How many tricks?

Mar 9, 2008
How many tricks do you guys know that you have performed, i've counted about 20 and still seems to little. I know people say just learn a few effects but that would just be boring plus people at school also want to see some new things. So how many tricks have you got up your sleeve?

I don't sleeve...:p

Lets see...*thinks*...20+ (I don't care to count them all out).

You shouldn't just learn a bunch of tricks and instead learn a few tricks well...its a way of learning but it is not to be taken too literally, there is nothing wrong with learning and practicing many effects...its just best to learn a few at a time.

~PaCo

Sep 2, 2007
I have known and performed at least 100+ effects since I started magic a few years ago. Whenever I think something will fit in with my style and will get good reactions I try it out. If the reactions are strong I keep it around.

I would say that I only do about 20 tricks consistantly. I do a lot of walkaround magic and table magic at two local restaruants so I'll slip something in and use it for a week before I deside to keep it or throw it out.

I dont see any problems with learning as much new stuff as you can (afford to). After a while you will be able to make up your own effects and your own routines. I'm not saying you should buy everything you see, but if it fits your style your routines and you like it, why not?

Just make sure you learn the trick well before you perform it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I made a post about this a while ago... Briefly - many people say you it's better to know a few than lots and lots. This is true to a certain extent. A certain story regarding a boy and a magician comes to my head. However, if you can perform dozens of tricks well (IF), there's nothing wrong with knowing more. I know professional magicians who have many, many effects in their repertoire - and use about a dozen in their walkaround routine at any one time. When they get bored, they go back to old ones, change the routine, practice the old ones the used to know again, and then perform the new routine. Nothing wrong with knowing many, if you can practice them and perform them well - only thing is, don't think that because you mastered 50 effects a few months ago, that you can perform all 50 at whim again.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Sometimes I make improv tricks, but that's just when I feel adventurous. The tricks I always use?

-Witness by LEE ASHER!

-Twinsplit Remix by d&d

-Stigmata (or any other hardcore revelation such a 'tattoo joe") - and this is the funnest to perform because it lets your creativity roam free ;)

-card to mouth by d&d

-Indecent by W:H

that's it - and i'm proud of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I perform about 4 tricks regularly, because they fit my style. On the other hand, I jazz reasonably often and feel quite comfortable doing that. It's just how I work.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I know quite a few, not about to sit and think and count them.

I know 5 or 6 inside and out, great reactions that boggle minds and I use these as much as possible.

Another 10-15 I have, or can have, performance ready in a matter of minutes. Go over to make sure I remember the sequences and they use sleights I practice or perform with regularly.

Another half-dozen of effects...I'd say I'm playing around with them, going to test them and see how much mileage I think I could get out of them.

and however many lost/forgotten/not my style effects that may or may not be used in the future...ever...

-Rik

:)

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
You know dude, after watching "Thoughts on Working" from Joel's blog again, really makes me think about whether or one should be learning all those tricks, that will never be used. My point is, a few sleights can make an enjoyable performance to watch. For example "Thoughts on Working." Man i hope Joel updates soon. I want to learn from him.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results