Cascade Control?

I find it funny how petty comments and childish posts tend to get in the way of such a 'simple' question. In hopes to steer these messages back on topic, allow me to contribute to the original question on hand here.

The *Cascade Control is a move that requires a certain knack to get down; even after being taught extensively it will leave you with many dilemmas in which you must personally overcome. There is often a misconception that there should be a large Waterfall Flourish performed to control the card - which may explain why certain people think this is an inferior control, and one that is considered "flourishy". In reality, it is quite the opposite. In order to perform this effectively you will need to remember that the control happens on an offbeat (preferably with most 'hidden' sleights) and should not look "flourishy". By this I mean that the cards should not be Waterfalled from a distance above the height of two cards placed horizontally on top of one another; it should merely look as though the cards are being flexed as you toy with the pack (in no-one's mind should there be any thought that any number of cards have changed their positions).

It is getting this casual and relaxed look and feel that will require the most work. Coming from a person who has been messing with this control for many years now, I would personally rate it on the intermediate/advanced level. The technique itself is fairly simple; but the methodology and details behind it will take more work to get down.

An important aspect to remember is that no-one should use any one single control in their performances; but rather different controls that get the job done and can be used for that particular need at that particular time. The Cascade Control is an example of one that should be done on an off-beat. An exception to this is during certain effects when I would like to later demonstrate abilities to find cards from a 'memorized' pack, after openly Cascading the deck. For instance, I would have the spectator peak at the selection and I would say, "It would fairly possible to go through the cards and look through each one, trying to find your card..." [I perform the Control as we both stair at the pack, seeing the cards flutter down.] "The only problem is; I don't know, er.. what your card is.. [sigh]" which can be quite humorous when said in the right way. All I am saying is, it is in no way a "weak" control; the only way it can become weak is by those that decide not to use it in the correct way that fits their style.

I hope this helps :),
Jordan

-------------------------------

*The Cascade Control was published on page 77 of Card Finesse, Volume II by John Racherbaumer (1992).

I find it funny how petty comments and childish posts tend to get in the way of such a 'simple' question. In hopes to steer these messages back on topic, allow me to contribute to the original question on hand here.

The *Cascade Control is a move that requires a certain knack to get down; even after being taught extensively it will leave you with many dilemmas in which you must personally overcome. There is often a misconception that there should be a large Waterfall Flourish performed to control the card - which may explain why certain people think this is an inferior control, and one that is considered "flourishy". In reality, it is quite the opposite. In order to perform this effectively you will need to remember that the control happens on an offbeat (preferably with most 'hidden' sleights) and should not look "flourishy". By this I mean that the cards should not be Waterfalled from a distance above the height of two cards placed horizontally on top of one another; it should merely look as though the cards are being flexed as you toy with the pack (in no-one's mind should there be any thought that any number of cards have changed their positions).

It is getting this casual and relaxed look and feel that will require the most work. Coming from a person who has been messing with this control for many years now, I would personally rate it on the intermediate/advanced level. The technique itself is fairly simple; but the methodology and details behind it will take more work to get down.

An important aspect to remember is that no-one should use any one single control in their performances; but rather different controls that get the job done and can be used for that particular need at that particular time. The Cascade Control is an example of one that should be done on an off-beat. An exception to this is during certain effects when I would like to later demonstrate abilities to find cards from a 'memorized' pack, after openly Cascading the deck. For instance, I would have the spectator peak at the selection and I would say, "It would fairly possible to go through the cards and look through each one, trying to find your card..." [I perform the Control as we both stair at the pack, seeing the cards flutter down.] "The only problem is; I don't know, er.. what your card is.. [sigh]" which can be quite humorous when said in the right way. All I am saying is, it is in no way a "weak" control; the only way it can become weak is by those that decide not to use it in the correct way that fits their style.

I hope this helps :),
Jordan

*The Cascade Control was published on page 77 of Card Finesse, Volume II by John Racherbaumer (1992).

I don't think that even Paul Chosse could have said it better.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
By not asking how to become a moderator...

Anyway, nice post Jordan. One particular point I liked, which, applied to magic as a greater whole, sums up a lot - things which are technically easy can still be intermediate or advanced because of any number of factors; the actual mechanics of a move/effect/routine is not wholly responsible for difficulty.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results