Freezer Burn by Chris Lafferty (Pre-release Review)

Mar 14, 2008
Freezer Burn sounds very interesting Chris. I may just have to put some money aside for this, not to mention Broken Wings by Dee:D.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey, thanks man!

The booklet will be released very soon (Exact dates TBA soon), so keep your eyes peeled (though it'll no doubt get shouted about anyway!).

Broken wings is an ace routine too:D.

Thanks again!

CL

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Freezer Burn - Full Pre-review

Hey...

I posted this on themagiccafe, but seeing as the creator frequents here I thought i'd post it here also.

Effect: Freezer Burn

Performer/Creator: Chris Lafferty

Format: PDF Manuscript

Price: TBA

Available: http://www.deechristophermagic.com/freezerburn.cfm

What is Freezer Burn -

This material is focused solely on the utilization of ice, something which has so much potential for creating an amazing and shocking experience, yet only few have really took it on with a passion... welcome to Chris Lafferty... welcome to Freezer Burn.

The pdf manuscript -

To begin with I will go over the actual pdf manuscript itself, which is 16 pages in length. Their are no pictures throughout, though the explanations are easy to understand and do cover everything well enough so that you understand what's supposed to be happening at any given time.
The actual cover/front page looks just beautiful, very well designed and put together, great work on that.
It's easy to read, not cluttered or fussy, and well explained.
Good job... I've seen a lot better as far as the insides go, but this accomplishes everything it needs to and does so well.

The effects -

Chill!:

The transformation of water into ice... you take a small amount of water from someones glass/bottle/cup, this is poured into your hand, then you slowly close your fingers around the puddle and blow... you slowly open your fingers and the water has become a solid lump of ice.
Turning water into ice is something that I have always had an interest in, and have played with various ways of achieving various things in this regard. The simple and direct act of having water change there and then into ice is an incredible effect, and one that many will never forget.
Water and ice is something that everyone is fully aware of, we know how water acts and what to expect from it, the same with ice, and so to take someones water and right in front of them have it solidify into ice is powerful stuff.

This is about as simple and direct as it gets and takes no time at all to perform, it's as quick as pour a tad of water into your hand, blow, and then reveal... all of about 20-30 seconds. It's this directness and simplicity which makes it good, no faffing about, no overlong procedures, just the magical act of taking their water and having it transform into solid ice.
Now the method will not really be surprising to many as it's the kind of thing you'd very likely come to yourself if you wanted to achieve the same thing, I know I have used similar, but really the method is not important here, it's the performance and fluidity of it all. The method does exactly what you want it to, it allows for you to transform their water into ice. It's simple and easy and so is very workable in the right environment... if you work in restraunts/clubs then this is something that you could get a LOT of use out of. Now saying that, you could use this in other situations, but you'd have a time limit as to how long you can go without performing before you'd be unable to use it, but depending on your surroundings you may be able to reset without too much effort... perhaps.

The method is workable, though does have it's limitations, but workers of certain environments will have something that'll play very well.

Difficulty -

This is not difficult at all, as long as your set-up and their are drinks around your good to go, and most will easily be able to do what's required. I really cannot see anyoe having trouble with this, it's just so simple.

Pros -

The effect of transforming water into ice.
Easy and simple.
Good handling.
Actual ice.

Cons -

Limit as to where you will be able to perform unless it's a one shot thing.
Limited amount of time you can go around set-up, then will need to reset.

Some thoughts on how it played in performance -

I knew it'd play well as I have been doing a similar effect for a while, but I did put this version to the test and it really did go well. I like how direct it is, and the look on the specs faces as you slowly begin opening your hand is really great to see, excellent stuff.
I found the workings to be very natural and easy to do, you don't have to think about what's happening and you can just put all your focus into making the moment special.

Overall -

Chill! is a nice addition and is a good handling for having water turn to ice within your hands.

Continued...

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Igloo:

A selected card is folded and dropped into a bowl/glass/cup of water... upon contacting the water, the cards immediate surroundings freeze solid, encompassing it in a shell of ice.
Yes, this has no reasoning for the why or how this is happening, but who cares lol, this is visual and crazy stuff that is just so fun to perform.

