theory11 : Smoke & Mirrors - Special Edition : Invitation

sinjin7

Elite Member
Apr 19, 2008
I find it amusing that JB claims the second edition feels better, did anyone really think he would say otherwise? And here's a heads up for you all - you heard it here first - the third editions will feel even better than these!

But seriously, though, I'm glad they made the notorious double D's less obtrusive and integrated into Si Scott's elegant design. If nothing else, at least this is a tangible improvement.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I find it amusing that JB claims the second edition feels better, did anyone really think he would say otherwise? And here's a heads up for you all - you heard it here first - the third editions will feel even better than these!

But seriously, though, I'm glad they made the notorious double D's less obtrusive and integrated into Si Scott's elegant design. If nothing else, at least this is a tangible improvement.

We call a spade a spade - and you don't have to take my word for it. Wait for the reviews, or see the short review posted yesterday by Chris Kenner directly on the product page. They feel amazing.

Webby

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
We call a spade a spade - and you don't have to take my word for it. Wait for the reviews, or see the short review posted yesterday by Chris Kenner directly on the product page. They feel amazing.
Well I ordered 3 decks. I just hope the cut of the cards is better then my last batch. J.bayme are we going to see any new card designs from T11 in the near future?

Sep 1, 2007

Why are they critically acclaimed though? To be honest the majority of people didn't really like them. And they got like 3 stars rating. Which is mediocre in my opinion. So I can't understand how they are critically acclaimed.

D

Deleted member 2755

To the people asking if I got them in advance, no I did not. I don't have the new ones. I had the first ones and if the newer ones feel better than those... jeez... They must feel like heaven in your hands.:p

-Doug

May 3, 2008
Why are they critically acclaimed though? To be honest the majority of people didn't really like them. And they got like 3 stars rating. Which is mediocre in my opinion. So I can't understand how they are critically acclaimed.

A lot more people have had a change of heart after they'd laid their hands on these. If you haven't tried them, go pick some up to see what people are talking about.

Webby

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
I have to agree with EliseG here. Even Sinful says they are like "heaven" and he hasn't touched them yet! I think what the posters are trying to say is, your trying too hard to sell these to us. It's obvious in the way the staff and moderators are marketing and pushing their new product. It's really not necessary, and we see through this!

D

Deleted member 2755

I have to agree with EliseG here. Even Sinful says they are like "heaven" and he hasn't touched them yet! I think what the posters are trying to say is, your trying too hard to sell these to us. It's obvious in the way the staff and moderators are marketing and pushing their new product. It's really not necessary, and we see through this!

You haven't been keeping up with what I've been saying about these decks then. ;) Check my review on them.

They do feel amazing. They also pretty much last forever. However, I don't like the look of them. Anyone who says these decks are works of art are in my opinion just saying that because it is the way they are marketed. They pretty much had their minds made up about the decks before even seeing them. Its not like that with everybody, but with many people I think it is. What we got was absolutely not a work of art. What we got was a different styled deck. It was just a bunch of swirls with 2 D's in the center. Nothing revolutionary.

This new edition is a bit of an improvement. The D's have been reduced in size and now blend a bit more with the back design. However, I still stand behind my previous statements about them. I have no problem saying this and I have told this to JB myself. I say this just about every time S&M gets brought up. I'm tired of saying it and I'm sure people are tired of reading it.:p "If S&M is considered a work of art, then Guardians and Split Spades should be considered masterpieces and hung in a museum."

I also think its a little bit egotistical of D&D to make a deck that is essentially advertising for them. (Even the king of clubs is meant to actually look like them.)

That is how I truly feel about them. The only reason I want to get some is because I really do think they are the best feeling decks I have used.

I am not promoting these decks. I think they are egotistical and did not live up to their hype. They do feel awesome though. Many will disagree with me about the looks though. Its really a love or hate thing. Many people love them and many people hate them.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
You haven't been keeping up with what I've been saying about these decks then. ;) Check my review on them.

