'transported' into a sealed ziplock bag... You can't beat it. That's what I have achieved and hope to for many years to come.

Put simply, I have improved performance and technique. And found a passion.
One that is going to leave me holding a deck of cards for many years to come, flourishing with nothing in my hands and Tenkai palming anything that bends.

That was it, pretty serious, so to bring it down a notch yeah I do flourish with nothing. Or biscuits. I get weird looks too.

Thanks magic and Theory11 it's been a great few months :)

-S

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
i haven't been in magic a long time, but my time at TH11 has improved my magic tenfold. i was a U-tube magician, (sorry) and my best trick was the colour monte. Now after cruising these forums for about 1/2 a year, i can really call myself a magician. I didnt know what a one hand top palm was, i didn't know a chalier cut could be a pass,I didnt ever think i would be able to palm cards (Gamblers cop, thanks D+M) i hadn't even heard of the biddle trick. I remember thinking i had invented a colour change, turned out it was the miracle change. everyday on these forums i have learnt something new. One day i hope ill be able to give that back. What do i think i have accomplished this year in magic? a hell of a lot

Thanks to all - Freezingaces

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
I have grown plenty in skill and audience management but that's not what I want to talk about. What I am really going to talk is how I have grown in giving. I have the power to make people happy and for a moment take their mind of daily stresses and enjoy life and I shouldn't let it go to waste.

I've started to do some shows for free. Like last week I was performing in an home for the elderly, and month ago for children with autism. Of course I do get something out of it. I get the gift of giving, the gift of happiness.

Its a shame to let talent go to waste and that is what I realized. Don't do nothing as I like to put it. So how have I grown? I've grown to give, I've grown to care, and I've grown to love doing magic just to magic people happy. That is what it's all about and that is what I have grown to see.

-Michael

Dec 3, 2007
From the opening of this great website (a year)... my interest in magic and cardistry have grew from 50 to a 100... this made a big impact and change my interest.

I dunno what came to me but theory11 helped me break in to my interest and grow through its products, media section, and especially the community...

:D "Theory11 is truly the next theory in magic" :D

Jun 25, 2008
What theory11 means to me is

Tricks
Houchin
Experience
Outrages
Rocking
Yellow
1-site
1-awsesome site

An experience ive had using one of the Theory11 tricks is angle zero.
Now this trick is "Da' bomb":p.
Ok my relatives live in Europe and I go to them over the summer.
So one day when i was there I show like everyone in my family angle zero the way madison does it with the clock.And everyone like freaked out.My grandma wanted me to do it over and over again.And like every time I did it she could never figure it out.Probobaly one of the best tricks ever:D

I feel that ever since Ive found this site my magic has jumped to the next level.
I spent alot of time on Ellusionist before i found T11 and I didnt understand what I was missing out on .The community is awesome and the magic is even better.The artist actually talk to us .On Ellusionist the closest you could get to talking with anyone is watching a video.

Just the cocepts theory11 supplies you with changes your magic forever.

All in all im glad i found Theory11:D

Sincerely,
Theguardian123456
(a.k.a Daniel:))

Well Last year I was a noob. Didn't know much. Used to go on youtube and look up tutorials. As time went on I started finding people like dan and dave, daniel madison, and others. When theory11 opened the only people I knew where Dan and Dave, wayne houchin, and lee asher. When chris kenner's video came out I was like "who the hell is this guy"." They should have gotten brad christian" lol I really said that. Then once the site opened and I saw the tricks that they have. I waiting a while and started searching on youtube for them. I found out that they all required gimmicks. Now believe it or not I really want to show those tricks to my parents, and friends so I actually ordered them. I got distortion and from that day on I started ordering my products. So without theory11 I would have still been looking for tutorials. lol. Now over the months I practiced and I learned more about the artists and I became more of a magician. But I had one problem. I didn't feel like performing to other people except my parents and a few close friends. Now that same day I had my deck on me and my distortion gimmick and was going to my friends house to show him some tricks. On my way there I saw my other friends in a McDonald lol. So I stopped there and got a drink and decided since I have my cards why not show them a trick. So I showed them a few tricks and I noticed that people started gathering and watching me. I showed a few tricks like two card monte and biddle trick but the real killer was distortion. I got alot of great reactions for that. In the end everyone loved the show. That day gave me enough inspiration to go perform more. So thanks wayne houchin and theory11 for the trick. This year was a bit weird but I've become the best magician on he whole site now. Basically I stopped looking up tuts, I performed more and I became a real magician.

