A huge problem...

Jul 2, 2008
singapore
i have realised in recent times that iv been showing stuff to my friends so frequently that they know whenever i shuffle or cut the deck im controlling their card lol... they just keep watching the hands.. iv tried some quick cuts but no matter what they still suspect the card is at the top or at the bottom. doing a double to prove them wrong doesnt work usually as they are hecklers and not ordinary layman. they do know a thing or two about the double lift and etc. my herman pass isnt even smooth yet and the only double i use is the strike double. do u think i should stop showing them stuff till i learnt new card control and double lift or should i just continue doing stuff which doesnt require doubles like biddle which surprises them as it seems completely fair ? im really concerned about them knowing how a strike double looks like. thanks for any advice in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend the Bluff Pass. Every now and then I will get spectators like your friends. Though when i do the bluff pass I leave them speechless. If you do it right there is just no way to catch it. And then just do a slip cut do bring it all the way to the top if that is where you need it. Let me know how this works for you if you try it out...good luck

Michael

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
haha dude! crap like that happens all the time to me. But usually a good double makes em not suspect anything. Hmm... i guess you COULD just not show them stuff for some time till they beg you to. Tempting as it is to flaunt new material. OR you could just use them as practice and make them half-magicians!

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I think the best way to get out of stuff like this is to do some effects which have no visible methodology, Stuff which doesn't use controls or anything really... PK pen for instance, would be an example.

Use these to warm the audience or your friends to you, once you get into the swing of things you shouldn't have a problem.

I had a hard table the other night, a guy sat to my left I could see may be tough, but in a jokey kind of way, trying to catch me out - I had him select a card, it was forced, but it was a pretty inviz. force, he did say "no, I chose the 3" but that was overlooked by the others and by him when I ripped off a corner and angle zero'd it over to the card box on the table...

Just open with some strong effects with basic or self working methods as little clinchers to get everyone to forget about actively searching for the method as there is none that is apparent.

Hope that helps,

D.

Apr 28, 2008
You shouldn't perform for friends often and you certainly shouldn't if they're hecklers. As soon as anybody attempts to disrupt your performance ask them to stop, if they continue then end the performance.

From what you've told us it sounds like your friends aren't really enjoying the magic, they're just trying to work out what you're doing.

You say you're worried about them knowing what a Strike double looks like, yet you continue to perform it for them?. I think you've answered your own question there.

Also, is it really that hard to use capital letters? Your post is a mess, it's horrible to read.

Jul 2, 2008
singapore
lol, they know always whenever im doing a strike double and even though i do my singles like doubles they just dont see the difference since they know how a strike double looks like. i sometimes do the 1 hand top palm while shaking the deck and it appears the card has changed. their initial reactions was good till they found out how it was done by accident and then they all started trying to do it X) i think they are half- magicians already lol, i think iv been using them too much for practice they blame me for ruining magic for them lol. im thinking of getting a new double lift and card control, from a dvd or something any suggestions? im thinking of the one handed double lift in believe. damn wish i could get diving board double. :) about the capital letters sorry.

Nov 10, 2007
I have had that happen so what I do is have them select a card and i just use the card let them shuffle it and then telling them its not on top or bottom I just try to find it as I am saying that and bring it to the top.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
get panic and they'll... panic?
haha, yea, the best thing to do i guess is to just stop.
I've had that problem with alot of my friends, but i usually confuse them by having a myriad of sleights at my fingertips to throw them off track.

Friends, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends...none of these people can be considered true laymen in my opinion. If you've ever practiced in front of one of your friends, or showed them something too soon, or too often, you've let them peek backstage.

And once they've peeked what goes on behind the scenes, they often find that far more fascinating than the play you're trying to put on for them.

Don't be discouraged. Your friends aren't there to be your most responsive audience, but they'll help you become a better magician if you let them.

Pj

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would say either stop performing for your friends or only show them things that they cannot detect the method. Maybe some effects not using cards. This happens to me as well. If I get too excited with new material and want to show it off..I either do it for friends or family. My family knows not to ask the secret, however my wife pretty much knows how everything works. The friends will bug you to no end or try grabbing things which I hate. It ruins the magic for you and them.

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
Fan control is a good idea I think, because it seems TOTALLY fair. And try to "Clutch" them, they won't see this one coming !

Also, if you're looking for a new DL you should consider learning Lee Asher's Diving Board Double. Really great stuff, and one of the fairest DL I know.

Sep 28, 2007
You should definately look into using the shelf pass. that one gets magicians. also the tilt is an extremely convincing control.

Sep 1, 2007
Honestly, most friends are hecklers.

What I find though is that if I perform a trick just for 1 friend he may be a prick and say, 'saw that flicky thing' or whatever, but if i'm performing for a group and he's there he wouldn't spoil it.

You get what I mean?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
get some jay sankey stuff!! I love jay (not in a homo way lol) but he is the best magic teacher I have EVER come across. Most of his dvd's come with no less than 10 or 15 tricks, all the way up to some that have 30 tricks PLUS bonus tricks, although he does have some one hit wonders. But what does this have to do with your question? When jay teaches a trick, he doesnt go over one or two ways to perform it, but he goes over 5 or 6 ways to do it, maybe one of these ways could fool your friends. I mean seriously, I bought paperclipped, and that dvd is of ONE trick, and it was very close to 2 hours long. Jay is the best.

Apr 28, 2008
I think everyone who is suggesting effects is missing the point.

It doesn't really matter what is being performed, his friends have seen so much magic they are now at the point where they see it as a puzzle to try and work out, not as entertainment. There are many effects which could be used to fool them but what's the point? You can't get any significant reaction from people with this mindset, maybe just 'I didn't see that'. They'll probably just go away and discuss it and try and work out how it was done.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results