Music for the magician...

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
Hello, all! Just a little discussion, i guess...

How many of you guys play music? I think that playing the flute (girl's instrument, I know, but don't mess with me - I'm one of the top in the state :D) has really enhanced my finger accuracy and strength while handling cards. Also, studies show that people who play music are generally smarter and guaranteed to get further in life than those who don't. Don't kill me for saying that, I didn't make the study.

Is music something you do besides magic and cardistry?

Sep 15, 2008
I really wanna learn guitar.

I met a guy who attends the church I go to and I'm hoping he'll teach me. It's something I've always wanted to do.

But I can definitely see how playing would benefit your magic.

As far as the instrument - being smarter thing...Until I learn to play, It's False!!

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Well, Music is my first love!!! I learned to play the guitar and the bass (my favourites)and the piano and the drums for necessity(I play at church sometimes)

Im not very good with the last three but I practice with the guitar a lot, Im also in a band!!!(love the strokes music)
:

Well and magic concerning, I have to say that for those that want to learn a instrument but have already done some magic, I think it would be easier for you, you need dexterity, hand-eyes coordination, some streght in your fingers, and thank god card magic gives it.... As I say it will be easier for you, but remember as in magic, You need to practice ( a lot).

Cheers and have fun practicing!:D

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
guitar - 9 years
drums - 3-4 years
bass.. well any guitarist can play bass.. haha =D - but really, i did get formal training so like.. 3 years.

DEFINITELY helps.. it's mutual; music helps magic, magic helps music.

Apr 28, 2008
I've played Piano for 12 years. I also play Bass occasionally.

As for studies that show that playing an instrument makes you more intelligent, you must remember that correlation does not imply causation, this seems to be overlooked in these studies. It's possible that people who are more intelligent are more likely to learn to play an instrument rather than playing an instrument making you more intelligent.

I don't know if it helps magic, I assume it would make some sleights a bit easier as you will have stronger fingers.

Jun 22, 2008
earth
I've played guitar for around 12 or so years. started playing bass a few months ago. and no, just cause you can play guitar doesn't mean you can play bass. sure you could play, but not well, so I say that that's incorrect.

Music = intelligence, that is a slight overstatement. it's like people believing in the Mozart effect, that too is not true.

But there is no doubt that playing an instrument that uses individual fingers will strengthen you hands thus making card magic a tad easier to grasp.

what do you call a guy who hangs out with four musicians....a drummer :D

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I'm a classically trained singer, though my interests turned to black and death metal 7-8 years ago. I've played in and fronted extreme metal bands since.

And before people attack death metal (not so much black metal, but it very much irritates me when people who have no concept of the genre pass judgement..) it isn't just noise and takes a phenomenal amount of skill to do it right, check out my old band Insidious and just try and follow the timings and scales used at such intense speeds.

www.TechDeathMetal.com

Yes, that is a 13 played at 330 bpm.. Not bad huh?:p

D.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm a classically trained singer, though my interests turned to black and death metal 7-8 years ago. I've played in and fronted extreme metal bands since.

And before people attack death metal (not so much black metal, but it very much irritates me when people who have no concept of the genre pass judgement..) it isn't just noise and takes a phenomenal amount of skill to do it right, check out my old band Insidious and just try and follow the timings and scales used at such intense speeds.

www.TechDeathMetal.com

Yes, that is a 13 played at 330 bpm.. Not bad huh?:p

D.

It's that type of arrogant judgement that really annoys me. I love all sorts of music (right now I'm listening mostly to Tom Waits, The get up kids and Brand New), including Hardcore punk and Noisecore. I really despise the phrase 'Constructed Noise' that some people like to throw around.
Listen to the Locust, try to play that fast at such a technical level, then say that.

Rant over...

I got carried away there!

CL

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
and no, just cause you can play guitar doesn't mean you can play bass. sure you could play, but not well, so I say that that's incorrect.

i know dude.. it was a joke. it's like saying any drummer who can play rock can play jazz or vice versa - almost never true. it was tongue in cheek.

don't even get me started on people who think this is true.. i'm seriously about to start writing a very long post about this but i have to go to bed and i cbf.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
It's that type of arrogant judgement that really annoys me. I love all sorts of music (right now I'm listening mostly to Tom Waits, The get up kids and Brand New), including Hardcore punk and Noisecore. I really despise the phrase 'Constructed Noise' that some people like to throw around.
Listen to the Locust, try to play that fast at such a technical level, then say that.

Rant over...

I got carried away there!

CL

both of you: don't ever put the words "speed/fast" and "skill" in the same sentence - ANYONE out there, and i mean ANYONE can sit in their bedroom and learn to play fast, it just takes time and dedication. i don't care how high the BPM is, i don't care how many 32nd notes you just played, speed counts for NOTHING.

you can't sit there in your bedroom and learn feel. feel counts for EVERYTHING. if ever i make the statement that metal is crap; it's not because it 'noise', it's because it's robotic and monotonous; there is no emotion (bar anger) and there's no musicality.

i will take vinnie colaiuta (youtube him if you don't know who he is) over joey jordison in the blink of an eye.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
both of you: don't ever put the words "speed/fast" and "skill" in the same sentence - ANYONE out there, and i mean ANYONE can sit in their bedroom and learn to play fast, it just takes time and dedication. i don't care how high the BPM is, i don't care how many 32nd notes you just played, speed counts for NOTHING.

you can't sit there in your bedroom and learn feel. feel counts for EVERYTHING. if ever i make the statement that metal is crap; it's not because it 'noise', it's because it's robotic and monotonous; there is no emotion (bar anger) and there's no musicality.

i will take vinnie colaiuta (youtube him if you don't know who he is) over joey jordison in the blink of an eye.

Amen brother, "Across the universe" makes me cry.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne

UMmmmmm... I never mentioned metal? You probably shouldn't quote me then use a moot point. I was agreeing with the sentiment of the post before my own, not attacking anything or anybody in particular.

Also, I never ONCE said that speed amounts to skill. What I said was the combination of speed and skill is amazing.

YOU: Don't ever tell other people what to think in reference to music- it's about expressionism, not conformity.

CL

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Taking JMmah post as a Base, I can tell you, Im not skilled with a guitar, or with a bass, I dont play them because I want to impress somebody, or because I want to show the whole world that I am very fast....

I play guitar because is something that feeds me, Is my Friend, and is sometimes my way to express something I can't with words, that is why I love music, and sorry to talk bad about those guys that said" O I can play fast!try to play that" its sad to use music to do that.

The same goes to magic, I fell the same for magic that I feel for music, and is sad that a lot of people just use it to brag out of them skills.

Well just my thoughts.

Cheers!:D

Feb 12, 2008
I play guitar and sing, primarily for my college-age ministry and jr.high ministry at my church.

Somehow I always find more time to practice magic than I do my music :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results