PS - You could easily bring reasoning as the the why and how, it's just not covered in the manuscript... just thought I'd add that incase their are those who feel their must always be some reasoning to things other than to entertain and amaze.

I love this effect, it's just so surprising when the card becomes enveloped in ice, it's so unexpected.
Yeah it's weird, I mean why take a selected card and drop it in water for it to then be trapped inside a lump of ice... well the same reason that we all perform (well most of us anyway... hopefully.... maybe...), to entertain, amaze, bring wonderment to others and have them experience the impossible, the unreal, magic.

The handling is cool, it is very simple and easy yet so deceptive and clean.
Their is set-up to be done, and so as with 'Chill!' you will have a limited amount of time before you will need to reset things, but it's so worth the small amount of effort to set things up, and when you can perform this you will have a really strong, visually appealing, impossible looking effect.
If you work restraunts/clubs/bars then I would not want to be without this, it's just such a fun piece.

Now though the effect as taught uses a card, this is not limited to just that, and so if you'd like to go a slightly different route and use something like a coin or a billet etc then you can do so easily.

Unlike 'Chill!' which would allow for a quick reset depending on if you work in certain kinds of places, with this you will not have that luxury, and so you will need to do all your setting up beforehand... this also means that you will not really be able to repeat this unless working in a place where you have access to their cold storage space, as if you walk around with a bunch of gimmicks they will not last long, and so will be doubtful that you'll be able to utilize them all.
Setting up takes a bit of time with 'Igloo', this is not something that you'll be able to get ready within a few minutes.

Difficulty -

Another nice and easy piece to perform, the handling is simple and easy to pick up, and I really cannot see anyone having any real problems.

Pros -

Visual.
Easy.
Different.
Actual ice.
Includes how to have the water seemingly react to the object, as the freezing is apparently occurring. A great little extra that though such a small thing, is a very powerful convincer and added effect.

Cons -

Card cannot be signed.
Not easily reset, you'd need access to things many of us simply wouldn't have whilst in a performing situation, and so you'll need to do all the work beforehand... then comes the problem with storage if your planning to perform this multiple times.

This is a fantastic little effect, it has been getting a great response from others and is overall a very strong piece.
It's one thing to cause water to turn into ice, but to cause something they have seen to be normal become trapped within an icy tomb right infront of their eyes is just incredible.
Goes over very well, great stuff.

Overall -

Excellent effect, I really like this and it has a very simple handling allowing for all focus on presentation. It's similar to Nefesch's 'Frozen' in that an object becomes trapped in ice, but I feel 'Igloo' is the more visually appealing of the two.
Something which makes this even more visually appealing is the ability to have the water seemingly react to the object... great little addition.
Cool.

Continued...

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Freezer Burn:

Ice from fire...
In this you will seemingly tear off a piece of someones napkin and then bring it to a flame (match/lighter/candle), it will burst into flames and as it gets tossed to your awaiting hand, the flames sizzle away and in their place is a solid lump of ice.

You will require flash paper for this piece, which is readily available from most magic dealers, and if all else fails theirs ebay.

As far as limitations, this has the same limitations as 'Chill!' and so will not go over them again, but also for this you will need to have on you a couple extra things... flash paper and something which can create a flame such as a lightr or matches.
Obviously if those you're performing for have a light then use theirs as this is what I'd consider the ideal way.
This also shares something else with 'Chill!' which is a good thing, and that is that depending on where you're performing, you'll easily be able to reset. Now as I said, this is dependant on where you're performing, but this is definitely a plus.
Oh... perhaps the need for a flame will mean some places will not look kindly on you performing this.

As with the 2 previous effects, this one also has a very simple and direct handling, and one that I cannot see anyone having a problem with learning and using this.

A nice, quick, visual effect.

Difficulty -

Simple, easy, clean... no problems for any here.

Pros -

Visual.
Fire is added to the mix which makes for a great attention gette and adds that bit of flashiness to the proceedings.
Easy.
Depending on where you're performing you may find that you can easily reset.
Actual ice.

