Tattoo's

Jan 13, 2008
Def keep studying :)

But yeah it hurt like hell for the first 10 to 15 minutes and then after that I think the area just numbed out or i got used to it. but the first 15.... not pleasant.
Yeah, I hear so many people say that, but it was the exact opposite for me. It was fine during the first 15 minutes or so, but got worse as time went on, heh (I was there for a total of about 2 hours of actual tattooing, not including all the prep stuff like him drawing it out, redrawing it, transferring it onto me, touching it up with marker to make sure it looked good, etc).

Yet, when I went back for a touch up (it was just one of the corners that needed touching up because it was fairly light compared to the rest of the tattoo, but he ended up darkening a lot of the tattoo anyway, just to make sure it was all good...and he added a few small things to it, like some cracks along the top of the ace (to go along with the small tear in the corner)--it was supposed to look like an actual card that's seen a lot of use, not just look like a tattoo of a card, heh), it didn't hurt at all (except for the first like 2 minutes--I was there for about 20 minutes for the touch up).

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Aye, i get you. any office job hejre in the UK would not accept you if you have any part of your hands tatoo'd. simply because the tatoo is visible and unnappealing.

Altight mate.

I'm in the UK and I have a star tattooed on my hand. It has never caused any issues whatsoever with getting jobs, and I actually work quite a decent job at the moment (pays enough for me to live in a city-centre flat).
As an aside, although it's not the reason I originally got it, it does come in 'handy' as an ESP reveal, to show that I really DID pre-empt the card they would be attracted to, etc...

Oh, and the idea of having a deck spread across the chest with one face up card is Reed McClintocks wonderful Tattoo...

CL

Sep 1, 2007
I remember hearing that a famous magician (I forget who, lol) has a spread of cards across his chest (face down), with one card in the middle face up. However, the card (well, what you can see of the card, which would just be the corner) is blank, so he could fill in whichever card he wanted to use that day. That sounds like a nice idea.

Just Thought I'd mentioned in case in hasn't already (I don't believe it has, if so, sry to have missed it) that this idea seems to belong to Reed McClintock, a great and hard working magician with some very clever ideas.

Trying to give credit where it is due, please correct me if wrong.

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
Seems that the misinformation continues.

Check your facts first before you post. Helps you to not look so uninformed.

urban

of course tattoos are bad for the skin.
do you seriously think tattoos have any health benefits on the skin or in general?

hopefully next time when cigarette trick comes up, dejavu05 won't get schooled for saying "Cigarettes are bad for your lungs. I wouldn't smoke if I were you."

Nov 30, 2007
There are facts to back up what I said about tattoos being bad for your skin.

Just a few of them include...

Tattoo inks are classified as cosmetics, so they aren't regulated or approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The pigments and dyes used in tattoo inks aren't approved for injection under the skin. Long-term effects of these are unknown.

Specific risks of tattoos include:

Blood-borne diseases. If the equipment used to create your tattoo is contaminated with the blood of an infected person, you can contract a number of serious blood-borne diseases. These include hepatitis C, hepatitis B, tetanus, tuberculosis and HIV — the virus that causes AIDS.
Skin disorders. Your body may form bumps called granulomas around tattoo ink, especially if your tattoo includes red ink. Tattooing can also cause areas of raised, excessive scarring (keloids), if you're prone to them.
Skin infections. Tattoos can lead to local bacterial infections. Typical signs and symptoms of an infection include redness, warmth, swelling and a pus-like drainage. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has linked clusters of potentially serious antibiotic-resistant skin infections to unlicensed tattoo artists who don't follow proper infection-control procedures. Some antibiotic-resistant skin infections can lead to pneumonia, blood infections and a painful, flesh-destroying condition called necrotizing fasciitis.
Allergic reactions. Tattoo dyes, particularly red dye, can cause allergic skin reactions, resulting in an itchy rash at the tattoo site. This may occur even years after you get the tattoo.
MRI complications. Rarely, tattoos or permanent makeup may cause swelling or burning in the affected areas during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exams. In some cases — such as when a person with permanent eyeliner has an MRI of the eye — tattoo pigments may interfere with the quality of the image.
Medications may be necessary if you develop an allergic reaction

This was taken from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tattoos-and-piercings/MC00020

You also have to make sure that the people doing your tattoos are very well certified and are using brand new needles, gloves, etc. You don't want the risk of getting HIV or other infections from others blood.

I am not trying to bash you guys for getting a tattoo, but rather trying to inform you about tattoos a little more so you might not regret it later on (if you do).

Here is another website...
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/139496/the_deadly_dangers_of_body_tattoos.html?cat=5

Oct 20, 2008
Think about this:

In 50 years from now, do you really want a tatoo on your arm with a playing card on it?????:rolleyes:

Wadabouta semi permanent one?

Think about this:

In 50 years from now, do you really want a tatoo on your arm with a playing card on it?????

Doesnt bother me any. I think its different for those of us with the tattoo's to understand then those who dont have them. I love mine, And I could not care less that its going to be on my arm till the end. Only live once, its what i wanted to do so I did it.

