What would Erdnase think of magic today?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
This question popped into my head a few minutes ago and i thought it was pretty interesting. So ya, if S.W. Erdanse (E.S. Andrews) were to come back to life and take a look at the magic communities today, how would he feel?

In my opinion, i think he would be pretty happy that his book is now considered the card magic bible and that his creations have been applied so much. However, i think he would also be very disappointed with the disrespect of the art that we see everyday.

So ya, how do you think Erdanse would feel about the magic community today?

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
actually he was more a card cheater then a magician and.. i think we would be amazed show him and ipod and i bet he'd called you god
imagine if you do a trick with your itouch or iphone :p

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
I think most of the people who respect the art of magic/illusion hate youtube. However, I think he may hate people who make up tricks only for money more. I mean to say the ones who go out and buy a gimmick deck, change a way a trick is done, and call it their own.

I think Erdnase would love to see the new ideas that others have came up with, but would also be disappointed in those who abuse the art of artifice (as most people have been recently). To be quite honest, I don't think anyone really knows. No one really knows who Erdnase is. He wrote his book in the early 1900s. So much has changed since then, he would probably be more impressed with computers and cellular phones than he would magic.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
he says in the book that he only wrote it because he needed money..

I guess your right. He does say that in the very beginning. I was actually thinking more along the lines of people who do very cheap remake to get money. Not making anything original. There is a fine line.

Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
Ok...what the eff...

If Erdnase came back, he would say "Why the F%#& are you guys wasting your time with these cards? Look at this ridiculous technology!"

I mean...seriously...there would be a huge culture shock there. The fact that we have videos. Ridiculous.

SG

Sep 3, 2007
He would say, and i am very sure of this, "SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" "why are people trying to look cool and not entertain, and why aren't those poker players cheating."

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
he would *****slap criss angel.

Actually I think he'd be quite impressed by Criss Angel seeing as he wouldn't have been tainted by all the hate Criss gets. I think he would find it ingenious and crazy-awsome.

Anyway, we're a community of magicians. Why doesn't someone contact him and find out?

Sep 2, 2007
London
Actually I think he'd be quite impressed by Criss Angel seeing as he wouldn't have been tainted by all the hate Criss gets. I think he would find it ingenious and crazy-awsome.

Anyway, we're a community of magicians. Why doesn't someone contact him and find out?

I would imagine these days he would be a consultant to Criss Angel, earning far more money than he would ever have done cheating at cards or publishing his book (or books if you believe some of the theories about his identity). He would have also made the biggest-selling three DVD set for magicians, incorporating Tricks, Flourishes and Gambling Sleights.

By the way, just to pick up on some of the points made earlier in the thread, no-one knows who Erdnase was, whether he was a magician or a gambler, whether there was more than one contributor to the book, or whether he was telling the truth about needing the money. There are a multitude of very persuasive theories (and some that are not so persuasive to my mind, but still prevalent, like the Milton Franklin Andrews idea).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results