They do feel amazing. They also pretty much last forever. However, I don't like the look of them. Anyone who says these decks are works of art are in my opinion just saying that because it is the way they are marketed. They pretty much had their minds made up about the decks before even seeing them. Its not like that with everybody, but with many people I think it is. What we got was absolutely not a work of art. What we got was a different styled deck. It was just a bunch of swirls with 2 D's in the center. Nothing revolutionary.

This new edition is a bit of an improvement. The D's have been reduced in size and now blend a bit more with the back design. However, I still stand behind my previous statements about them. I have no problem saying this and I have told this to JB myself. I say this just about every time S&M gets brought up. I'm tired of saying it and I'm sure people are tired of reading it.:p "If S&M is considered a work of art, then Guardians and Split Spades should be considered masterpieces and hung in a museum."

I also think its a little bit egotistical of D&D to make a deck that is essentially advertising for them. (Even the king of clubs is meant to actually look like them.)

That is how I truly feel about them. The only reason I want to get some is because I really do think they are the best feeling decks I have used.

I am not promoting these decks. I think they are egotistical and did not live up to their hype. They do feel awesome though. Many will disagree with me about the looks though. Its really a love or hate thing. Many people love them and many people hate them.

-Doug
I agree with Doug, when I saw the first editions I thought they were a letdown. Actually, after playing around with these, the D's have begun to grow on me. Maybe it's just because my name starts with a D. I've been using the same deck of Smokes for a few weeks and I love them.

David

D

Deleted member 2755

I agree with Doug, when I saw the first editions I thought they were a letdown. Actually, after playing around with these, the D's have begun to grow on me. Maybe it's just because my name starts with a D. I've been using the same deck of Smokes for a few weeks and I love them.

David

This is how things went for me:

First they backs were a bit of a letdown.
Then they began to grow on me.
When I got them in person I thought they were AMAZING! I wanted to write a review up, but I decided it would be best to wait a while so my hype dies down and I can give a review of the deck itself rather than just the design. (I was seeing "reviews" for the deck from people that literally said they had them for 5 minutes. That's not a "review".:p)
After the hype died down, I thought they were alright.
Then I began to dislike them. The new ones are absolutely an improvement, but I stand by everything I have said.

-Doug

Oct 28, 2007
well in the last podcast dan even states that this deck was meant for them and them only but since they had to get so many they decided to sell them so it doesn't really matter about what they look like to other people once they are satisfied they are going to keep it and for the people complaining about the D's don't waste your time they are staying there after all it is there deck and i don't think they care about advertising it.

well in the last podcast dan even states that this deck was meant for them and them only but since they had to get so many they decided to sell them so it doesn't really matter about what they look like to other people once they are satisfied they are going to keep it and for the people complaining about the D's don't waste your time they are staying there after all it is there deck and i don't think they care about advertising it.

yeah thats a good reason, no one is being forced into buying them. At first i disliked the D's but after awhile and actually seeing them in person they actually grew on me quite a bit. Like dan and dave said at the end of the day its their cards.

Webby

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
-Doug
I didn't even notice that. Blaine did this with his Split Spades Lion decks. I believe he is the K of Spades. He also has his name on the Ace of Spades interwoven with Stutzman. I don't understand who is consulting them. I do think the Split Spades handle the best though. IMHO. I think the Guardians have the best artwork, but I would like to see these card designs in color. The black and white designs are getting old.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't think it's egotistical at all. It's their decks, it's their design - as Webby pointed out, DB did the same - no-one complained about his king. No-one complained about the Wynn logo either. In fact, all it is is their right to place whatever they want on it. To me, taking advantage of a right is not egotistical at all. You put your name on your work. You write a story, an article, an artwork, you put your name on it. You create a playing card design, and what, suddenly it's "egotistical" to put two letters on the backs? I don't buy it at all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results