THAT was the "Dive of Death"?

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
Full disclosure: I'm one of the guys that writes the Ellusionist blog. That being said, my favorite was the trick with the $1s into $100s. Being from New Orleans, Blaine giving out money like that, to residents of the Ninth, meant a lot to me.

I'm a Saints fan, but I'd never tat a fleur de lis on my head like that guy. WHODAT?!

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
I do have to admit, being pulled up into the sky via rope while the audience looks around awkwardly is STILL better than Criss Angel's building escape ending where he jumped up from a patch of grass.

Has anyone ever seen Lance Burton's live show? For years now he has closed his giant illusion spectacular with the canary vanish. Small. Intimate. Visual. Amazing. I think that is a really smart way to end giant events. No chance for anti-climactic endings because it's so personal.

Jun 29, 2008
Boston
How do you know it went wrong?...

wouldn't you agree the sequence of the dive of death would be as he jumps, the lights go out, the crane or whatever pulls him up in the air and the lights go back on.

if you were david blaine and had a reputation, and showed a 2 hour show of flawlessly performed street magic, caught a ****ing bullet in your mouth while building up to the last stunt..... would you go intentionally perform that last stunt exactly how we saw it?

how can you ask "how do you know it went wrong?"

DUHHHHH

Jul 15, 2008
well t11 is sorta doing the same with a brand new exclusive awesome super duper chocolate covered ultimate AMAZING MEGA SLAM Monster UBER trick: Exile

***Edit: OMG IT'S GAMBIT!"

Sep 7, 2007
Stop Acting like kids and post the facts, Real Links. Act mature guys...!

Indeed, I cannot agree more. The link to Ellusionist Blog was very useful. I also update the post on ExoMagic. It was a full rundown of how some industry magicians viewed the act and special.

There is actually a lot of good information in the post, including a detailed list of every trick that was used on his special (and related tricks).

Forgot the link? No problem, Ill post it again,
http://www.exomagic.com/forum/lounge/4709-david-blaine-special-review-exomagic.html

Jun 29, 2008
Boston
give me proof champ till then i think he wanted it to be on magic and pull the spot light on mister angel

if that were the case, then that would be an awesome ending haha , but at least hold a sign while jumping saying " ONLY CRISS ANGEL LEVITATES PAINTS HIS FINGERNAILS AND WEARS HIGH HEELS" haha

Aug 1, 2008
Salinas, CA
I was thinking Maybe everyone Is kinda lost due to the fact that laymen have seen magic from people like Chris Angel and are kinda waiting for that dramatic ending. Like Lets just say I'm being Real here, him falling to his death and then making himself live again That's the kinda stuff people see from the other "Guy" (Chris) So maybe things did go the way they did. Just not the edited TV Stuff (IE Taking a fork lift to the stomach) Or Fake Audience... Just My Opinion. Thought it was a good special and Enjoyed it all.

Jul 15, 2008
woulda been cool if he jumped down and.... David Blaine was Criss Angel and Criss Angel on Mindfreak was David Blaine

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Everyone.

I consider myself a sensitive person. Over the years I've discovered that the things that make me feel the most, are the things that I have absolutely no control over. David Blaine's Dive of Death is a perfect example of this. Watching Blaine's finale and being puzzled absolutely destroyed me. Because I know that most of the world is going to understand, and there is nothing that I can do about it. But I think there is a message to be learned here. I firmly believe that we are sent certain situations such as this one to learn from them, and apply the lessons to our lives. For those of you who have read The Alchemist... "Maktub" is the word.

I had a busy afternoon, so I hit pause on my PVR on several occasions during the special. Because of this, I could fast-forward through parts of the special that I didn't feel I needed to watch. In the back of my mind I knew that I still had some math homework to do. I decided to fast forward through all the magic parts to get to the "Dive of Death" which is what I really wanted to see! By doing this I missed all of the amazing pieces of magic and various film along the way... The message itself fits in perfectly with the following quote.

It's about the journey, not the destination.

I personally am very satisfied with the finale of David's special. It's helped me realize a lot of things, and will hopefully make me a better person. I can think of several ways that this message applies to my life right now, and if it wasn't for David, I probably never would have been reminded of it. Thank you.

I hope this message can find it's way to David. He needs our support, and should be reminded that we'll always appreciate the incredible things he has done for the art of magic, and art in general. He's an incredible human being, with an amazing view on life. Definitely someone that we should all look up to and admire. It's time to look forward now. Godspeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 29, 2008
Boston
I was thinking Maybe everyone Is kinda lost due to the fact that laymen have seen magic from people like Chris Angel and are kinda waiting for that dramatic ending. Like Lets just say I'm being Real here, him falling to his death and then making himself live again That's the kinda stuff people see from the other "Guy" (Chris) So maybe things did go the way they did. Just not the edited TV Stuff (IE Taking a fork lift to the stomach) Or Fake Audience... Just My Opinion. Thought it was a good special and Enjoyed it all.

i agree, but a layman is just a layman, they see criss pull off the stunt and see blaine bounce around and go up in a helicopter, imagine yourself as a layman who hasnt seen criss angel or a layman who doesnt care about the psychology of proving magic otherwise, a layman is just there to watch a show, and what they saw was confusing :confused:and they laugh actually and think blaine is a phony or just like "criss angel...even worse" haha jk

Aug 1, 2008
Salinas, CA
i agree, but a layman is just a layman, they see criss pull off the stunt and see blaine bounce around and go up in a helicopter, imagine yourself as a layman who hasnt seen criss angel or a layman who doesnt care about the psychology of proving magic otherwise, a layman is just there to watch a show, and what they saw was confusing :confused:and they laugh actually and think blaine is a phony or just like "criss angel...even worse" haha jk

Yes but No one can ever Say they have pulled off every stunt and every Magic/ Illusion/ Trick, to the perfect T So that being said No one is perfect things happen if that was the stunt then that was the stunt. If it was not then Oh well Life does go on and we all will still enjoy his special's And in the future I sure will be watching the next one..!

Sep 1, 2007
Whether or not it went as planned, I think those of us in TVland had it much worse than those seeing it in the flesh, so to speak. That's the tragic truth of television, however--it takes away the visceral quality of any form of astonishment.

I think that the camera work for the dive itself was crap and we didn't see it as it was intended, either way.

I absolutely agree with Corey. The special itself was phenomenal. I was again reminded what magic really is. It is a powerful message that Blaine touts (and I use "tout" in the nicest sense of the word). We shouldn't overlook that.

Sep 3, 2007
I thought he might be using stooges and camera tricks at times. How about the Prohibition cap through bottle where he magically plucked it back out in an instant? Bending down with all the people around there was a shining light that obstructed my magical view.... That doesn't mean that he didn't do it right? I'll leave it up to everyone that recorded it and can put it in slow mo. I don't feel like trying to dissect it. Good luck with reverse engineering all of his magical masterpieces. Good luck with your magical masectanys.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results