The Expert

Aug 1, 2008
Salinas, CA
Does Anyone own the Book The Expert at The Card Table By S. W. Erdnase. Just wanted to know how useful it is and is getting the small version any good?

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
You can get the "bible" version for free online...cause it's been over 50 years since it was printed....not sure of the link anymore. Problem is, you have to print it yourself, and cut and bind it.....TOTALLY not worth the trouble when you can buy it for $10. It is good for your PDA or iTouch / iPhone....other than that....just get the book.

It's a standard in card magic.

Jul 10, 2008
This is a very good book. I highly recommend it, but you might as well go for the full version. Check out Lybrary.com you can download the full version in pdf format.

Sep 2, 2007
London
In my opinion it's one of the Holy Trinity of essential card books (Royal Road and Expert Card Technique being the other two). I have the Dover edition and a PDF version, but I'm going to get the Gambler's Book Club reprint as well so I've got a copy where my page numbers match up with the original text. If you're into the history as well as the sleights, I'd recommend getting a facsimile old edition as well.

trebmalrolyat

Banned
Sep 2, 2007
There are a LOT of versions of this book, I have th epowner edition, which H&R has nearly the entire stock of, but there are many version, annotated, bible, powner, etc. all of which are good. there are also many other books that are pretty muh the same, The Card Magic of Le Paul is pretty much his take on erdnase, as well as some marlo books.

check em out at magicbookshop.com

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Absolutely essential.

You have a couple choices...

The Annotated Erdnase, which features footnotes and additional text featuring more streamlined/effective applications/handlings of the sleights fro mloads of different card guys.

Vernons Revelations, which is Vernon's ultimate treatise on the expert, featuring his preferred handlings, variations, and applications for the sleights in Erdnase, with loads of photographs.

The original text, in all it's glory. If you're going to go for the basic manuscript, you should get the one with the Martin Gardner introduction, as it's a very nice read and a very apt intro.

Also, the leather bound 'pocket Bible' version from the conjuring arts researcg centre is VERY sexy!

CL

Absolutely essential.

You have a couple choices...

The Annotated Erdnase, which features footnotes and additional text featuring more streamlined/effective applications/handlings of the sleights fro mloads of different card guys.

Vernons Revelations, which is Vernon's ultimate treatise on the expert, featuring his preferred handlings, variations, and applications for the sleights in Erdnase, with loads of photographs.

The original text, in all it's glory. If you're going to go for the basic manuscript, you should get the one with the Martin Gardner introduction, as it's a very nice read and a very apt intro.

Also, the leather bound 'pocket Bible' version from the conjuring arts researcg centre is VERY sexy!

CL

I HIGHLY recommend getting the original text first, without the annotations. I advise fellow students to study the text, write some notes and practice the moves, when you develop an understanding of the material, get the annotations. This way you'll appreciate and understand the notes way more.

Anyone can get them now though, you'll never know if they'll go OOP ...

Cheers,

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results