How do you answer hard questions?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
-Always be set up for your favourite bill switch. My preferred bill switch is a workhorse change of my own. Very simple.
-"can you make me float?" No, but I can make this coin/bill/card/ring/whatever you like float from your hand...

CL

Apr 28, 2008
"can u pass a card through a window like criss angel" yea i do kaos

I don't think this approach is a very good idea. Once you accept their challenge you are then performing on their terms.

This process could just continue. Once you pulled a card through the window you could just get something else like 'can you walk on water like Criss Angel'.

"This is magic...not miracles"

I think this is a great line, you acknowledge what they say but make a joke out of it and you're still in control of the performance.

If anybody asks me if I can do something like a levitation I just say no and offer to show them something else. If they persist with asking me to do something I can't I just stop performing.

You need to politely make it clear to them that you're not their trained monkey that does whatever trick they want whenever they want you to.

Although I rarely get these questions, while I never actually state it I make it quite clear that my magic is purely sleight of hand and is skill based. When the audience knows this it's unlikely that they will ask me to levitate.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I always get asked this ''Can you levitate like criss angel or can you make a coin vanish out of my hand'' If i get asked something like this i say ''Let me show you something you've never seen or heard before''

That always works for me when im put into a situation like this.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Daniel Garcia said in his Kaos dvd:

"This is magic...not miracles"

I have used that line ever since;)

Ha ha... That IS a great line. I forgot about that!

I've been in this situation a few times and I find it to be rather delicate. As a performer, I don't like to disappoint my audience. Yet at the same time, I don't want them to think that I can't do what they're asking to see. So yes, it is a difficult situation, but you MUST maintain control as a performer. If you just give in and do what people tell you to do when they tell you to do it, you're not a magician anymore. You're a monkey.

You want people to feel lucky that they got to see you do anything at all.

Sometimes you get people that just don't know when to drop it. Then you just have to tell them, "No."

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
You need to politely make it clear to them that you're not their trained monkey that does whatever trick they want whenever they want you to.

Agreed! Make sure you're always in control. The only time I ever have trouble with the whole not-being-a-trained-monkey-thing, is when I go down to Florida, I go the same time as several other families go. The same week every year. So I see the same people every time. I have a lot of hot blonds that always ask to see a trick every time they see me. And for some reason, I just can't tell them no. It might be because I don't want to get them to ticked off, cause towards the end of the week they always give me a few goodbye presents, that I would hate to miss, if you catch my drift(magic is awesome, but nothing beats blond bombshells :D).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results