Bizzare Magic

May 19, 2008
manchester
well... what is bizzare magic? well heres what a one of them thinks about it...

"One point of confusion for many is the term Bizarre Magic. Bizarre magic in general as been around as long as magic. Geek magic and strange and weird magic and performances can all be considered bizarre magic. This is not what is meant by Bizarre Magick. Bizarre Magick was a movement that grew and promoted a change in the direction magic had been heading. It promoted that strong storytelling combined with magic made for greater entertainment and impact. It also promoted a return to concepts and stories of old. This might include a medieval sorcerer, genies,
demons, witches and more. It is not limited to these old world magic stereotypes but only promotes them. This was all an effort to get away from Vegas style box magic and watch this trick type of magic.

This movement realized itself as a movement in the 1970s led by such figures as Charles Cameron , Tony Sheils, Tony Raven and finally Tony Andruzzi. The bibles of the movement eventually became the publications 'The Invocation' followed by 'The New Invocation' and to a lessor degree Bascom Jone's 'Magick' which was more mentalism based. These publications sometimes paid homage to bizarre people and publications of long ago-
such as Anneman, Stewart James and other old time bizarre style performers.

After the deaths of both Andruzzi and Jones the movement seemed to drift more into the background as far as being in the magic news. The movement never disappeared and is still going strong and has been getting strong play again in some of the magic magazines. MUM the magazine of the SAM organization in particular has been a supporter of the movement also somewhat regular articles appear in Magic and Genii magazine. A reprint book of Andruzzi's rare books is planned which keeps getting delayed but will probably go to press in 2002 or 2003. Invocation was just reprinted about a year or so ago but is already difficult to find again".

so basically bizzare magic is storytelling... or is it? I think what it can also be is exactly what It says, I think it can be bizzare... not a story, instead a plot... instead of "normal" magic where the plot/story is based around the magic, and instead of "normal" bizzare, were the magic is based around the story.
I think you could have something in between... like ill show you what I mean, me and steerpike have been having a "conversation" on bizzare magic with pms, now hes told me lots about bizzare magic, how to get started, how to make your character better, and I like bizzare, I really do, but the problem for me is how to make bizzare, better for ME, im 13, if I told a story about ghosts people arnt going to believe me, well not believe but just accept it, that im talking about ghosts.

so what I want to do is make bizzare and "normal" magic mingle more, yes the story's are awesome, yes the magic is awesome, yes the mind reading is awesome, yes everything is awesome... but what about putting all that awesomeness together... Ill show you an example...

everyone knows the 21 card trick, but in david blaines book mysterious stranger he makes it shorter, so its not so long and boring, so instead of seven piles of three theirs three piles of seven, and then it becomes the 21 card trick, anyway, I saw that if you do what he says, and then count down 13 cards, you find their card... so now you have the numbers 3, 7, 21 and 13, all the lucky/unlucky numbers, and you have a bizzare/magic piece.

so does that happen ever? do any of you do that?

the end

Nov 23, 2007
NC
The first person on these forums that comes to mind when discussing bizzare magic is the infamous Steerpike. Dispite what others may say or write he is very helpful and will offer you some good advise on the subject. You could try to pm him or wait until he hits this thread.

I'm not sure if that example of the 21 trick would be considered bizzare but there may be ways to tweak it out to make it that way.

May 19, 2008
manchester
"I think you could have something in between... like ill show you what I mean, me and steerpike have been having a "conversation" on bizzare magic with pms, now hes told me lots about bizzare magic, how to get started, how to make your character better"

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not sure if that example of the 21 trick would be considered bizzare but there may be ways to tweak it out to make it that way.

Off the top of my head, the 21 card trick can be made into a bizarre routine with a prediction, the major arcana cards of a Tarot deck, some candlelight, perhaps a little cold reading...

Lots of ways you could do it.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Funny thing is the only people who will categorize a "Style" of magic are magicians. People outside of our realm simply call it "magic" (or lame if yer one of the sucky ones). There is no coin trick, rope trick, bizarre magic differentiation. Just MAGIC.

Magicians assume I do this type of magic because of my stage name. I have also had people group what I do into geek or sideshow stunts (which is silly but whatever). Call it what you will, bizarre, shock, geek, demented, etc. To those who pay the bills, they don't care. You just better be good at it.

May 19, 2008
manchester
yeah, but I mean what about making your own style? like really differant, like derren brown is insane mind reading, risky stunts (like russion rullete), and qeustioning beleifs.

(I know I spelt half of that wrong)

and I mean, why cant bizzare magic be bizzare magic, instead of bizzare storys? understand?

also people do say what style it is, like, he did a card trick, a coin trick, something really weird, he floated... and names like that.

Jun 23, 2008
geek?

geek magic? Im taking a stab in the dark and guessing that isn't connected with the old carnival freak show kind. cuz a geek was someone who would eat ANYTHING!!! hmmm there is a guy call monsieur mangetout... he's known for eating loads of things like coffins and planes and stuff like that... does anyone know if that's real or has it got magic weaved in there somewhere? sorry to deviate a lil from the thread... :confused:

love'n'wiggles

xxxlolaxxx

Sep 1, 2007
geek magic? Im taking a stab in the dark and guessing that isn't connected with the old carnival freak show kind.

It kind of is, but only loosely.

Geek magic constitutes the consumption of dangerous materials (razor blades, broken glass, motor oil), self-mutilation, sideshow stunts, and general shock magic.

It's erroneously assumed to be the same as bizarre magic by some, but the two really have no direct relation to one another.

Jun 23, 2008
so

so im guessing that people like Jim Rose who is a world famous block head actually is just a kind of magician but pretends he isn't. Or do they have some sort of special physiology?

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Geek magic tends to be things like the Needle thru arm (Magic version) and razor blade effect (in which Rose DOES do).

Initially the geek was a term for someone who (for the most part) was known for biting the heads of chickens and whatnot, but much like how street magic evolved to what it is not in our current use of the word, Geek can be anything from blockhead to it's original meaning.

Hell now geek usually brings up the image of someone who knows too much about computers.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results