We need an off topic forum...

I have not seen this video as the link doesn't work however I must say that I see no need for an off-topic forum. If you would like to discuss something non-magic related find a different forum. This is a magic site, therefor a magic forum is appropriate.

By expanding our forums to encorporate random things in a non-topic forum we would be opening up space for a bunch of kids who have no interest in magic and only an interest in how hot Jessica Alba is.

Many of you are saying, "But those kids wouldn't be able to find us unless they are looking for a magic site." Wrong. All you would have to do is search off-topic forum, forum, random forum, discussion forum, etc. and on one of those pages we might pop up.

But, it is not just that that bugs me. It is the fact that some people who want this off-topic thing are simply too lazy to find a forum for such activities and instead try and bring this idea to us, where it will take less effort to find this random forum. So go out and find another forum for that and leave this one to the magic and the cardistry.

Sorry to be harsh but that is just my two cents,
Dylan P.

Jan 13, 2008
I fixed the link=P

I still think we need one just to get rid of useless spam. It would make the forum more fun. Not to mention get rid of useless thread(like this one=D). All we have to do is make the posts not add to our post count. SO people won't go crazy in the off topic forum.
Or, we can actually act our age. And we can ban those who post off topic posts/topics/other spam related things.

I like that idea more, as it'll create a much better environment for learning magic (my dream online magic learning environment is one where people don't use internet slang, learn how to properly use the English language (including proper grammar, punctuation, etc) to a decent degree (doesn't have to be perfect, have a higher than a ten year old mentality, know how to properly behave and conduct themselves on an internet forum, etc...oh, how such a forum would be a dream come true). :)

Aug 7, 2008
A classic video. He's right you know, I almost never check general discussion because half the threads aren't magic related. Those belong in off topic. EVERY forum (rubik's cubes, magic, magic, cardistry, and another magic) i've belonged to has one, except this one, and it spills over into serious discussion. I vote yes for an off-topic forum.

Sep 2, 2007
Why would you post that video, it isn't even funny. In my opinion it is sick.
I agree -- let's try to keep this thread as on topic as possible, even though the discussion is about an off-topic forum. In addition, I removed the link to the YouTube video because it did not really move discussion forward, was not magic-related, and may not necessarily be viewer-friendly.

That said, feel free to drop your thoughts on a potential off-topic forum. For me, there are both positives and negatives. For example, while it does not directly further magic, an off-topic forum may be conducive for the community, as a whole.

However, there is also the risk of discussion not being intellectual -- ie, "Do you think Britney Spears is a good mother?" -- which in and of itself is off-topic, but contributes essentially nothing. Conversely, a discussion about neurology and the brain's chemical response to the presentation of various art forms, like magic, may be.

Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
Simply put, this is a forum for talking magic, not Jessica Alba's bra size. (I lol'ed at that oh-so-true comment Dylan.)

I seriously doubt you aren't a part of penguin or E or Dan and Dave's site...so why do you have to post here?

Theory 11 was made for hardcore magic madness, not whatever random things pop into a 12 year olds mind to try. Theory 11 shouldn't open an off-topic forum because it merely distracts from the entire point and goal of theory 11 (to be an awesome magic site!).

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
i think its all pretty much been said, but there is no need for an off topic fourm, if you wish to discuss non-magic related things...talk to them like on aim or myspace or whatever other site. Theory11 is a magic site and these fourms are ment for people to post that need help with their magic.

i think its all pretty much been said, but there is no need for an off topic fourm, if you wish to discuss non-magic related things...talk to them like on aim or myspace or whatever other site. Theory11 is a magic site and these fourms are ment for people to post that need help with their magic.

Yeah, or you can speak all non-magic stuff to your friends :)

Let's just keep the magic locked away in here!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results