David Blaine Matchbook Trick

meauxfeaux

Elite Member
Sep 8, 2007
The collapsing deck by the way was made by Doug Mckenzie and a friend of mine Cheng Lin. Its a beautiful piece of magic with thousands of possiblities.

Made by Doug and a friend of yours? Please explain, as this concept (the inflated deck principle) has been in print since 1938 and requires nothing more than a normal deck of cards.

I never saw the trick, but my family told me how it went. It sounds pretty cool. The only thing stopping me from checking it out is that David Blaine did it. I really never could stand watching him. Everyone tells me hes a great guy and I'm not saying that he isn't. I just don't see what all the fuss about him is. I believe there are way better magicians out there that don't get he recognition that they deserve. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just never saw why everone wants to hop on this bandwagon.

Aug 18, 2008
david blaine had them choose a card and sign it. Then he gave them the signed card and had them light a match under it. it changed into a THOUGHT OF CARD, that someone merely named. That is by far the most powerful effect already. Then, their initially signed card became the matchbook

Based on the description, Lit does not include the first phase, that is something blaine/his consultants have added to the effect. Does anyone have any idea if there is a method to having a card change into a thought of card, that is the first phase blaine performed?

It seems like its a mental force, to pull it off, you probably have to be david blaine.

Sep 4, 2007
Made by Doug and a friend of yours? Please explain, as this concept (the inflated deck principle) has been in print since 1938 and requires nothing more than a normal deck of cards.

I understand that, I misspoke. They have been working on the inflation principle for a while just jamming. I beleive this is one of the effects they created with it. Doug also has a really sick Acaan type routine that fried me so badly a couple years ago. I believe Garret Thomas has some nice work on this as well.

May 31, 2008
hopefully, the official answer

I pm'ed papercranproductions, who posted on this thread, and said they were in charge of editing the video.

Short answer: Yes, the card can be signed.

long answer (quoted word for word)

"Yes but it's not as impromptu as a method. When you buy lit youll understand why you wont need or want to have it signed. "

May 6, 2008
For the first phase it is all in presentation and editting. You have to remember that Blaine is not doing single tricks for each group but rather a routine. This is important to learn because routining can make you look great like in this effect. Before what we see on tv, Blaine could simply force a card on someone and tell them to remember it, to keep thinking of it. He then moves on to The matchbook trick. With a short time lapse his audience will forget that the other picked a card. We at home are not even privy to this information. So when he says "Name the card you're thinking of." It is impressive to the audience in person because it is a card control and impressive. To us at home it is amazing. don't think this is exposure since it is a general practice of magic and discussed openly places if so I can pull this.

Sep 3, 2007
I never saw the trick, but my family told me how it went. It sounds pretty cool. The only thing stopping me from checking it out is that David Blaine did it. I really never could stand watching him. Everyone tells me hes a great guy and I'm not saying that he isn't. I just don't see what all the fuss about him is. I believe there are way better magicians out there that don't get he recognition that they deserve. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just never saw why everone wants to hop on this bandwagon.

Yes, there are better magicians out there, but david revolutionized street magic. In fact, he practicaly created it. You may be as good as David Blaine, but can you get your name out there as well? The man was in a block of ice, he was underwater for record time. Can you do that? Can you get it to the laypeople as well? The man is entertaining, that's all the fuss.

meauxfeaux

Elite Member
Sep 8, 2007
Yes, there are better magicians out there, but david revolutionized street magic. In fact, he practicaly created it. You may be as good as David Blaine, but can you get your name out there as well? The man was in a block of ice, he was underwater for record time. Can you do that? Can you get it to the laypeople as well? The man is entertaining, that's all the fuss.

If you believe that David Blaine created street magic, think again and crack a book or two. Street magic pre-dates him by hundreds of years. As for street magic in this country, you may want to read up on the man who is considered the father of modern street magic, Jeff Sheridan (a.k.a. "the magician in the park" to New Yorkers in the 1970s).

Webby

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
For the first phase it is all in presentation and editting. You have to remember that Blaine is not doing single tricks for each group but rather a routine. This is important to learn because routining can make you look great like in this effect. Before what we see on tv, Blaine could simply force a card on someone and tell them to remember it, to keep thinking of it. He then moves on to The matchbook trick. With a short time lapse his audience will forget that the other picked a card. We at home are not even privy to this information. So when he says "Name the card you're thinking of." It is impressive to the audience in person because it is a card control and impressive. To us at home it is amazing. don't think this is exposure since it is a general practice of magic and discussed openly places if so I can pull this.
Strimkal, you took the words right out of my mouth. There is a part to this trick which is not shown. I too was first impressed with the second person holding the card naming their thought of card and it appearing in their hand. It leads us to believe that their was a part to the trick which is not shown on camera. Seems a little misleading to the viewers at home. Even so, a great gaffed trick!

I may not be able to do some of the stunts that Blaine does, or even get a t.v. special. But thats not what I want. I truly don't see how the monotone blank stare is entertaining. Is not about how much t.v. time you get. Just look at Johnny Thompson and Earl Cheney. Two amazing people in the world of magic who are not household names.

May 6, 2008
Yeah Blaine is one of the first people to do street magic specials on tv. However guys like Gazzo, Kozmo and Jim Cellini have been doing this for years. Heck, Cellini has been doing multiple shows a day on the streets for years. And I have never seen him use camera tricks.(Which Blaine does, like it or not.)

Lit

I agree, having the card be signed shouldn't affect the effect...haha. I think Sankey had a similar effect called "Chameleon", not sure if that method could be signed. Anyway, I'm sure if DB had it signed, it can be, but the handling may be a little less clean than it looks on TV. Really excited about this effect, Dan and Dizzle are really nice guys and extremely creative. Almost too creative...come back to Philly, dudes~

Yeah Blaine is one of the first people to do street magic specials on tv. However guys like Gazzo, Kozmo and Jim Cellini have been doing this for years. Heck, Cellini has been doing multiple shows a day on the streets for years. And I have never seen him use camera tricks.(Which Blaine does, like it or not.)

It's an old argument, but it should probably be advised that the magicians you noted above generally don't do the same type of magic that we've recently associated with Blaine. The likes of Gazzo and Cellini are practical legends in street magic, which in its truest form, is essentially a coordinated stage/stand-up act performed for the general public. Although Blaine's name is associated with street magic, the material he performs and presentation he delivers don't meet the actual definition of street magic at all.

Street magic is an actual source of income-- performers like Cellini are legitimized by how well they live off the tips they make on the street. It is how they put food on the table every night. Because of this, they must be loud and colorful and perform material that can be seen from a distance and appeal to all ages. Needless to say, Blaine doesn't follow this template. Effects like "Lit," while very strong and interesting in nature, probably would never fit into the repertoire of an actual street magician, because it is too intimate of an illusion. Blaine can get away with a lot, because he isn't dependent upon the money he makes off his magic-- instead his production company, ABC, and other sources of income keep him successful. This allows him more freedom in creating and maintaining the mysterious, monotonous character that he's been known for.

Gazzo, Cellini, and the like are street magicians. Blaine is essentially a close-up magician. While some may believe it's a trivial difference, genuine street magicians take the title very seriously and find pride in the difficulty of what they do.

The two types of magic are different. One isn't any less credible than the other, but they are very different entities that should be noted in order to reduce any confusion in the study of street magic.

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results