Well I began (rather re-began) magic a few months prior to T11, and I was in a sea of curiosity whilst being lost in it as well like most people new to magic. I had little idea where to go other than Google to find resources...and upon my delving into the abyss of the internet I found many useless free magic sites, with all the same things but at some point I found T11.

Upon arriving with the dark and elegant background I knew that this wasn't some site created with 0 expectation to be nothing...this was something a bit more serious. Again being new I poked my head in and out of the forums and product section...while not buying or deciding...but studying. I never bought from T11 for awhile, and then and even now T11 helped me and brought me to other things.

I've been apart of various forums, but this community to these forums was amazing compared to the others (note: none of those other forums were magic related). I read nearly every posted thread to grace the forums...and I find many helpful. The greatest part was of course the reviews section. Hundreds (I think) of reviews on various products and many people to add to the products themselves. I was pointed in the right directions...I was told where to begin with and what to not get as amazing they were...they would be incredibly difficult. I was put on a right...rather since paths are near unlimited in numbers...a good path to where I went with magic.

T11 got me going where I should go, and ultimately prevented me making a mistake on where to go. Whether inevitably I'd find what I needed to anyways, T11 sent me there right away and for that...regardless if at the time they never actually physically contributed to me (Didn't purchase anything from them) they did something even greater.

Well to talk about more specifically my year...seeing as I was fairly new it was nothing but improvement. I've learned and practiced many many sleights to add onto my small collection of a double lift and a blind riffle shuffle :D. Also to break my card exclusive agenda I have learned and have been introduced to coin magic...which even though I am not proficient in I have gained precious knowledge to work on and an utmost respect for the art. My year would be a bit hard to explain as it was nothing but improvement with little to no stops in my progress...but with me being only a little over a year into the art...I imagine it to be alike to many others in their beginning....year.

Edit: Also T11 introduced me to a little thing called cardistry (or flourishing or XCM =P)....which before I thought I invented after I made a 4 packet cut and didn't know to call it lol.

~PaCo

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
Before I found Theory11, I was all about coins, all my performances consisited of nothing but coins. Then when theory11 started releasing 1on1s I had gotten the Card Fundamental downloads, and now a good half of my routines use cards. Another thing I like about this place is that the artists participate in the forums, and they are really laid back, and when people complain they listen and fix whatever complaints the forum members had.

Jun 20, 2008
Belchertown, MA
One love, MAGIC. Thank you

I started magic this year. As I was starting I simply loved it and loved being able to make someone else happy by performing to them. I then found one site that brought me up and beyond loving magic. It made me appreciate magic, explore magic and meet some of the greatest magicians in the world.

Theory11 gave me confidence to go out and perform and to believe in myself. If it wasn't for this site, I probably would not be doing magic right now but since i did it has just been a place for me to go, a place for answers when I need help. I am the only one in my town who does magic so I really have no one to share magic with or appreciate it as much as I do so that is why this site is so important to me.

When I performed Angle Zero for a bunch of random people and they saw that piece the amazement and awe of their faces, just gave me such a rush and this indescribable feeling that I new this is what I wanted to do. I found my passion.
Thanks to Theory11 for being so connected with their public and always thinking how they can help us more has just been one of the greatest feeling in my life.

Thank you Theory11 for being one of the best magic sites out.

Mat

Mar 3, 2008
I actually quit magic a while ago, because of boringness. But 1 day, I looked up "magic trick website" to try to give it a try again. I found theory11, and BAM, i was hooked. Theory11 has changed my magic A LOT. It has inspired me to try different things, and participate in more events, such as contests. I have tried many different types of magic, such as coins, ropes, etc because of theory11. I have met many people through theory11. People to share ideas with, and get their opinions on things. I have found out about many, MANY new famous magicians. Once I found about all of these magicians, I checked out their work, and loved it. Thus expanding my magic repertoire, and giving me more to perform. And the more I perform, it gives me more entertainment, and a better act. Thank you theory11, you really changed my magic life.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
In the last year i have really achieved i think in magic i went from learning a simple ambitious card routine ( which i still use to this day ) to learning things like Prophet, Disortion, Factory Sealed, Stigmata and much more. Learning all the principles to how they work studying and applying my self and putting them to my liking the way i do magic not acting to be someone else.

