Flicker

Sep 3, 2007
Doug Mckenzie, I've never heard the name besides being tossed around here and there on the forums. Well, that doesn't matter too much because when you see someone performing a sleight that makes sense, one that really couldn't be made better with variations, you will know.

It's refreshing to see magic being performed the way it should be, simple and direct and with a staple prop: one coin.

So, I'm no stranger to coins and this is a 1-on-1 that teaches you a simple way to produce one. And it looks good, so what more could you ask for? It also teaches a couple of hand-washing sequences, these are the types of little bits that magicians usually like to keep to themselves (just look at Real Secrets David Stone One Coin who fails to mention his little handwash bit). I was actually surprised to see Doug teach this.

It's pretty good overall and I would recommend it.

Thanks to Doug for releasing it. He says it's his baby so give it respect that it deserves.

Peace,

Fans

Nov 17, 2007
I second Cringe Magic22's question. Would a beginner to coin magic be able to perform this?

Sep 3, 2007
would some one who isn't that good with coin magic be able to do it easily?

Not particularly, the sleights take some practice. But once you put in the practice you will have it down forever. Depending on how you approach the sleights you could have it down in your own time frame. They aren't really hard sleights but they are hard to learn if you don't know the basics. You should probably know a basic classic palm and finger palm anyways. The way it's taught will teach you these basics by watching X times so in that sense it's very open to beginner coin magicians.

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah... so I can tottally see the coin before its produced in two different locations in the demo video.. Ill pass on this one..

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Yeah... so I can tottally see the coin before its produced in two different locations in the demo video.. Ill pass on this one..
Jonathan Bayme watch the whole performance on full screen on HD and it didnt flash, so how can you say that he flashed? Maybe you know where the coin is, but no flash my friend..

Sep 3, 2007
Hey make sure to check his bill change is the awesome :p and phoneomenon too, how havent you heard from him before..

I've heard the name before, just never seen any of his material unless I forgot the name. This isn't the same guy that did mercury aces right?

Sep 3, 2007
I watched it for the second time and am wondering why you couldn't produce the coin out of the original grip? The same mechanics apply but doing it from the flicker grip seems like a step further than the production requires. Plus, Apollo Robins whom I don't particularly consider friendly had a coin trick based on hiding the coin like this. And producing it in a similar way but more visual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
New York
I watched it for the second time and am wondering why you couldn't produce the coin out of the original grip? The same mechanics apply but doing it from the flicker grip seems like a step further than the production requires. Plus, Apollo Robins whom I don't particularly consider friendly had a coin trick based on hiding the coin like this. And producing it in a similar way but more visual.

Doug McKenzie is a New York guy. Among other things, he's known for the "Juan Hundred Dollar Bill Switch" DVD.

I was kind of wondering the same thing and will be playing around with that.

My comments on this: I picked it up on impulse even though I am not a coin guy at all. What appealed to me was that it didn't look like there was any backpalming work or Goshman Pinch work involved, which is stuff I've never been able to get down. As taught, it is probably above my skill level, but it is a solid production and, as has been posted above, the handwashing sequences are nice.

My only complaint with the 1-on-1 has to do with the camera angles. The over-the-shoulder angle is really just a side angle. For most of the routine it's taught from the front, and then when there's a recap at the end, this side angle is a pretty poor one to learn from as the back of Doug's right hand is blocking most of the action. I don't see why the cameraman couldn't have stood on an applebox or something and shot down over his shoulder.

Other than that, though, it's pretty good.

Aug 7, 2008
It's a very cool and clean production to be sure, but anyone with a basic knowledge of coin magic should be able to figure it out quite easily.

Sep 3, 2007
It's a very cool and clean production to be sure, but anyone with a basic knowledge of coin magic should be able to figure it out quite easily.

Right I figured it out. I figured out most of the 1-on-1's before I purchased them and thought that I could be getting some tips on handling or something new. Most of the time I'm disappointed but here I wasn't. I didn't learn much that I don't already know but I still wasn't disappointed.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I personally think this effect looks wonderful, and it's refreshing to see a slice of good strong magic using quite simple techniques.
Doug also seems like a super cool individual!

CL

just look at Real Secrets David Stone One Coin who fails to mention his little handwash bit

Just a little nugget: he does credit this as a sequence found in The Magic of Michael Ammar book. If you or anyone else happened to be curious as to the mechanics, it's explained in detail there.

Thanks for the review, I wasn't sure what to make of this.

Pj

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
The fact that there may be flashes in a preview trailer doesn't mean a thing.. .It's probably safe to say the vast majority of performers WON'T be performing this on TV and so won't have to deal with the dreaded 'Re-watch deconstruction'.

And Appollo (Who is a legend) DID indeed have a produyction from JW grip, but it's a standard production. It would appear Dougs additions to the effect are the transitory moves between concealments and the final production display.

CL

I haven't learned a coin effect in a long time, and I started out on coin magic back in like the late 90's! This was my most recent purchase and I was pleased. I'm pretty sure anyone can learn this effect with practice. I've been going over some of the moves in public or while at work (not in performance) but getting a natural feel for some of the sleights. There is a section where Doug encourages you to try a move or two while holding onto objects like a cellphone to get a natural feel.

In the performance demo I felt it was refreshing to see how he moved his hands and upper body in relaxed yet carefully articulated way in which to highlight features of the effect as well as some good mis-direction.

If you're not a coin man or woman and are somewhat interested, I think you would do ok with the moves in this effect, as some of them are classic anyway. I have no real complaints! This is one of Doug's personal gems that he chose to let loose on the world. I've taken him up on his invitation and have not tried the rountine as of yet on friends or in a show for the matter until I can do it smoothly.

Cheers!

-K->

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results