Best Pass Surrounded?

ZimFasa

Banned
Jul 28, 2008
As I said before, I perform at school. I'd like to know what type of pass I should use if I have people on each side of me, around 3 to 10 people. Like, which one can I use invisibly? because I always seem to get that person that absolutely won't take their eyes off my cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 13, 2007
pass

If any pass is done under misdirection there should be no worry. Otherwise just do some false shuffles or cuts to control the card which is what I'm assuming is your use of the pass is for.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
A double undercut.

If you're surrounded, don't even bother using a pass, there is no pass that is specifically designed to be invisible surrounded.

If you know there's one person who won't look away, look for other techniques which will stand such scrutiny, if you can't find them, change your effect.

It's just not worth the risk.

- Sean

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Spread Pass.
Chad nelson teaches on dananddave.com
or you can buy the book along with other sleights and tricks called the card magic of paul lepaul.
Also dont be scared to do a normal pass. Dont bring attention to the cards.
Dont look at the cards when your doing the move. Always have something to say.

Dec 22, 2007
Spread Pass.
Chad nelson teaches on dananddave.com
or you can buy the book along with other sleights and tricks called the card magic of paul lepaul.

Dude, he specifically asked for a pass that can be done surrounded. The spread pass cannot be done surrounded.

Your best bet is to use a dribble pass.

Or just a double undercut. :)

ZimFasa

Banned
Jul 28, 2008
A double undercut.

If you're surrounded, don't even bother using a pass, there is no pass that is specifically designed to be invisible surrounded.

If you know there's one person who won't look away, look for other techniques which will stand such scrutiny, if you can't find them, change your effect.

It's just not worth the risk.

- Sean

Do you know a good source to learn the double undercut? Like, I know the move, but I've never had any in-depth explanation of the move and its nuances.

Dec 22, 2007
Well, personally (and this is going to make the fanboys cringe) I learned it from Crash Course 1 from Ellusionist.

It's served me well thus far.

- Sean

yea, thats where i learned it too.

brad is a master at the double undercut.

Jun 24, 2008
United States
Sean_Raf is absolutely right. Just don't use the pass. I know this also from experience. This is my second year doing magic in highschool. Double Undercut, false overhand shuffle, these are what i use when im surrounded and they never fail when people are burning the hand. They are a lot more effective then you realize! Hope this helped.

~Nate

Apr 28, 2008
The dribble pass is very difficult though =/

This isn't a good attitude to have when learning magic (or when doing anything). If the move is useful then it's worth putting in the effort. The Dribble pass isn't even that hard, it's one of the easier passes i've come across and it probably has the best angles.

If people are burning your hands use either a double undercut or an injog shuffle.

Oct 28, 2007
what about the miller cascade control it is angle proof-ish but it won't work if you absolutly need to do a pass due to it moves only one card. i would use the truffle shuffle.

if all else fails due something that is going to make them look no matter what. like a side trick

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I agree with Sean, steer clear of passes. Passes are good to know, and there are several proponents of the dribble pass here. But in your circumstance, just use another control.

If someone's staring at your hands, a spread pass won't cut it at all, there's simply no way to hide it if they're watching. Misdirection is another matter, performing to blind people is a third, but if someone's burning you, just stay away from passes imo.

Filth, if you can prove me wrong with a video of the dribble pass from 360 angles, I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

A double undercut.

The problem that there are effects where the pass cannot be replaced, how can we solve this problem?
An answer might be: Don't perform the effect! Here is what happened: I was performing the effect for 2 spectators only, and before I know it, I got surrounded, I already started doing the effect, how can I get out!

One thing that interests me that everyone seems to be a master of misdirection when he talks about the pass. "Cover it with misdirection", this is WAY easier said than done, and from what I read, 90% of the posters ultimately have no idea or no experience in what they're talking about, beside parroting what they hear or read elsewhere.

Another thing to think about: Fred Braue ( in his Invisible Pass booklet ) said that his pass can be done surrounded, a claim supported by Paul Rosini and Jeff Busby, this not to mention Hugard's excitement when he published the move ( by making the first magic booklet in history dedicated to one move ). I'm haven't read or see any cardguy who can do it surrounded. In fact, many admit that it has angle issues. Maybe Braue/Hugard skipped a detail in explaining the move? Maybe magicians didn't understand the description correctly? .........

Regards ..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results