What my best trick is?

Aug 31, 2007
****​

(This is an opinion-based post. Jus' wanna get my thoughts out, ya know?)

You know, if you take a really good look around the magic community, my God, there's a ****-load of tricks floating about. They flow from so much different sites and artists that it's impossible to count how many there are. And what's more important is the methods for each of them. So much variety can be found with these many tricks, each granting the performer with a variety of reactions; from simple laughter, to them shedding tears. Take for example a coin finger palm: incredibly simple and yet so incredibly deceptive. Now take, for example, an Invisible Pass: incredibly difficult to master, yet so also just as deceptive as the finger palm. Both of these grant you quite decent reactions when used properly. However, these tricks, in my opinion, are nothing compared to my magic trick.

Would you like to know what my BEST trick is?

I'll tell you right now. It's an absolutely pathetic trick. And yet, it always ends up as the finale of my show, whether close-up or stage; also granting the best reaction out of all the tricks (even compared to a trick like Stigmata or Control). So what's my trick?

A coin through the head.

And, technically it's not a copyrighted trick and everybody has the rights to know the method to this trick. I put a coin through a willing volunteer's head by the help of an assistant in the audience who takes the coin from ABOVE the volunteer's head (where they cannot see anything happening) as I pretend to push it through their head. So, basically, only the volunteer is fooled by this "miracle" while everybody else automatically becomes in on it. That's it.

So what exactly does this trick have that makes Stigmata or Control look like ****? (excuse the language):

Entertainment.

Or, at least, in my opinion, a better kind of entertainment. You know how Brad always says that close-up magic grants an intimacy with your audience. Well, for me, this "trick" breaks that intimacy and surpasses it. What it allows you to do, no matter how distant you are from the spectators, you will immediately set an image of yourself in their minds. It automatically allows you to get 10x closer to an audience than you would with say an ambitious card routine. Now that's not to say that an ACR does not grant you any intimacy whatsoever, it's all based on the presentation. However, back on topic:

THIS IS THE TRICK THAT THEY REMEMBER YOU FOR!

The science behind this is that it allows people to bond with each other as they, altogether, watch the secret happen before their eyes. This is, of course, with the exception of the volunteer who is dumbfounded at what happened, thus making him the only one experiencing the "real magic". However, the rest of the audience just sees everything and enjoys it. In a normal situation, they would just blurt out the secret to the volunteer and ruin the fun for everybody. However, that's why you as a magician have that job of subtly suggesting to the rest of the audience that the fact that this trick shows you the secret will prove more fun for everybody than you just concealing the secret to yourself. And of course, you also have to subtly communicate to a random person in the group to be your assistant.

I've experimented with this trick over and over again and nobody has ever said anything as I hand the coin to the willing assistant who takes the coin over the volunteer's head. They all scream and are immediately in on the trick and they all act so "amazed" and "confused" and they keep fuelling the volunteer's dumbfounded face. Thus, they are that much closer to me as a performer. However, there are exceptions with little children, but that's a different story. Besides that, this trick has worked for me almost every single time. The spectator's naturally play along with me, and everybody has a great time with this one trick. That's why it's always my finale.

Now, that's not to say that this trick works just like "that". What this trick requires is masterful presentation skills. Because if the group of people are complete strangers to you, you have to be able to subtly suggest to them to play along with the trick, and be able to do this without the volunteer seeing you. This takes skill and patience. Believe me.

And one of the best things about this trick is:

IT'S IMPROMPTU! Anytime. Anywhere. With Anyone... as long as you have the presentation skills, of course. ; )

So what exactly makes this trick so special? Well again, in my opinion, it's the fact that it connects you with your audience in a much different way than you would with something like Control or Stigmata you with your audience. It shows the audience that you, as a magician, are in no higher status than them and that you're just a "down-to-earth" guy who's just there to show them a good time. You're not there to try to fool them and make yourself feel better. You're there to have fun with them. Just plain fun.

Isn't that the best trick of all, anyways?

****​

Matt

Wow, you addressed this topic pretty cocky-like eh?

I think you are taking away from the fact that the other tricks you are calling ****ty (control and stigmata) have a very intimate connection with people. Stigmata is something we've known about in movies, and literature that we see come to life, and Control has someone watch and feel as someone supposedly shed their mortal coil only to come back. There is power in your trick as well but I think coming out and saying it like you did was really cocky. Granted that was all your opinion but, this is mine. Have a good one.

- Chris

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Ouch, pretty harsh words there, eh Matt?

granted you have an opinion - and i respect it, because for the most part i agree with it. But must we be so cocky?

;)

Mar 29, 2008
Matt - do you realize that what you are promoting is basically paper balls over the head? Please tell me this is a joke!

If you think magic is making the person that was kind enough to volunteer look stupid in front of their friends is "surpassing" what magic is - you know nothing about magic...and after reading your other posts in this forum...I am still not sure if it's a joke.

I hope what you wrote was a joke - as I know it's only time before you take some real heat if it isn't...and if it is, thaks for wasting my time...I know you live in Toronto dude...and I will find you - you know who I am!

If you are advocating that it doesn't matter if you fool them, just have fun with them...then you aren't a very good magician. Be an entertainer...juggle, mime, ride a unicycle...but what you are doing is not magic.

Before you get upset...I swear this is a joke - let's think about it - the spectator is not in on the joke....so how do you think that makes them feel? Good? Do you feel good when you are left out of the loop of a joke, and you are the centre of attention? Do you think the audience experiences magic? Do you think that what they are seeing makes them feel, "wow, magic is amazing" or "magic makes people look stupid"?

Everything has a form of entertainment value - even two girls one cup - but being entertaining is only half the battle - the BASIC job of a magician is to FOOL the audience, if you are not doing that...you can't call yourself a magician. Just like the basic job of a MUSICIAN is to play the right notes...we all know there is more to both crafts - but you have to do the basics before you can do that more...and my friend, you are not.

If this is your best trick - I feel you have more to learn - if this was a joke - then awesome, but please let us know that, so we can laugh with you...because right now I feel like the person you are performing for...confused...embarassed and just hoping it is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
the BASIC job of a magician is to FOOL the audience, if you are not doing that...you can't call yourself a magician. Just like the basic job of a MUSICIAN is to play the right notes...we all know there is more to both crafts - but you have to do the basics before you can do that more

Possibly the best way I've ever seen anyone put it.

- Sean

Mar 29, 2008
Sinful 07 - Actually, I found it gross...but even something gross has entertainment value...or Jacka$$ wouldn't have had like 3 films grossing millions! No joke, my brother is going out for Halloween as "the cup"...as he thinks going up to two girls and saying...hey, you guys are two girls...want to hang later...I will let you crap in me...will score him dates....haha, I can't wait to see the opposite happen!

Sean - your continued supports and your own posts are always appreciated. Just so you know - that line was paraphrased from Swiss' "Standards of Deceptions" - I was going to directly quote him, but wondered how sick people were of me bringing him up - a must read from his Theories II notes...man, I should ask him for a cut...but I can't stand talking to him, haha, just kidding...sort of! Thanks though!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results