Instant Downloads and Torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2008
Personally, I love the convenience of instant downloads for magic. Not having to wait or pay for shipping is a luxury. However there is one huge problem with this. Downloads create the ability for buyers to easily upload the tricks for free access via torrents. We all know of the problems this creates. It seems that the simplest solution would be to eliminate instant downloads completely. I believe this would end the stream of torrents that plagues the magic community.
The convenience of instant downloads is not worth the price we all pay. Another alternate would be for theory 11 and similar websites to use the system danand dave.com uses, where buyers are allowed access to watch the tutorials online. There is no download, so there are no torrents. After purchasing the truffle shuffle I checked and no torrents exist that I could find. I was very happy with this. These online access points are more difficult than instant downloads but it is worth it to protect our art.

Personally, I love the convenience of instant downloads for magic. Not having to wait or pay for shipping is a luxury. However there is one huge problem with this. Downloads create the ability for buyers to easily upload the tricks for free access via torrents. We all know of the problems this creates. It seems that the simplest solution would be to eliminate instant downloads completely. I believe this would end the stream of torrents that plagues the magic community.
The convenience of instant downloads is not worth the price we all pay. Another alternate would be for theory 11 and similar websites to use the system danand dave.com uses, where buyers are allowed access to watch the tutorials online. There is no download, so there are no torrents. After purchasing the truffle shuffle I checked and no torrents exist that I could find. I was very happy with this. These online access points are more difficult than instant downloads but it is worth it to protect our art.

What about Ripping DVDS?

What about using catchers to catch the .flv files online, such as that D&D Use.

There are answers for everything. If people are going to Torrent, they are going to Torrent.

Think about Music, and DVDs, most of them arent downloaded yet there are Torrents and Illegal Downloads everywhere.

Sad, but true.

Aug 18, 2008
Yes it would still be possible to make torrents, but it would be more difficult. It would not remove the problem completely but it would slow it down. With instant downloads it takes two seconds to upload it again.

Aug 18, 2008
It is sad. It is so temping for good magicians to use torrents when they are hard on cash. Any steps we can take to reduce this problem would be very helpful to the magic community. I believe this is a start.

ZimFasa

Banned
Jul 28, 2008

It's nearly just as easy to make a torrent from an actual tangible DVD than it is to make one form a download. Movies are out as torrents before the DVD is eve released, and movies don't come as instant downloads either. So, like people have said, there is no way to have the material and not have it torrented.

Making them just DVD s would hurt T11's sales, and not slow down the torrent community all that much. Especially since so much material is out there already.

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
There is no way to stop torrents, no matter what format the information is released as. If someone wants to make a torrent of something, it will be uploaded.

That's true. But I have seen alot of Theory11 downloads, not a single Dan and Dave download (on demand videos). So I guess it's still possible to upload their vidoes but it's maybe harder to rip that kind of online videos.

D

Deleted member 2755

The only way to stop piracy on such a huge scale is to shut down the internet. It wouldn't be too hard to download flash videos. You can also convert them into other video files. Other sites such as Ellusionist attempt to make their DVD's protected. However, hackers still manage to make them unprotected and upload them.

There is not much of a way to stop it at all. Its unfortunate that many people in magic show no respect for the art and creators. If you should come across a page of an illegal download, stream, or anything that has to do with exposure or being able to view the original files, send a PM over to any of the moderators, Jon Raiker, or JB. We'll get on it.

Thanks guys and remember to pay your respects to the people helping you with your magic. :)

-Doug

Sep 3, 2007
The only way to stop piracy on such a huge scale is to shut down the internet.

Another sad but true from me. I think I remember the war between DVD companies and (I guess you could say hackers) over creating a copy protection they couldn't break. The sad truth is many of the people that break this stuff are either a) a part in the development process or b) twice as smart than the people developing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results