Restaurant

Jan 4, 2008
Hello all,

I might be performing at a restaurant here in sacramento. I just wanted to know how to go about performing for customers i.e. who to go to, where to start, skip a few people, which table to go to next, etc. I am new to the restaurant environment with experience only at other events. Thanks you very much.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Sorry, but if you have to ask these questions, you clearly are not ready, and should not take the gig. Let me reiterate- don't take the gig! Wait a few months until you've had time to read experiences, stories, tips, books, etc.- you will be more prepared, and therefore do a much better job, and hopefully get more gigs from it! Good luck!

Jun 27, 2008
Illinois
Sorry, but if you have to ask these questions, you clearly are not ready, and should not take the gig. Let me reiterate- don't take the gig! Wait a few months until you've had time to read experiences, stories, tips, books, etc.- you will be more prepared, and therefore do a much better job, and hopefully get more gigs from it! Good luck!

i really do not agree at all. he asked a question to get better informed. if you ask a question about a trick in product questions to see about angles of a trick does that mean you are not ready to perform it?-Hell no it doesnt! i asked a similar question to this a while ago and i was dissapointed to get sililar responces like the one above. nothing against adjones, i find much of what he posts very helpful. i just feel the complete opposite. when i asked a question like this one i wanted to know more about the environment and what to charge and such. and i am not about to go buy books and dvds just to find that out. i would spend money on that stuff if i was already doing restaurant magic and was looking to improve, not to see if i wanted to do it.

as for your question, to get an adequate responce form those of us that will give them, we need to now more about where yuou aare in magic- styles, routines, and skill levels.

Hello all,

I might be performing at a restaurant here in sacramento. I just wanted to know how to go about performing for customers i.e. who to go to, where to start, skip a few people, which table to go to next, etc. I am new to the restaurant environment with experience only at other events. Thanks you very much.

Well, here are a few questions for you.

1. What performing experience, if any, do you have that you feel prepares to you perform in a restaurant? Please explain.

2. Have you ever done any shows, paid or not, that you feel compares to performing in the real world? Please explain.

3. How old are you? :p

-----------------------------------------

My answers to your questions....

To begin with, there are a variety of ways to go about where to start at, which table, etc. Some performers only go to tables by request, others work the entire room and cold-call individual tables. Then there are guys that work the bar/lobby and work only the tables by request. Personally, I've never worked by request only, but prefer to make my way around the restaurant, performing at tables that seem interested, and build upon that.

My advice to you is this. You better be 100% sure you're ready before you even ATTEMPT to approach a restaurant. That means do your homework now (which you're doing and I do applaud you for that :)), have your routines worked out WAAAAAAAY ahead of time, and all the little details that lead up to the first night, have those down to a "T" so that even the most obvious things seem second nature.

Performing in a restaurant, is more than just that. It's a business, and thus must be treated as such. Remember, you'll be far better off being a great business man and an adequate magician, than the other way around. Relationships are everything in this industry, and it's tough to build up a good one. Once you do, don't make the mistake of burning any bridges.

Sorry if this seems all over the place, just some food for thought that was on my mind at the time. I highly suggest you pick up Jay Sankey's dvd, THE REAL WORK ON RESTAURANTS AND BARS. That was the first, and only, dvd I bought on the subject before I got my very first restaurant gig.

Good Luck, and don't hesitate to PM me (or post here so others can read) any questions you may have.

-Steve

Feb 28, 2008
I don't really have answers to your questions, but I wish you good luck. I do a lot of stuff on the street here in Toronto now and (I don't know if this translates to restaurants) to see who's paying attention, I just flourish a bit and see whose eye it catches. If you make eye contact, walk over, introduce yourself, and see if they're interested... just my two cents.

I hope you take the job, work on your routines, and good luck.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

Whilst I don't completely disagree with you, I don't think it's necessary to have all the answers to those questions before starting - many of those answers simply come with experience, so if you wait for performance experience without actually performing, well just don't hold your breath. The point about preparation is true though. But many of the audience-related questions simply come from experience as with performance anywhere.

s7venD, buy David Stone's DVD's or his book, it will have most of the answers you need.

Sep 15, 2008
Experience.

You've said you have worked other venues and situations; apply that to this. Use your approach there here in your rest. work.

You'll see some magicians talk about not giving the guests an option of turning you down by immediately opening with flame wallet or some other quick, visual effect. However, until you get into the swing of things, don't force them to watch you. Introduce yourself and ask if they'd like to see some of your professional magic. Don't feel bad when you are rejected. it happens.

Also, as far as picking your groups, just look for who you are used to performing to. You don't have to perform for every table. If someone requests you, always perform for them next. Even if it is a bad experience for you, do your best and finish earlier than you normally would.

Good luck with the gig and make sure you let me know how it goes. I have a ton of advice on this subject and would love to share more, but it's 1215 AM and my hands are cramping. But I'll be in touch.

- Frank

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results