Fix a flourish?

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
Ever had to? ive recently spent a good hour fixing my revolution cut, ive had it down since i began basically, one of the first moves i learnt, but i have been doing it slightly incorrectly, (ring finger going too far back)

This had never been a major problem, i had incorparated it into lots of cuts and it hadnt been a problem, but i recently filmed my attempts at Daren's squeeze cut, and ive just noticed a giant pause... i realised this was due to incorrect technique, and so ive spent an hour solid making sure my ring finger is in the right place, and i'm glad i did, its improved all the sybil>revolution, madonna>revolution cuts tenfold.... (dont really know which context to use that word in but i wanted to!)

so has anyone ever had to re-work a previously mastered utility? maybe you were doing the wrong flares on sybilism, or had the wrong grip for a cut?

just curious, cheers

Joe...

Oct 21, 2007
yea i had to fix the flare on my sybilism and the part were you drop the packt in madonna 3. now its all good

Sep 1, 2007
unless you do everything perfectly the first time you try it (not bloody likely) then you will constantly be "fixing" all of your flourishes ;)

I'm still fixing my revolution cut, when I drop the packet I push it up with my first finger instead of the ring finger which makes for a pause and makes it impossible to do fast...I'm still fixing it as my muscles are used to the first finger so I use that instinctively now.

~PaCo

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
unless you do everything perfectly the first time you try it (not bloody likely) then you will constantly be "fixing" all of your flourishes ;)

i know what you mean, but have you ever done something for ages, find out its wrong, and have to convince your hands to do something different :p

Sep 4, 2007
Pandora. The first part where you snag a card off a packet to instantly display. Leon corrected me on it and I had a hell of a time convincing my fingers to do otherwise.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
i know, its so annoying to get used to something, and then not being able to change it and convince your fingers otherwise... :mad:

Oct 12, 2007
i don't really understand all this "right" and "wrong" crap in flourishing..it's kinda pointless if you ask me.
When you do a move, do you really feel the need to not only do it with the exact same finger positionings as someone else...but you also have to do it with the same movements and style as them as well?

you flared wrong...your finger was on the wrong corner...you used your ring finger instead of your index finger...it's pretty stupid if you ask me.

there really is no "wrong" way to do something, there is a different way..but not a wrong way aas long as the general outcome is the same.

when doing a flipback..i use my index finger and pinky to grip the short sides of the deck.....instead of using the thumb and pinky to grip the sides.

so does that mean i am doing the move wrong?..would you even notice it unless i brought it up. it looks just the same, has the same outcome....and more importantly..I feel more comfortable with that grip.

Yes Vincent in some (many) cases that is...the case but in some this is not. You quoted my example of a ring and index mix-up but I stated I couldn't do the move properly because of this as their was a pause that always happened and I couldn't do the move at a descently fast speed.

Also the examples given were that they realized that they did it in their own fashion and found they were doing it differently then taught...but as you said you do whats comfortable for yourself and how can one know there comfort without trying other options?

~PaCo

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
I do agree to an extent Vincent, and variations are a personal touch, but what if i grip the packet wrong in the skater display (with my ring) how would i be able to achieve the skater cut kickflip... having finger positions off a little is one thing, but to stop you performing the flourish in another cut (eg revolution in madonna) is another thing...

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Due to hold the packet incorrectly for The Werm I couldn't make it as large as all the performances I had been seeing. I finally realized that it wasn't due to lack of practice, I was just holding it a bit off which made the difference.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results