theory11 news bulletin 09/10/08 : Special Presentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gared_Crawford

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I have to agree with J. Bayme. In my opinion this set will be worth it's weight in gold even for people who already own the book. The most valuable aspect of this is getting to see the creator (Chris) perform all of his own creations...all the great stuff that he poured his soul into over the last 20 years or so. Not to mention the fact that Chris HAS actually performed this stuff thousands of times so you know they are not pipe dreams. It's also the entertainment value that a set like this would have...even more entertaining than that amazingly funny book.

And it's true...every time I have hung out with Chris he always had a new refinement for one or more of these gems from his book. You would be an idiot not to buy this!!! So what if the kid next door starts doing 3 fly...the idea is that this should inspire you all with a fresh sense of creativity and high standards...not so that you can just learn every trick in his book(DVD) and attempt to add them to your repertoire. It just doesn't work that way.

That's not to say we would not benefit from experimenting with every trick in the book...we would all be better magicians for having done so. What else can I say?

-gC

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I'm very excited about this.

So when you say 50 hours of footage . . . Does this mean actually 50 hours combined DVD's?
Like, I will be in my room for 2 days + 2 hours?
lol

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
I am looking at this realistically. Every kid on the block? Wow, I never knew so many people I knew even heard of Theory 11. I guess every person I know had me fooled. Wow, I better stop buying stuff from here.

Can some of you guys stop saying that we are [insert inappropriate jerk comment here] and look at this realistically? ;)

-Doug

If TOOC is released on theory11, other magic sites will buy and sell it on their website. People need not order it from theory11. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if every kid on the block buys the DVD after it gets released.

D

Deleted member 2755

I have to agree with J. Bayme. In my opinion this set will be worth it's weight in gold even for people who already own the book. The most valuable aspect of this is getting to see the creator (Chris) perform all of his own creations...all the great stuff that he poured his soul into over the last 20 years or so. Not to mention the fact that Chris HAS actually performed this stuff thousands of times so you know they are not pipe dreams. It's also the entertainment value that a set like this would have...even more entertaining than that amazingly funny book.

And it's true...every time I have hung out with Chris he always had a new refinement for one or more of these gems from his book. You would be an idiot not to buy this!!! So what if the kid next door starts doing 3 fly...the idea is that this should inspire you all with a fresh sense of creativity and high standards...not so that you can just learn every trick in his book(DVD) and attempt to add them to your repertoire. It just doesn't work that way.

That's not to say we would not benefit from experimenting with every trick in the book...we would all be better magicians for having done so. What else can I say?

-gC

Thank you.

People need to get creative. I hear people all the time saying how we need to come up with out own patter and not just recite everything the original artist tells us. Then we have people complaining that we will have people doing 3 fry badly... Alright. Well, once you make your own patter, VOILA! You have a completely different trick.

Make things original. Make things yours. I used to always say that I used the original creator's patter because I always liked their patter the best, well a little while back I decided it's time to stop being generic and start being original.

Make things your own. Don't just copy everyone else. If you do that, you will have a good time.

-Doug

D

Deleted member 2755

If TOOC is released on theory11, other magic sites will buy and sell it on their website. People need not order it from theory11. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if every kid on the block buys the DVD after it gets released.

No one I know has heard of any site such as MJM, Penguin, E, T11, or others. (A few have heard of E, but not many... None of them really care either.) Just because it's TOOC does not mean everyone will all of a sudden know about it. ;)

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Despite what you may think, theory11 isn't an "underground" website. A LOT of people know about it.

Tons of people don't make things their own. They do the exact same thing as the creator. And it doesn't matter if the trick is hard, they'll still do it, just incredibly badly. A lot of magicians will agree with me. There's no point of making this dvd.

Refinments? Please point me to the 20-year-experience refinments in the TOOC 1on1's. I don't see any. not insulting Chris, as I said before, he's one of my favorite guys, I just think this is an awful decision.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
There is something in this for everyone. To those of you who posted that already have the book - wait till you see this. Imagine creating an effect, working on it for a while, then publishing it. Then imagine working on it some more, improving it, tweaking it, testing it for TWENTY more years. Imagine what the effect would be like then. That's what we have on our hands here, and you're in for a ride.