:)

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
do you seriously think tattoos have any health benefits on the skin or in general?

hopefully next time when cigarette trick comes up, dejavu05 won't get schooled for saying "Cigarettes are bad for your lungs. I wouldn't smoke if I were you."

just because they dont have health benefits does not mean they are bad for your skin and comparing tattoo's to cigarette's is kinda rude and offensive. you are judging a person's personal choice and some cultural traditions and comparing it to something that is completely different which causes cancer. yes, an improperly administered tattoo or one that is not properly cared for can be harmful, but so can a pet, gun or car if its not used in the proper manner.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
There are facts to back up what I said about tattoos being bad for your skin.

Just a few of them include...

Tattoo inks are classified as cosmetics, so they aren't regulated or approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The pigments and dyes used in tattoo inks aren't approved for injection under the skin. Long-term effects of these are unknown.

Specific risks of tattoos include:

Blood-borne diseases. If the equipment used to create your tattoo is contaminated with the blood of an infected person, you can contract a number of serious blood-borne diseases. These include hepatitis C, hepatitis B, tetanus, tuberculosis and HIV — the virus that causes AIDS.
Skin disorders. Your body may form bumps called granulomas around tattoo ink, especially if your tattoo includes red ink. Tattooing can also cause areas of raised, excessive scarring (keloids), if you're prone to them.
Skin infections. Tattoos can lead to local bacterial infections. Typical signs and symptoms of an infection include redness, warmth, swelling and a pus-like drainage. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has linked clusters of potentially serious antibiotic-resistant skin infections to unlicensed tattoo artists who don't follow proper infection-control procedures. Some antibiotic-resistant skin infections can lead to pneumonia, blood infections and a painful, flesh-destroying condition called necrotizing fasciitis.
Allergic reactions. Tattoo dyes, particularly red dye, can cause allergic skin reactions, resulting in an itchy rash at the tattoo site. This may occur even years after you get the tattoo.
MRI complications. Rarely, tattoos or permanent makeup may cause swelling or burning in the affected areas during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exams. In some cases — such as when a person with permanent eyeliner has an MRI of the eye — tattoo pigments may interfere with the quality of the image.
Medications may be necessary if you develop an allergic reaction

This was taken from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tattoos-and-piercings/MC00020

You also have to make sure that the people doing your tattoos are very well certified and are using brand new needles, gloves, etc. You don't want the risk of getting HIV or other infections from others blood.

I am not trying to bash you guys for getting a tattoo, but rather trying to inform you about tattoos a little more so you might not regret it later on (if you do).

Here is another website...
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/139496/the_deadly_dangers_of_body_tattoos.html?cat=5

again, this has more too doo with the way the tattoo is done not the tattoo itself. Yes some rare cases of allergic reaction have arisen but its no more likely than having a freak reaction to a medicine or makeup. As for MRI's almost all tattoo parlor's these days do not used metal based ink's. The only tattoo's that have any magnetic properties these days are the homemade ones that arise in prisons. that said i agree with you on getting more info and see what your trying to do. The most important thing is to research the parlor your getting it done at. Making sure they have certain things such as

autoclave (device used to heat and sterilize non-one time-use equipment)
license
years of experience and practice
GLOVES!!!!
one time use needles and ink canisters
certificate of health and safety practices and some other stuff thrown into the mix. you do not want to just go into a new place and get it done, research your tat, research places, and if possible meet the artist, they love to get to know people and some will even let you sit on other tattoo's to see what its like . the most important thing is to rush it and do it right. There is nothing wrong with tattoo's, they are great in fact, what is a issue is how they are done so BE CAREFUL! and make sure to post a pic of what you get so we can all see. CHEERS!

Jan 13, 2008
Alex Linian: Yes, it is indeed Reed McClintock who has the ribbon spread tattoo. I remembered reading about it on the E forums, I just couldn't remember who it was off hand. :)

All: About the tattoos--I think it goes without saying that you definitely have to make sure you don't get your tattoo from someone/somewhere shady, and that you properly take care of your tattoo once you do get it. Getting your tattoo done at a parlour that is certified by whatever health boards are in your country/province/state/territory/etc is pretty much a must. And by no means should you go based on price alone--it's a good idea to shop around, but it's your health you're dealing with here, so you should be shopping around for the cleanest place and the best artist, not the cheapest tattoo. :)

Sep 4, 2007

Right.

Hopefully the next time my audience members have to cross the street to enter the theater someone points out the dangers of oncoming traffic for them.

Tattoos have no long term harmful effects to your skin unless they are done wrong. Scarring, tissue damage, infection..yes these can all happen. Although.........it can also happen when your having your wisdom teeth removed, or a multitude of other obvious examples.

Asking those who aren't in the know to educate themselves first is intelligent. Telling them in a one sentence post that they are bad for their skin is just plain ignorance. Nothing more.

urban

Sep 4, 2007
Los Angeles
Bicycle Tat

i got this about 10 months ago. ( i put the theory11 card there for some past snc) the place where it says rider back is blank and I am debating if i should get a card revelation in its place. I want to play around with the graphic though before I get it done.

P1000213.jpg

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results