How do you perform?

May 19, 2008
manchester
well the title says it all...

so how do perform? silent? comedy? or what?

also, when do you perform, and what routine do you use when you do perform (like if you do silent what do you do?)

sorry if I should have used the search feature, I just wanted to know how people perform... and also, how do you present what you do?

please reply

to start things off ill say how what where I perform...

I perform magic when I busk or school or parties, I want to start doing "alternative" magic, like bizzare or strange or silent magic. my routine (for now) is flourish a bit and do here then there, maybe a simple acr, I want to start doing more creepy magic (like tears of blood), I present my magic as though its okay to believe what just happened, like with my here then there I do...

okay, so I shuffled the card in the deck, and you know whats weird? it comes right back to the top! (they see its a different card) oh wait, ummmm that was actually supposed to happen, look ill show you, I want you to put the card in your hands, now here we have a different card, but heres the weird thing, cos it changes to the card your holding, now look at that card...

and thats the kind of thing I would do... I'm trying to change the routine though so its a more of a kind of "if you believe then anything is possible".

I (want to) have a kind of beauty in the actually actions that I do, when I do double lift I do it with a subtly touch, I show them the card is here, now it changes "isnt that weird"... it works for me :)

so what about you people? how do you perform, where do you perform, and what routine do you like to use?

i am not sure what i perform i guess just simple i say my patter and act calm and just like myself normally but i will admit i get a bit excited while performing so i might start talking fast and stuff. but i dont know what you would call that? i just like to have people think its magic. i dont tell them its slieght of hand i just act like it happens idk.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
well i guess that the way i perform is a combination of 3 artists:Wayne Houchin,Daniel Madison, Daniel Garcia. i always introduce myself ask if they play cards at all e.t.c. show them sth visual for example angle zero or stigmata and continue with random stuff.

i actually found that i can get better reactions with an acr or anything of that kind if i let them decide whether it is magic or not. In some cases (when performing effects like Torn) they have nothing else to think of other than pure magic.But i will not tell them it is magic ot it is sleight of hand.

Anyway i usually make jokes and try to connect with people. i make them undertsand that i am just another teenager .I have actually found that when performing on the streets , it is good to have a routine( i have many routines) because i used to go to a place where many teens gathered, perform for a group of people then go and sit with my friends and sooner or later those guys came back and asked for more magic.

Here's an idea for a routine that will leave your audiences with mixed feelings(terror and astonishment hopefully).
1) perform THREAD by Wayne Houchin (will soon be released)
2) SAW by Sean fields
3) CONTROL by Wayne Houchin combined with Tears of Blood from WOUNDED (by Bob Smith)
that will give them sth to talk about...............

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
whenever i perform - i usually perform one on one to people - i always like to communicate with the spectator. because i do alot of visual card and mentalism i find it great to connect with the audience because when they want a show they will remember how well you communicate with the audience. when you make them feel comfortable with you, the magic always seems to have more of a lasting impression on them. it doesnt matter if youre performing for some stranger or someone youve known for a long time. i also tend to avoid the tricks that freak people out like saw or tricks like that. i always like the direct mentalsim and card tricks so they know what is going on. i also try and include them as much as possible if i need the deck shuffled i will ask them to do it. that helps because if actually had spectators do false cuts, false shuffles and sometimes even control a card.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
What i noticed what i usually do is walk up to people like a completely normal guy.
What i mean by that is not even a deck of cards in my hands.
Ill ask people the time or something that mundane and then I usually perform something really simple and visual but act like it was nothing.
If they ask me what i just did or how i then go into my "thang".
At other times i introduce myself, be just a nice guy and ask them if i can show them something.
I guess you could say I perform more or less like wayne houchin or Cyril takayama.
But no where near at their level. Haha

Dec 13, 2007
It all really depends on what I am performing...

With something such as stigmata, i'll try to do my routine so that the effect looks as creepy and real as possible... so i kinda start off by saying "there's this weird thing that i can do..."

But with other things it is different...

If i'm performing a coin in bottle trick like factory sealed or bullet, i'll try and do my routine sort of scientifically... like, "it is common knowledge, and science says, that one solid cannot pass through another..."

i generally like to mix it up. i start off by just being myself, because i find that people respond VERY well to someone who dosent claim to have powers or things like that, they just enjoy seeing normal people doing something extraordinary. but as my routine progresses i throw in a bit of comedy if im doing an ambitious card routine, almost like... "wait, its actually working?" kinda thing, a bit of suspense and start to get a little on the dark side when i get to 'Control'. But a majority of the time i am just myself.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have a similar performance style/ethic to that of Greg Wilson or Paul Harris- a normal dude to whom strange things continuously occur.

A close up Adventurer!

CL

Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have two ways of performing.
I have a comedy persona. I am generally a bit of a silly idiot anyway, so it comes naturally. This comes through when I'm performing magic to families or kids. With this persona, I'll perform various card tricks, coin tricks, etc. When I perform these I take my own name: Mark.
I have a mysterious, darker persona. This is something that I have been developing for the past year. This character comes through when I perform bizarre magic or mentalism. With this character, I'll do things like Control, Stigmata, metal bending and various other routines. When I perform these I take my pseudonym, my stage name: Anthony Black.
I really like having a different character that I can work on as well as having just myself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results