Dive of Death - Afterthoughts and Discussion

liquidsn

Tony Chang / Creator, Be Kind Change, DVR, The Uni
Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
so this is what the ending was suppose to look like on TV.
He jumps down and he jumps back up in one swoop and disappears in the air.

What happened at the stage.
He was actually hooked up to huge air balloons. So when he jumped down the air balloons carries him back up and it actually took him outside of the set and flew him into the park - it was shot at central park. (NO JOKE)

So what happened was that the balloons didn't pick him up fast enough. so it just looked like he was "floating". But he did fly across the stage to the back (like REALLY FAR). Had a bizarre Marry Poppins moment.

If you don't believe me, people will be uploading it on youtube soon.

The idea was amazing... just didn't go as planned.

Don't really care though. The magic kicked ass.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
In my opinion the whole overall stunt was pretty lame. His other stunts were a lot better and more interesting.
However, it was really great and refreshing to see David's new stuff and performing to other people.

Sep 30, 2007
I am upset about this whole thing. I also post on bodybuilding.com and there is a 4 page thread bashing blaine. Saying he failed and that magicians suck. I just wish that half the people knew how much hard work goes into being a magician and I feel bad for blaine because I have messed up an effect before. But could you imagine having a reputation like him and messin up on live tv in front of millions!! Sorry, I just needed to vent my frustration

Sep 24, 2008
here is another video clickity click make of it what you wish...

The stunt - not that impressive -

The magic - refreshing and nice to see back to the root level. A few solid new things and a few oldie but goodies :)

Sep 1, 2007
I am upset about this whole thing. I also post on bodybuilding.com and there is a 4 page thread bashing blaine.

No offense to you, but it's not as if I expect a lot of intelligent discourse from such a place. In my experience, the truly intelligent and mature athletes very rarely post online. Most of them have jobs.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
More technical slight of hand with cards was great for those soon to be coming "How to" guys. I hope Danny G's "Fraud" survives the how to geeks of the net.

how Manny of you guys hate to watch magic shows with friends and families?
all night it was like after every efect....
"Can you do that one?"
"Do you know how to do that one?"
"hey thats the one you do (Fraud) how come you never did it on T.V?"
Then at the end I get "Yo your boy messed up right?".(i never met D Blaine)

Sep 24, 2008
More technical slight of hand with cards was great for those soon to be coming "How to" guys. I hope Danny G's "Fraud" survives the how to geeks of the net.

"Can you do that one?"

right there with you my friend

Aug 31, 2007

"Can you do that one?"
lol My brother kept saying the exact same things to me, so annoying.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Favorite Tricks: Top Five (in order)
1. Lit - A spectator is asked to take a match out of a matchbook, and ignite a match to verify its validity. The matchbook is then held tightly in their closed fist.

A card is selected in the deck - then visually vanished under impossible conditions. The spectator slowly opens their hand to find the matchbook has visually transformed into a twisted hybrid of playing card and match pack.

2. Lottery Trick - Blaine had random spectators call out random numbers. He then pulled out a lottery ticket with each of the chosen numbers.

3. Exile - From the award-winning mind of Mathieu Bich comes eXile - an effect that literally takes place on the spectator's own hand. Three small X's are drawn on someone's open palm. A quarter is placed in the center of their hand.

Slowly, you slide your finger over each X and it vanishes. No residue. No sign of ink to be seen. Nothing. When the quarter is lifted, there are three perfect X's directly in the center of their palm.

4. George Washington - Blaine had a man take a cell phone picture of another man, then struck an outstretched dollar bill with the phone. The second man’s face appeared on the bill, in place of Washington’s face.

5. Cap through and from bottle - Blaine had a man drain a glass bottle. Blaine took the cap, slapped it on the bottom of the bottle… and the cap jumped inside the bottle. He then had another spectator hold his hands near the bottom of the bottle, which drops off by itself.
How'd you find out all the names of them so fast?

I also liked his non-prediction/vanishing deck accept one suit thing. I thought the stunt was ok, but the magic was great.

How'd you find out all the names of them so fast?

I also liked his non-prediction/vanishing deck accept one suit thing. I thought the stunt was ok, but the magic was great.

Compression DVD
by Dan White and Dan Hauss

As seen in David Blaine's "Dive of Death" TV Special.

A card is freely selected, signed, and returned to the deck. The spectator is asked to name one of the card suits. Suddenly the deck visually begins to shrink down to a quarter of its original thickness leaving only the cards of the named suit remaining-and of course, their selected signed card. This is only one of the many ideas taught using this visually stunning principle.

Finding these here: http://www.tannens.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=348

Also:
George Washington isn't the name of the dollar trick and neither is cap to and from bottle (i don't know the names) but some of the descriptions i put in are from here: http://blog.ellusionist.com/david-blaine-dive-of-death-magic-tricks-list/

Hope that helps
-Mike

Mar 8, 2008
New Hampshire
Was the cap through glass bottle Captured by Justin Miller? It looked like it. Anyways My favorite tricks were Lit (the matchbook one) and Compression( when he only has the suit somebody names and a card chosen before). They both caught my eye and were amazing.

Sep 1, 2007
I think its Prohibition. The creator escapes my mind at the moment, so just google prohibition coin in bottle.

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
I thought that magic was awesome. The stunt, meh not his best, it was like vertigo but only upside down and the ending was pretty bad to be honest. I loved the magic my favorite one was the one were they pick a card and the cards vanish.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results