Dangerous by d+M: Reviewed

Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Overall, this was a great buy. I am into card magic and the Mystique disk is totally packed with great stuff. I do, however, regret purchasing the Motion DVD, because I can do about 2 flourishes on the DVD. I thought the moves would be more broken down and taught in much more detail. I get the impression that the DVD is for people who already have an intermediate knowledge in flourishing.

Disk 1: MYSTIQUE

Teaching:
This had great teaching. Daniel Madison goes into detail about each sleight and he shows it from an "over the shoulder" view which is great.

Material:
The tricks are ABSOLUTELY KILLER!!!! They are so clever and hard hitting, yet simple and not too in-your-face. They are really good for one-on-one or crowd. If you are a card magician, I HIGHLY recommend this DVD. It will contribute greatly to your library of effects.

Impromptu-ness/Use of gimmicks:
Although I was told only one trick uses set-up/gimmicks, they were wrong. There are about 2-3 tricks that require set-up and gimmicks (if you consider a dupe a gimmick). Even though the set-up only takes about 5 seconds each, it still would be nice to have all the effects run smoothly in one routine. Maybe I'm just being too picky, but it all depends on your preference.

Disk 2: Motion

Teaching:
The teaching on this DVD, was okay. Like I said before, I thought I could purchase this DVD and at least be able to get some of the flourishes down in about a couple days or so, but I was wrong. It will take me months and months and even years (no exaggeration) to get some of these down. Only 2 or 3 max are in my capabilities. The teaching goes too fast in my opinion and it should break down every single move in the flourish. For example, Daniel Madison should tell you how to do a cylinder cut because even that I am not clear on, and there are about 3 flourishes based on it. Anyways, that is just me, and I didn't know this DVD would be for more advanced/intermediate flourishers. Could just be me.

Material:
Looks good, but again, I wouldn't know because I can't do 95% of the stuff. But it definitely looks like awesome stuff if you can just master it.

OVERALL:

Overall this was a great buy by me. Although I think I could have just gone for the Mystique DVD and I would have gained just as much. For all you skilled flourishers and card magicians, don't hesitate to get both, but if you are into card magic only and know only the basic grounds of flourishing, don't waste your money on something way out of your league. The Mystique DVD is jam packed and is worth more than 30 dollars.

Thanks for reading.
'shunest

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
motion was my first flourishing DVD, and now i can do mayhem nicely. the only stuff to know is revolution cut, one handed fan, and maybe basic sibyl

May 18, 2008
This review wasn't detailed at all... Not like I am trying to steal your thunder or anything, but I reviewed disk one

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=10045

The flourishing DVD was my first and it wasn't a problem of detail; the DVD is UBER detailed on the flourishes. Well, a hell of a lot more detailed than the Trilogy...

And every week I sit down for about two hours, watch the DVD and see what new moves I want to accomplish.

Apr 28, 2008
I guess if I put in lots of time and effort I can get it down, but its going to take a lot of commitment.

I wrote this review of Dangerous Volume 1 in under half an hour, not really a big commitment.
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=8381

I don't really agree with your criticism. Why would you want every effect to be forced into a routine? It's just not necessary. You're supposed to pick the effects you like and work them into a routine of your own.

If you read about Motion before buying it you would quickly realise it isn't the best source for a beginner.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
I wrote this review of Dangerous Volume 1 in under half an hour, not really a big commitment.
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=8381

I don't really agree with your criticism. Why would you want every effect to be forced into a routine? It's just not necessary. You're supposed to pick the effects you like and work them into a routine of your own.

If you read about Motion before buying it you would quickly realise it isn't the best source for a beginner.

I think by 'commitment' he was referring to the flourish DVD, not the review itself. Just FYI.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
Just noticed this, in mystique (the trick one). When he does Heritage... is that Out of this World/Totally out of this World by Kenner on the table? I swear that's the cover of one of hte sides of the book.

Sep 1, 2007
Just noticed this, in mystique (the trick one). When he does Heritage... is that Out of this World/Totally out of this World by Kenner on the table? I swear that's the cover of one of hte sides of the book.

I think you mean Totally out of Control. And yes, I believe it is.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results