Cons -

Limit as to where you will be able to perform unless it's a one shot thing.
Limited amount of time you can go around set-up, then will need to reset.
Using fire may make this unusable in certain places.
Need to also have flash paper on you, which is no biggie, but I'm mentioning it in cons as it's something else you will need to carry... though it is just thin paper strips lol so no big deal really.

I knew this would play well as not only was I causing something completely unexpected to appear (as who would think your gonna produce ice from a flame), but theirs the added visualness that using flash paper/fire brings, which will always get a response and adds a wow factor (even though fire turning into ice is already pretty amazing).
Played well, thought to be honest every effect within this manuscript can have the same said about them.

Overall -

A cool little visual flash of fantasticness.
It's quick, visual, easy, and is a great attention getter.
I like it, it isn't doing anything new or amazing, but what it does do it does well, and it's a good little piece.

Freezer Burn V2:

Ok this is the exact same overall effect as the previous effect (Freezer Burn), but with a slightly altered ending which is a LOT more visual, which can only be a good thing.
I won't go over everything again as all the things that applied to the original version also apply to this, so I'll skip out on difficulty and pros/cons etc and just go over what's different.

What makes this version different is that the little piece of what is supposedly napkin is not set alight and then tossed to your awaiting hand where it transforms to ice, no, this is a step up... in this you lay the piece of napkin upon your fist where you then light it, and that little piece of napkin visually burns away into a solid lump of ice. No cover, no funny moves, just pure hardcore visual magnificence. To m this is a big step up on the original and though only a slight alteration, it brings a whole new level of cleanliness and visualness to the effect.

This is definitely my version of choice, very cool.

Continued...

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Slammer:

You cause a shot glass of water (water being from wherever you are performing or from someones bottle etc) to freeze solid.

This is easily the most demanding effect out of the lot, needing you to carry around the most things... even the need to have a jacket (though upon experimentation you can get away with other tops). This also requires the most work from the performer, and it's definitely bold, but the end effect is stunning to say the least.

Now this obviously has a limit as to how long you can go until it cannot be done, and once it gets to that stage, unless you have done some work before hand setting multiple things up, and unless you are performing in a place where you have access to their cold storage, you will not be able to perform this for the remainder of your time there.
The good thing is that this is almost instantly reset after performance, so while it is usable you will be able to basically perform this over and over and over.

The other effects allow you to focus almost fully on performance, this is very bold and 'out there' and will definitely require that you know what your doing and that you can do what's required smoothly and efficiently. Confidence is key, as is your interaction with the specs.
I can see some not feeling comfortable pulling this off, it's gutsy for sure, but their is something truly magical about causing an entire glass to completely freeze solid... what was moments ago just a glass filled with water, has been altered before their very eyes, as you swish the glass around the water becomes ice.
It's one thing to create small lumps of ice from water, but another entirely to have a whole glass solidify... excellent stuff.

Now the handling does seem a bit fussy when you read the explanation, and though the effect sounded brilliant, it came across to me as though the handling was all over the place and uneedingly cluttered... in performance though that was not the case and it seems much more simple when actually going through the motions physically.
Now I'm still not too sure that all the motions are needed, and have since played around and come to my own take on the handling which better suits me, but the proper handling allows for some nice little subtleties such as having the water spill from the glass moments before freezing, hammering home that it really is water, then BAM it's solid ice.

I have to be honest and say that this is not something I will be using, not because the effect is not good or any such stuff, but I do not want to have to wear a jacket or carry around with me what's needed perform this... too much pocket space taken up among other things.
I think the effect is excellent, and the times I performed it so that I could review, this piece absolutely killed, the response was fantastic.
It's not for me, but I can see some who will not be phased by it's needs and they will be rewarded.
For bar/club performers this is once again something that will play extremely well in that environment and this would be a great addition to your repertoire.

