Miller Cascade Control REVIEW

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, picked this up today, thought I'd write up a lil review for the people on the fence. I own the book this was published in, Card Finesse 2, but I wasn't too fond of the "choices" you have to make while executing the sleight. Without giving it away, theres a certain part of the move that makes it uneccassarily difficult. When I saw Dave Buck had made a download for it that included his personal ideas, I went ahead and bought it. I see a lot of people giving guys flack because they buy a sleight that is avalible in books. I many times agree with them, but a lot of times when its a difficult or under-used move like this, it makes it SO much easier when you are offered personal discoveries and tips from other people who have mastered the move. Sure, I'd love to see Charlie Miller teach this, but 1 he's passed away, and 2, no matter what, I'd love to see other peoples handlings, to see which one suits me best. Enough chatter, onto the Cascade Control!

What they say-
Easily one of our favorite controls to execute, the Miller Cascade Control happens casually in the hands within a subtle action of airing out the deck. It's so discreet, your spectators can be burning your hands and there's nothing to suspect.
Learn Dave Buck's finessed handling of this classic control by Charlie Miller.

You can also find this control explained by Jon Racherbaumer in his book, Card Finesse II (1992) on page 73, or from it's original write-up by Charlie Miller in the June 1972 issue of Genii magazine.

What I say- This is a really good move. It looks nice, it feels nice, and it even sounds nice. Many scrutinize this control because of the flourish executed during the control. My response to that is...OFF BEAT. Do it on the off beat you moron. In my personal opinion, you can do close to ANYTHING on the off beat and the spectators won't say or think a thing differently.

The move is essentially 100% angle safe. It is pretty easy to execute properly, but it will take a couple weeks to a month to make it look real smooth.

The waterfall of course IS taught on the download. I've seen a couple people asking that, so to answer that, yes it is taught seperatly and in the control.

The teaching is fantastic. Anyone who owns the Trilogy knows that Dave is straight and to the point, and leaves no stone unturned. He adds 2 or 3 things that aren't taught in the book, and make the move a lot easier. I like his version a lot better than the one offered in the book. Anyone who owns both will probably know what we're talking about.

Quality is obviously amazing. They've got multiple angles, zoom-ins, everything.

Pros
-100% angle safety
-Fun to do
-Great teaching
-Great price
-Great quality

Cons
-In my personal opinion, nothing.

Dan and Dave have got to stop releasing such bad-ass sleights, or I'll lose all my money. Out of 10, I'll give it a 9.5, only because nothing can top the Truffle Shuffle.

www.dananddave.com

Attachments

• miller-cascade-control.jpg
    miller-cascade-control.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 231
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Great review. I picked this up just now, and I'm practicing it - it's become one of my favourite moves already, really want to master this one.

It's slick, a little flourishy in a subtle way and most of all it's deceptive. It literally looks like you just air out the cards and everything's legit.

My first 'official' teaching by Dan/Dave and I have to say I was pretty impressed. Love the background on it, love the structure of it, great control and at $5 it's an absolute steal.

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Just a quick question.

I've seen the demo on this. How does this sleight be useful for a lefty?
Hey, I imagine the sleight would be the same for a lefty, you may find the teaching hard to follow however as the deck is held in the opposite hand (as seen in the demo). All you would have to do however is flip the instructions for left handers, and watch carefully what he does with his hands and then translate it to your own hands.... if that made any sense at all.

:)
- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
Hey, I imagine the sleight would be the same for a lefty, you may find the teaching hard to follow however as the deck is held in the opposite hand (as seen in the demo). All you would have to do however is flip the instructions for left handers, and watch carefully what he does with his hands and then translate it to your own hands.... if that made any sense at all.

:)
- Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply. The issue I have about this sleight is, the demo showed a riffle peek prior the cascade move. Left handers cannot do that, all the spectators see are the white corners instead of the pips. (hold a deck in your right hand and you will understand my situation).

So I was wondering how useful will this move be for left handers.

Thank you.

Oct 28, 2007
you don't have to use a peek that is just the way they preferred to do it in the video.

Mar 14, 2008
Downloading it as we speak. This looks extremely deceptive and smooth. Thanks for reviewing it so quickly. It made me want to purchase it even more!

P.S. Cheers to Dan & Dave Buck for releasing this.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

dananddave

theory11 artist
Sep 1, 2007
Hollywood
www.dananddave.com
A left handed peak works the same way as a right handed peak, just riffle the right corner of the deck instead of the left. Sure, done this way it's a little tougher to get a pinky break but it can be done.

Cheers,
dan

The issue I have about this sleight is, the demo showed a riffle peek prior the cascade move. Left handers cannot do that, all the spectators see are the white corners instead of the pips. (hold a deck in your right hand and you will understand my situation).

So I was wondering how useful will this move be for left handers.

May 11, 2009
Just a quick question.

I've seen the demo on this. How does this sleight be useful for a lefty?

Hey. I do magic left handed and when i do the peek i just move my fingers out of the way and riffle on the bottom of the cards. it works fine. just practice it in the mirror.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results