t11 special edition SNC - 24 Hour Video Challenge + Winner

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
Hey!
First of all, I'd like to congratulate Ryan.
Great job "Honorables"

Ryan, to be honest with you, I didn't think your moves were that original, and I didn't really like the speed. IMHO, I saw the moves as sloppy, choppy, and a bit rushed. But you did have the most people digged your video. Most people like watching speed, and most people today can't seem to see the surface of originality.

My thoughts on your originality and speed were simply MHO. The majority of the people were obviously different.

Either way, mad props man! Enjoy your prize!

Can't wait to see material from you in the near future! ^.-

Keep it up (and to you [whoever reads this])!
-Eugene

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey!
First of all, I'd like to congratulate Ryan.
Great job "Honorables"

Ryan, to be honest with you, I didn't think your moves were that original, and I didn't really like the speed. IMHO, I saw the moves as sloppy, choppy, and a bit rushed. But you did have the most people digged your video. Most people like watching speed, and most people today can't seem to see the surface of originality.

My thoughts on your originality and speed were simply MHO. The majority of the people were obviously different.

Either way, mad props man! Enjoy your prize!

Can't wait to see material from you in the near future! ^.-

Keep it up (and to you [whoever reads this])!
-Eugene
I'm going to have to agree completely. I too thought the video was sped up at first. Try slowing down a bit and working on getting smooth and flowing. Then apply the speed.

David

Sep 1, 2007
Congrats to all participants and Congrats you, Ryan for winning and hope you enjoy yo prize

as a flourisher and reading Eugene's comment I will have to agree with him

In my opinion you are skilled but I just wasn't feeling yo video much just because there was not much originality though I can see you tried to be original but the moves just didn't stand out and i've seen them before.
Also the speed which you performed the moves bothered me too. Maybe its yo style but if you gonna perform flourishes at a top speed like that, you better have smoothness too because that makes the flourish look so much better instead of speed + choppiness which is what I saw from you.

Overall decent video, but for sure you gotta work on being more original and also work on smoothness because with smoothness the speed will come but if you only go for speed all you will get it tons of choppiness and a fast flourish which is Shi- compare to smoothness +speed. (example: Daren Yeow :D )

anyways congrats on yo win. dont take this personal, this is just feedback from a fellow flourisher too

-wilson.

p.s. : couldn't tell if some parts were sped up or not but i trust it wasn't...

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys,

Amazing, amazing stuff. The creativity you guys put into this one was out-of-this-world. This was definitely one of the most difficult SNCs to judge thus far.

That said, tonight's winner is Ryan Ochs with his video The Original. Congratulations Ryan! We also would like to extend an honorable mention to David Misner, Mitchell S, and Eugene Soh - as your videos were top contenders for the prize in this challenge.

This contest has certainly opened my eyes to your creativity. I'm not sure why some of you aren't submitting more Media videos. If this is what you can do in 24 hours, I can't imagine taking even more time to put together something extraordinary. So, I've decided to setup my own little contest:

As is usual, over the next month (October) we will be posting videos to our media section on a regular basis. Your job is to take some time to create something unique; something special; something extraordinary - and submit it to the media section. The most original, creative, bad ass video to be posted to the media section on or before October 31st wins.

What's the prize? A sealed deck of Brown Wynns (no longer available) from my personal stash.

Please note that this is not an official theory11 contest, but rather something fun I thought I'd throw at you guys. I'm excited to see more from all of you. Please post or PM me with questions, if any.

Thanks again guys! You rock.

Oh Snaps!
i'm so gonna participate in this...

time to whip out Final Cut Pro and with HD Camera :D
and time to release all my original moves I've been playing around with !

hope i win and get A brown wynn deck of playing cards

goodluck to all who is "entering"

-wilson.
www.youtube.com/wilsoncardist
www.vimeo.com/wilsonku

Jan 24, 2008
Eugene, David Misner, and Wilson,

I never claimed to be the best flourisher in the world so I do not understand all your criticism. I understand constructive criticism but saying the flourishing was, “sloppy, choppy, and rushed” seems a bit harsh considering the fact that the video was merely a Saturday Night Contest entry. The goal of the video was to be entertaining and hopefully it was. Just to clarify, none of the flourishes were sped up. Peace.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Eugene, David Misner, and Wilson,

I never claimed to be the best flourisher in the world so I do not understand all your criticism. I understand constructive criticism but saying the flourishing was, “sloppy, choppy, and rushed” seems a bit harsh considering the fact that the video was merely a Saturday Night Contest entry. The goal of the video was to be entertaining and hopefully it was. Just to clarify, none of the flourishes were sped up. Peace.
Just because you don't claim to be the best flourisher in the world doesn't mean you're not subject to criticism. They're just telling it like it is. And seriously, what's your idea of constructive criticism? They told you what was wrong, now you gotta get better at it.

Oct 7, 2007
Missouri
Dude, it's nothing personal. We aren't trying to be mean, we're just giving you our thoughts. Like dragon said, there's nothing wrong with a little criticism.

David

I agree. However, constructive criticism is said in a goal to help another improve. Further, saying something is sloppy, choppy, or unoriginal is clearly not a constructive type of criticism. I do, however, appreciate anything that was said in a helpful manner.

(FYI, I am Ryan's brother)

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
I agree. However, constructive criticism is said in a goal to help another improve. Further, saying something is sloppy, choppy, or unoriginal is clearly not constructive criticism. I do, however, appreciate anything that was said in a helpful manner.

(FYI, this is Ryan's brother)
Ryan, I was just being honest. I'd rather help someone honestly, than lying to make them happy.
They're thing's to work on. I didn't know you Ochs took it so personally.

Just to clear things up...
Work on smoothness.

Sorry,
Eugene

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Congrats Ryan.

On the issue of constructive criticism, lI mean, what is constructive criticism? Criticism that points out the bad points and offers ideas to improve. Sloppy, choppy and unoriginal pretty much speak for themselves in both those areas. There's not really much advice you can give as far as being sloppy goes, it's not a grip thing where you fix the grip and suddenly it won't be sloppy, it's just identifying what you could improve, it's very different from magic so as far as I can see all three guys are being completely reasonable and constructive.

Oct 7, 2007
Missouri
Congrats Ryan.

On the issue of constructive criticism, lI mean, what is constructive criticism? Criticism that points out the bad points and offers ideas to improve. Sloppy, choppy and unoriginal pretty much speak for themselves in both those areas. There's not really much advice you can give as far as being sloppy goes, it's not a grip thing where you fix the grip and suddenly it won't be sloppy, it's just identifying what you could improve, it's very different from magic so as far as I can see all three guys are being completely reasonable and constructive.

I couldn't disagree more but thank you for your input.

Sep 1, 2007
So then you don't really think criticism should be given at all? Just the positives? Believe me, an ounce of criticism in a pound of happy-go-lucky ******** won't help anyone get better.

guess some people just can't take criticism....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results