Difficulty -

A definite step up in difficulty to what has come before within, and also the need for confidence and fluidity with the movements etc means that this is gonna need some time put in to get everything smooth and feeling natural.
That said, if you like the sound of it and want to perform something like this then their is no reason why you couldn't easily learn this as all it will take is a little bit of your time and you'll have a stunning piece of magic.
Neither easy nor hard, it's somewhere in between though some will find it harder than others, and some will find it a breeze.

Pros -

A shot glass of water transforms to ice.
Almost instant reset.
Strong stuff.

Cons -

Need to carry around multiple things which take up quite a bit of pocket space.
To me the handling seems a tad cluttered, but then I guess it's to allow for the nice little subtlety of having some water spill moments before the water freezes solid.
Limited in how long you can carry the gimmick around before it is unusable.
If not working in certain places, their is no way to perform this again once the gimmick becomes unusable... of course if working in a bar and the like you could bring multiple gimmicks and store them away.
I never like having to wear specific clothing just to be able to perform something, so having to wear a jacket is for me a con.

Well to say this played well would be a major understatement, this gets an unbelievable response and just slays. Very powerful effect.

Overall -

A stunning piece that is let down by the needs of it, though this is just my opinion and others will surely fall in love with what this will allow you to let others experience.

Continued...

Sep 1, 2007
UK
My thoughts on everything overall:

This is a great little manuscript, it contains 5 solid pieces that are on the whole very simple, direct, visual, and easy to perform. Im glad that it uses actual ice, as I feel if you're gonna be turning water into ice, it's nice to be able to let others see for themselves that ice is what it truly is.

I do not really know of much out their that could be considered competition, I feel this is something that has a limited amount of material available, and so this is a welcomed and unique little manuscript.

Their always will be restrictions and limitations to some extent with these style of effects, and so those that are in place here are totally understandable... just thought I'd say that.

Though I do not know the pricing for this at this time, (judging from what has been put out by Dee Christopher, and the fact that this is gonna be available from his site, I would guess that it will be under 10 pounds... don't hold me to that though as I really have no idea) I would definitely recommend this to those who have read the product description and like the sound of what's inside.
Well put together effects that are simple, visual, strong, and different... def worth checking out if you like the sound of the material.

I enjoyed this material and have gotten something from it... IGLOO!!!
But really, Igloo is great and I can see myself using this from now on for sure.

Cool.

The end...

Cheers.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey!

John, thanks for the extensive review!
Glad you liked the manuscript, and appreciate the work I put into making the material as simple and direct in handling as possible, while still keeping the material visual and MAGICAL!

One thing though...

Effects of this kind will always be held back by limitations. It can go one of two ways... The performer can use an ice substitute such as Gelling powders, slush powders or replica ice-cubes. OR, the performer can take a chance on things, and use actual ice. Both of these routes have their limitations, but I know which I prefer!

Thanks for the otherwise very nice comments!

CL

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Capital idea!

For anyone interested, the advance copies we sent out for pre-release review aren't the full manuscript.

The booklet proper will feature a couple extra variations/ handlings on the existing effects...

Release date... (very) soon...

CL

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Hey Guys,

Decided to merge all of the Freezer Burn (Pre-Release Review) threads together, so they can all be accessible from one location and won't flood the entire main page of the Product Reviews forum. Kind of like debt consolidation... only this has nothing to do with finance.

Word.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Back from Paris! Wow, I spose I'd better get this out really, hadn't I?

Thanks for the reviews guys and thanks to Jon for merging the threads!

I didn't get to meet Bich in Paris :( He wasn't in Double Fond or any of the magic shops!!! :'(

D.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey guys, just FYI...

Dee and I have amended the booklet to add in a few more tips and handlings, including a very minimalist apporach to IGLOO, as well as a variation on the effect from a very creative buddy of ours...

This is gonna be (Dare I say it... ) COOL!

CL

Aug 20, 2008
Las Vegas
Definitely some good stuff in here guys! The material is strong, direct, and can play very well in the right environment. As someone who frequently performs at night clubs/lounges where bottle service and buckets of ice are at every table, this material is definitely workable.

This ebook will also leave a lot of room for your own creativity. I found myself being inspired with new ideas throughout the read. Recommended!

bSmith

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results