Magic Club

Sep 1, 2007
Ok, well I've been in debate about this for a while, and I'm curious to see how you would (or do) go about this.

So I want to start a magicians club at my school, to get people interested in magic, but I don't know how to go about it, I'm not going to teach or should I, defiantly not in the first month or so, try and weed out the people that only want secrets. Should I teach flourishes and card handling/coin handling and then offer paid lessons?

Should I just teach flourishes for a while? or start off with some basic things, how to hold cards, the different grips, and start with shuffles and table flourishes?

I want to know how you would do this guys, what to teach, if to teach and when to teach it, how to go about it or if to do it at all.

~Beans

Aug 31, 2007
California
that's a cool idea. i kinda wanted to do the same thing, but i'm sure in my school your rep goes downhill if you are a magician. guess it's not really a big thing here.

Sep 1, 2007
The thing is, I'm making it a big thing at my school, I'm the only magician at my school, and I'm going to make something of it, I did a little school performances to make sure I had a reputation, then kept it separate from school until, and now I'm planning a huge illusion, thats top secret :-D

~Beans

Well it's totally up to you but, I'd want to be the only magician in my school if I had the opportunity, if your going to start a club then you'd probably have to teach everyone and such and that could take a while, and it also means you'd be revealing stuff to them. And if it spreads then most people will know how to do everything you do and it won't be that great anymore. So it's totally up to you but I'd rather stray against it and just do performances.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
I was thinking that I would teach them card handling, grip false shuffles, like cheat stuff, and if they wanted to learn magic effects and the like, I would do paid lessons.

sure there can be people at my school doing magic, but as the teacher, I'm the best one :-D and who doesn't want to see the best :)

~Beans

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
you know what, my friend came up with this idea of making a magic club at school too...

but when i think about it, i guess people will just join for free tricks and not really going to practice what you teach them (maybe not everyone, but most of them...?)

you wouldn't want people to start spreading all the secrets out, i suppose?
if you are the only magician at school, just let it be that way~ :) it makes you more special than anyone else at school.

It's contradictory sometimes; on one hand, I want more people to understand more about magics; but on the other hand, I just don't want them to know about it, so that they don't expect anything before i do a trick .

that's just my opinion. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I know, thats why I think I should do nothing but flourishes and card handling, theory and otherwise, no tricks except the basic math ones, and only use it to stress how important presentation is, It'll be somewhat of an acting class but magic mixed in, and if they want to learn, they'll have to pay.

~Beans

Sep 1, 2007
California
cool idea ... but me personally i like to show people the magic and not teach it(sorry)

But i defenatly think you should do that at your school...

But as you said you should weed out the people who only want secrets and won't practice it:)

cbols23

Sep 1, 2007
do people actually read the point of "not teaching tricks, but card handling, and offering paid lessons for actual tricks." or does everyone kinda skip it.

~Beans

sorry but thats like the 4th time

Sep 1, 2007
Ceres, Ca.
do people actually read the point of "not teaching tricks, but card handling, and offering paid lessons for actual tricks." or does everyone kinda skip it.

~Beans

sorry but thats like the 4th time

Not to put too fine a point on this but...You're not proposing a club, you're describing a class for which you hope to be paid.

You'd save a lot of time just advertising "Magic Lessons".

Dave

Sep 1, 2007
Not to put too fine a point on this but...You're not proposing a club, you're describing a class for which you hope to be paid.

You'd save a lot of time just advertising "Magic Lessons".

Dave

I'm proposing a class, but I have to say it's a club, thats the only way I can do it through school, so yes, a class, and have them pay for lessons, same way as you'd pay for a beginners dvd

~Beans

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results