Quest for the original Sybil

Aug 28, 2008
Yikes, I almost posted this in general discussion. What a blooper that would might have been.

So, I have been flourishing for awhile now, life and card wise. I have seen quite a number of sybils out there.

B.Tudor's- Wth Happened to Sybil variations
D.Madison's- Superb collection of Sybils, ranging from Asybil to Syblthrn to many others.

See the thing about cuts nowadays, some of them start of with a sybil phase but have different packet manipulations inserted into it, packet flips, twists, rotations, throws, revolutions and so on so forth.

But what I really would like to have some knowledge on is what the original sybil looks like, I mean I have seen quite a number of cuts and all of them are steroid versions of sybils. But as a beginner flourisher, I would like to go back to the beginning. Like how charliers got evolved into the many revolutions that are now out there.

Can anyone please tell me where my quest for the original sybil will end? Perhaps from a senior flourisher in here. I am not looking for the five faces of sybil. I mean the true polished refined sybil.

Perhaps the creator of the sybil, was 'insert glorious first name here' sybil. Who created the cut?

Anyone?

Peaceza.

Sep 24, 2008
Bavaria, Germany
thanks sleight of hand...now he knows everything he will ever want to know about the sybil.

maybe you allow me to supplement something?

Like Sleight_of_hand said...the original Sybil Move was created by Chris Kenner (official Artist on this site)

You are actually able to find the very basic sybil movement in his book "Totally out of control" as well as in his upcoming DVD "Totally out of control"...wich is pretty much the book in DVD format with a load of extras.
The very first "addition" to the Sybil Movement (which is also created by Chris Kenner) is called "The 5 Faces of Sybil" and there actually are many source, were you can get it.

Source are naturally again: Totally out of Control and maybe the Trilogy Disc 2 or 3. With Disc 2 you will find it as the 4th phase of the Jackson Five Flourish. In Disc 3 you can find it inside of the "Flourish 101 Section" simply under the name "5 Faces of Sybil" ;)

If you have ever seen any Sybils or even executed some by yourself, then you will definitly be able to do the 5 Faces, which is pretty much the normal sybil movement, with a little extended display as a highlight, and a normal closer.
At least for the top stack of cards, this cut would be called "false".

For example you can see the majority of the 5 Faces in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eXQcZVh8YU

this is the Performance of the Jackson 5 by Dave Buck. 5 Faces of Sybil starts around 0:14 and ends about 0:17

hope that clears things up

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
But before Chris Kenners wonderful Sybil, Bill Kalush released his 'Illogical shuffle', which coulkd certainly be seen as a precursor for all multipacket cuts in one way or another.

CL

Aug 28, 2008
Clearing it up..

So what two of you agree on is that Chris Kenner was the first guy who invented the sybil cut and in the process gave it its name?

Never knew that at all.. Really.

Still, I am still open to other's opinions.

Feb 28, 2008
I don't know what else there is to say other than Kenner created the basic movement and named it. I like to compare it to basketball shoes - Chuck Taylor made the basic of what a Basketball shoe should be, but it's evolved so much by other since his original conception.

Sep 1, 2007
The original Sybil and 5 Faces of Sybil (2 different cuts) are published in Chris Kenner's book, Totally Out of Control.

Aug 28, 2008
Sweet to know the origin of the Sybil. Feels good.

Strangely and embarrassingly, I pictured in the originator of this flourish differently. I would have thought, perhaps maybe some old card flourisher.

Its nice to finally know the origins of the sybil. Nice one, Chris Kenner. You started an evolution.

Wow..

May 18, 2008
You can learn the original one like I did; I learned a variation and took it down to it's most simple elements. Which got me to what exactly was printed in Chris Kenner's fantastic book.

Sep 1, 2007
Sweet to know the origin of the Sybil. Feels good.

Strangely and embarrassingly, I pictured in the originator of this flourish differently. I would have thought, perhaps maybe some old card flourisher.

Its nice to finally know the origins of the sybil. Nice one, Chris Kenner. You started an evolution.

Wow..

Chris Kenner is definitely not old. He's only like 20.

Also, you may not know this, but the laws of physics do not apply to Chris Kenner.

Sep 15, 2007
Sybil

There are several cuts within sybil that you can research.
The Z -cut is one of them and is quite old.

I believe that the illogical cut and Ultimate Illogical cuts by Bill Kulish and Troy Hooser influenced Chris in some way to create the 5 faces of Sybil.
Chris is credited with popularizing and planting the seeds which were watered by Brian Tudor, Dan and Dave and others.
They created a phenomonon.

I have also seen fotage of Vernon in his apartment interviews where he is doing various flourishing type cuts ....it was quite entertaining.
Snorri

Sep 2, 2007
London
In Apocalypse (in the early to mid-80s I think, I'll have to check on the actual date), the Ultimate Illogical Shuffle was credited to Gianni Mattiolo. This is a simple four packet cut where the second from the top gets taken in a "Sybil"-type motion and transposed to second from the bottom, then it's closed.

Can anyone tell me where and when Bill Kalush's cut was published?

By the way, I understand that the Z cut concept is credited to Herb Zarrow, although I've never seen any of his cuts in print.

Aug 28, 2008

Also, you may not know this, but the laws of physics do not apply to Chris Kenner.

Hmm, dude. I mean, guy. Or dude, whichever you prefer. I did not say he was old. Read the reply again.

And what does physics have to do with the sybil cut? If you are trying to revive some Chuck Norris reference. I think it only worked abit, cause I did not get it. Normally, people are supposed to get it. Right?

Hey, but thanks for making me sound like an arse calling people old. I just woke up and really did not need it but hohoho, guess you might have made my day.

Peace. ZA.

Hmm, dude. I mean, guy. Or dude, whichever you prefer. I did not say he was old. Read the reply again.

And what does physics have to do with the sybil cut? If you are trying to revive some Chuck Norris reference. I think it only worked abit, cause I did not get it. Normally, people are supposed to get it. Right?

Hey, but thanks for making me sound like an arse calling people old. I just woke up and really did not need it but hohoho, guess you might have made my day.

Peace. ZA.

Just letting you know he was making a joke. Chris is over 20 and he was referring the other line saying "laws of physics don't apply" since he said he was 20 and that is the reason why.

It was a joke so, no need to worry.

-RA69

Aug 28, 2008
Just letting you know he was making a joke. Chris is over 20 and he was referring the other line saying "laws of physics don't apply" since he said he was 20 and that is the reason why.

It was a joke so, no need to worry.

-RA69

ok...?

Funny you should reply to my reply to his joke.

I am still pondering on what is there to worry about in the first place.

Aug 28, 2008
I thought this entire thread was a joke. Sybil should be, imo, the first flourish in your repetoire.

Why?

It could be informative to others that might be starting out in flourishing also. I guess, you are welcome, if this thread about the sybil's history tickled you.

Diverting back to topic.

Could anyone here perhaps have a video of Chris Kenner's Sybil up? I would really like to see how it looks like. I am guess, it breaks into a Z as usual but perhaps more back to the roots kind.

Sep 1, 2007
ok...?

Funny you should reply to my reply to his joke.

I am still pondering on what is there to worry about in the first place.

Yeah, seriously dude, it was just a joke. Chris Kenner himself admits that he's old. Just check out his artist profile.

Sorry if I made you feel bad...

Aug 28, 2008

Dont worry about it, no hard feelings at all. I was only kidding about making me feel bad and all.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread on the origins of the Sybil. I can finally stop thinking a little too much about it anymore.

Peace. ZA:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results