An effect...

Dec 22, 2007
Hi, i just thought of a cool little trick with cards. Its probably not original, all im wondering if you guys think it would get a good reaction.

Anyways, the person picks a card, its lost back inside. I give them an indifferent card to hold. i take another random card from the deck, and it visually changes to the card the person was holding. The card in their hand turns out to be the selection.

Do u think people would like that trick?

Sep 19, 2008
Hi, i just thought of a cool little trick with cards. Its probably not original, all im wondering if you guys think it would get a good reaction.

Anyways, the person picks a card, its lost back inside. I give them an indifferent card to hold. i take another random card from the deck, and it visually changes to the card the person was holding. The card in their hand turns out to be the selection.

Yeah seems like it would. Try it out!!!

_Lucas_

Dec 22, 2007
okey dokey. thanks. ill try it at school. i hope people wont turn the card over when its in their hands....

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If you know the 2CM, use the same principles as in that to stop them turning it over ^.^

Imprint the indifferent card in their minds as well, they should have that in the front of their minds, and that should make them recognise quickly and turn their own card over, I think that'd be the main point in getting a reaction. Hope it goes well..

liquidsn

Tony Chang / Creator, Be Kind Change, DVR, The Uni
Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007

this better be a joke... or else I have no hope for the future of magic.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Why? He's not saying he's the future of magic, not that this effect will revolutionise the way we think (we can leave that to marketing hype). He's got an effect, and he's wondering whether laymen will like it. So? I can ask the same of a specific ACR sequence.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
IT sounds a lot like Wayne Houchin's Distortion. Would the change be just as visual, or incredible? because i think the change is what can make or break an effect like this...

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
i do a shake change.

hum...yeah, i think that would work quite well actaully - it'll look an awful lot like Dsitortion, but heck, it's a little different.

Will you be including duplicates or gimmicks of any kind?

I'd love to see this on video! (to an audience, i mean);)

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I can't watch the vid, I'm working...

I was going to stay out of this thread, because theres nothing constructive I could really say, but... Is this effect just a transposition?!

CL

Dec 22, 2007

its sorta like a transpo,but there is a selction and blah blah blah.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
If it doesn't offer anything in the way of new principles (which you should research, to be honest), or an interesting visual or presentational approach, I'd say you've simply re-invented a standard effect.

It happens mate.

I've independently created effects which have then been released by another (Paschall's believe), or have already been created (Alan Rorrisons original handling for his animated drawing effect), but with the requisite research which should be involved with the conception of all magic creation, we can eventually find out what we have originally created, and what we have independently re-invented.

Hope this helps.

CL

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I agree with Chris.

It's a different handling for a classic transpo.

Great thinking, and very smooth performance. But the idea of transpositions similar to this has been around for a long time.

-Rik

liquidsn

Tony Chang / Creator, Be Kind Change, DVR, The Uni
Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
try this. I believe i saw johnny thompson do it.

I'll tell you the effect. the method is easy to figure out if you know what you are doing.

Selected card gets lost in the middle. you tell them you will make it magically appear. Give a snap, and turn over the top card. they say it isn't theirs. you put the card face down and put it in their hand. Tell them that that wasn't the magic part. You reach into your pocket and pull out a single card. say "would it be amazing if this was your card." you ask for the name of the card. Then you look at it in a confused manner. you say "wait... isn't this the card in your hand?" turn over the card that came from the pocket and it is seen to be the one in their hand. They turn over the card in their hand and its the selection.

Basically the same concept as yours, but you don't introduce X-card that has no meaning in the context of the trick. This way it seems like a transpo. And its also nice since there is no dupes.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results