The instruction in the DVD is extremely detailed - with tons of tips, alternate handlings, and even some brand new ideas never before published. If you already own the book - this will rock your world. If you are new to the wild world of CK... this will be a damn good first impression. ;)
Now you gave me reasons to get it somehow, even though I have the book ;)

Mar 29, 2008
Just because it's TOOC does not mean everyone will all of a sudden know about it. ;)

-Doug

No offense to chris but when T11 first came up, people where wondering who the hell is this kenner guy? now he is mentioned and talked about all the time on here+other sites, and a lot more people know about TOOC.

As for the set, it doesnt sound bad, those who have the book will most likely not get it, my biggest concern is those people who bought all his one on ones will get almost all the same material from tooc.

Oct 28, 2007

i'm pretty sure that is illegal without T11's permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris.SA
Now you gave me reasons to get it somehow, even though I have the book
____

sigh...some people just don't get it.
____

Aris kinda proved your point. In an indirect way.

Thing I don't get is why people are getting pissed off when Theory11 is giving you quality material. TTOC will be awesome, I'm sure of it. Almost everything T11 has come out with so far hasn't disappointed. I'm pumped for TTOC because I haven't had the chance to buy the book, so I'm going to pick up this DVD set because it's something I've always wanted to own.

Mitch

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Refinments? Please point me to the 20-year-experience refinments in the TOOC 1on1's. I don't see any. not insulting Chris, as I said before, he's one of my favorite guys, I just think this is an awful decision.

It's not your decision to make. CK is the creator and author. He wants to put it out there for whatever reasons he has. Its his decision because its his material. I think its going to be wonderful.

Your argument doesnt stand ground. If some 12 year old gets it and doesnt practice and performs things on it badly how does that effect you? It doesnt. You just do your thing the best you can and let everyone else do crappy performances while you leave them in the dust.

Sep 1, 2007
Guys, I'm sorry if I'm complaining, I'm just sad that so many other people...whatever, you get the point. If you want to buy it, thats fine, I just won't be.

I would get this set... well because i don't have the book (proved your point creeper) now i want the video as well as others who visit this site.

Theory11 can hype up selling a penny, and make it look cool, (good job T11) and i completely and utterly respect that. I think that creepers point is that now everyone will performing these tricks and then showing them on you tube with out that much practice etc... (the circle of overground magic :( ). Anyway if they added some bonus material and some funny extras then its worth it (depending on price obviously) anything over $50 would be ridiculous. IMO

Mar 4, 2008
I would get this set... well because i don't have the book (proved your point creeper) now i want the video as well as others who visit this site.

Theory11 can hype up selling a penny, and make it look cool, (good job T11) and i completely and utterly respect that. I think that creepers point is that now everyone will performing these tricks and then showing them on you tube with out that much practice etc... (the circle of overground magic :( ). Anyway if they added some bonus material and some funny extras then its worth it (depending on price obviously) anything over $50 would be ridiculous. IMO

Well, it basically has to be over $50. The book itself is cheapest $40, and DVDs are usually more expensive than Books.

How do I feel about this?

I am kind of on the annoyed side that they are doing this. Why? you may ask: Because I have the book and the instruction is impeccable and very easy to learn from. But now it is on DVD, and most kids looking to do some "blaining" or "street magic" is going to buy this and go "perform" the effects without proper practice that they deserve because the teaching will be so easier to learn from, even though most slights are very hard. Also DVDs are a lot easier to reveal/share on websites, because it's so easy to share media these days.

Just my $0.02

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Theory11 can hype up selling a penny, and make it look cool, (good job T11) and i completely and utterly respect that. I think that creepers point is that now everyone will performing these tricks and then showing them on you tube with out that much practice etc.
So what? Let them. Yeah its annouying but if your doing it awesome and they suck who wins?
Anyway if they added some bonus material and some funny extras then its worth it
Its Kenner. Need I say more?
(depending on price obviously) anything over $50 would be ridiculous.
It always kills me when people start "opinion price setting" without merit. If CK goes over Missing Link better that alone is worth over $500 dollars. Think about it, for the rest of your life you can fry people with 2 rubber bands. Priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results