Now when i look at something new ill look at it for a while read the reviews instead of going straight into it and buying it and maybe end out dissapointed then when theory11 opened it was great i got into the forums i still check them out everyday. You can tell people about your expiriences and post vids and get positive feedback that pushes you to keep going

Theory11 to me is a development in the magic community and magic as a whole.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Well first off, this past year I've definitely found an online home for my magic, Theory11 has one of my favourite communities (for the most part) and I'm not just saying that either - you guys are all wicked awesome.

With regards to how I've progressed, I'm not sure really 'cause there's been a lot of things happening as this is/has been my second year in magic. But I'd probably only count it as my first as I've really started to take on board a serious approach to it all.

At first it was all about learning a new trick and showing it to friends to see whether I could fool them - I look back on it now and seriously wish I hadn't. I look back and realise how much magic I and in the process they have missed out on - hopefully a magician in the future can show them what I couldn't.

Over this year, I've integrated much more into the magic community and I'm even going to my first convention this year (provided I get up off my buttocks and find a hotel to stay at >_>). I'm going to email my magic circle again and see about joining - after my first ever lecture (by our very own Aaron Fisher) I can certainly see the benefits everyone talks about by listening to the pro's. Heck even with Justin Miller's live chats (which are awesome by the way - Justin you are the man) the other night I felt like I was being imparted knowledge I couldn't have done without.

I've also come to develop some of my own personal views on magic (which I see I share with a lot of other people). I've made a lot of good friends with whom I love having awesome discussions and jam sessions with.

With regards to actual physical sleight of hand stuff, I guess I've branched out into doing different kinds of magic (coins, rope etc.) and looking at what fits me and what I'd be able to perform to my best. I've made it my new goal to change my sleight of hand so everything is fluent, elegant and has purpose; inspiration for which came from watching Jean-Pierre Valerino - who I strongly recommend you guys check out, totally inspiring.

Aside from all this, I've also managed to learn a bit of self-control. Before, I would take a deck of cards with me almost everywhere in hope of performing magic. Now, I've got it into my head that there's a time and place for magic and if I'm with my friends, I should be having fun with them as a group - not to say that we can't have fun with magic of course - but magic, for me, has a time to be done. Even if it is a passion (which for me it's certainly become) we have to realise that we still have lives and personal duties to our friends and family we must uphold first and foremost.

Also, world peace.

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
This is my 1000th post on these forums. And I see no better way to use it than to describe how Theory 11 has helped me this past year.

Here, an idea is reinforced that magic is an art just like painting or acting or dance or music or film making. T11 has come out with a lot of great products, a couple of which I invested in, but I feel that the greatest thing it has given me is a respect for my art.

Over the past year, I have taken a great deal of pride in my magic. No longer do I half-assed-ly mention that I do magic. I now have the confidence to assert that I am a magician. Magic has become something deeper for me than just some cool tricks. It is a rich art that I can share with real people.

Now, I impart on the people I perform for that what they are seeing is art. I do my best to show them the beauty of illusion.

Theory 11 did for me what Blaine did for magic in 1997. He showed that magic is about people and their reactions. T11 showed me that magic is an art and should be treated as such. And as a result, I have given my art more respect. This respect has manifested itself not only in my presentation but in the actual work I do for my effects. Respecting my magic has allowed me to improve beyond any measure I previously thought conceivable.

So, here's to another year of Theory 11 and another 1000 posts. Here's to our art.

Jan 18, 2008
memphis,tn
I sterted magic one year ago in August. I watched Criss Angel, and he got me interested. I laerned tricks from youtube, and never practiced. After I learned that youtube tutorials aren't good, I started buying products. In about December or January, I started looking at forums, and I have matured so much in magic from one year than most kids like me do in 4 years (IMO). I even have my shows and everything ready. One year ago today, I was looking for a card trick on youtube, now, I am learning some more coin magic, and everything inbetween. I have talked to Lee Asher because of T11, and he has given me priceless advice. I have also gotten some freakin awesome cards because of T11!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results