Has anyone got any books on Houdini or Blaine?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
The Blaine book is awesome, a really interesting read.

I have Houdini on magic, and it's a nice enough little text. touches on locks, escapology, magic, showmanship, spritualist debunking... loadsa stuff.

CL

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
Blaine's book Mysterious Stranger is very good. It also has a few refrences to other books that you can check out as well.

I also enjoyed Houdini on magic. It has excerpts from his actual writings as well as many tricks and escapes.

Oct 24, 2007
Haha, this topic is pretty funny. I just started reading Mysterious Stranger two days ago and I just finished the chapter on Houdini last night. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the book and the chapter on Houdini is very good. I really like the style of the book. I got Criss Angel's Mindfreak book from a relative and it was horrible! All he talked about was himself and how he's so strong and got through stuff himself. Mysterious Stranger, on the other hand, talks of Blaine's life (but not with a huge ego), talks of many other magicians, and includes some interesting effects. You will definitely enjoy the book. Peace!

Tyler

May 16, 2008
google books has a few on houdini and some that he wrote for free. i have a few of his books as ebooks. pm me if you want any

Mysterious Stranger was a fun read. My all time fav. book on Houdini which I am surprised no one has mentioned is "The Secret Life of Houdini, the making of america's first super hereo" .by William Kalush. If you haven't read it , then go ahead and pick it up... I think everyone has a pretty high opinion of William Kalush , and if you don't know who he is, you have definitly seen him you just dont remember it ... Check this one out for sure....

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Secret-Life-of-Houdini/William-Kalush/e/9780641954276/?itm=4

Oct 14, 2008
Steven, an excellent book on Houdini is "The Secret Life of Houdini" by William Kalush and Larry Sloman. Its only a couple of years old, the paperback can be picked up thru Amazon very cheap. Another good one is "The Glorious Deception" by Jim Steinmeyer, that one is about the mysterious life of William Robinson aka Chung Ling Soo. It can also be picked up thru Amazon very cheap. Although, if funds are tight, you could probably just these books thru your local library.

Nov 30, 2007
Mysterious Stranger - On David Blaine
Houdini on Magic - On Houdini and his magic
Final Seance - On Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Haven't Read Yet)
Miracle Mongers and their Methods - Book written by Houdini but not about it
Houdini (the making of America's First Superhero - On Houdini

Houdini (the making of America's First Superhero) is an amazing book that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Houdini. It is a bestseller and an incredible book.

I am a big fan of Houdini so I know a fair amount about him. There is a DVD by History (TV Network) that is all about the life of Houdini. You can buy it from there website. There is also a set of DVD's that are Houdini in movies since Houdini used to act to get more attention from people. The were released by Kino. They are not my favorite set of DVD's but still a cool collector's item.

So all in all I would recommend the book Houdini.

P.S. Houdini was amazing!

I will have to buy Houdini - The making of America's First Superhero soon once I have these others I have ordered. If you know of any good DVD's which are very visual and knowledgeable shout out the names of them as I may purchase them too.

I am after these as I am using them for my studies :)

Oct 14, 2008
Steven, just to let you know "The Secret Life of Houdini" and "The Making of America's First Superhero" are the same book.

Dec 14, 2007
The Secret Life of Houdini is a fun read, but controversial. It is hardly authoritative.

Probably the most authoritative Houdini bibliography is by Silverman.

The most interesting - to me - is Culliton's Tao of Houdini. What he did was collect all of the statements Houdini made about himself. It is, essentially, Houdini's autobiography as he would want others to believe. Historically it often has no basis, but it is a fascinating insight into the man inside the man.

Silverman is the place to start. I have about 30 other title just on Houdini on my shelf, but for the facts, go with Silverman.

Brad Henderson

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Hiding the Elephant by Jim Steinmeyer has some good stuff on Houdini in it.

You can probably pick it up at your library.

Thank you everyone :)

Seems like I have a couple more book to purchase. Does anyone have some good online articles on David Blaine or Houdini? - I remember there was an article posted about Blaine and all of his stunts he has performed - Saying "succeed" and "failed", if anyone can find that article that would be great. But any recommendations would be nice too.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I also have Mysterious Stranger... what a great book!!!

I also own the best Houdini biography in current existance, The Secret Life of Houdini by Bill Kalush. It's very good and very detailed. I am currently reading Dai Vernon: A Biography by David Ben and some of it exposes Houdini as the pretentious arrogant jerk that he really was.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results