4 questions 4 all the magicians here.

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
1.) when and how did you get into magic

2.)who were your biggest influences on magic

3.)where do you get your inspirations from

4.)and what sacrifices did you make to be where you are now?

1. I got into magic when I was a Freshman in high school, and how? I actually read a Japanese book many years ago called "Case Closed" and in that book had an awesome Magician named Kid.1412 and that's how I got into magic.

2. Brad Christian

3. I get my inspirations from almost everyone and everything that I see everyday.

4. I did not sacrifices anything to get to where I am right now, I just do what makes me happy so therefore I did not sacrifices anything.(Follow your dream)

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert

1.-Like 8 months ago,because the magician who showed me a trick is a prick.

2.-David Blaine, RTshowman and Aaron fisher( sometimes the buck twins)

3.-same as above

4.-All my school books and the lunch of my friend, all that to buy the paper engine, I am currently working in a way to get back the lunch.:D

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
After playing solitaire by myself every now and then, I decided to step up my game...

Oz Pearlman was the first. Wayne Houchin and Danny Garcia came next. They were the big ones when I started. They made me want to continue, so I did. Thanks, guys.

Books, DVD's, performing for people is inspiring too.

I sacrificed my layman views on magic. I don't enjoy watching a lot of the performances out there anymore but occasionally something new will blow me away; as was the case for the recently released 'Exile'.

Sep 25, 2008
Singapore

1. I got into Magic after watching a Magic Themed TV show from Taiwan..Sparked off my interest towards Magic..The first thing that shocked me was a rubber band trick, which later I found out that it's being called the Crazyman's Handcuff..hahas..It's now one of the best tricks that I can perform with a rubber band..

2. Biggest Influence? Wayne Houchin definitely..Sinful and Stigmata = Pure Ownage..

3. Magicians around me, as I'm in the Magic Club in my school..In Singapore, Magic Clubs in schools are really rare..

4. Sacrifices? Time and Money definitely, but with the end product of making my audiences feel entertained rewards me more than anything else..

- Dylan

Jan 16, 2008
Wroking Overseas

1. I got into magic a few months before the Iraq war kicked off. I wanted to do a trick to get my friend back because it fooled me badly. Then I got addicted.

2. David Blaine, Daniel Garcia, Richard Sanders, and now Daniel Madison after reading a few of his .pdf's.

3. I love magic and still do magic, but Derren Brown inspires me the most out of any magician or mentalist. Presentation is key to anyone doing mentalism or magic, and I think he sets the bar for pulling people in with a presentational hook.

4. First off I am no where close to where I want to be, but lots of money, time, practice, and stomaching through some embarrasing moments got me to where I am now.

1) My maths teacher last year just happened to be a professional magician and poker dealer. He taught maths sometimes too.

2) Wayne Houchin, and the guys at the convention :D

3) Pretty much this year at superday was my biggest inspiration in magic to date. Get your self to the nearest convention, stat!

4) I sacrificed all my school work. What? My school certificate isn't next week, what're you talking about?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne

I got into magic around nine years ago, which would have made me about 13 years old. I saw a David Blaine special as well as a big huge chart rundown of the greatest magic tricks ever, where I got to watch Guy Hollingworth, Lance Burton, Juan Tamariz, Max Maven, David Berglas, Meir Yedid... loads. I was immediately inspired by these guys and the next day I begun thoroughly studying magic. That hobby led into a full time pursuit!

When I started, it was Blaine, Derren Brown, just TV magicians, really.
As my studies grew and my knowledge expanded, my influences have became very extensive for varying different reasons.

I can get my inspiration from the silliest things. I have an effect with an apple... I was inspired... by an apple. Sounds odd, and it is really, but I suppose it's all about the creative process of the individual.

I have sacrificed a hell of a lot. I've lost a lot and gained some attributes I wish I hadn't. But I'm sure it'll end up being worthwhile.

CL

Oct 20, 2008
Guam, USA

1.) When i was younger i saw david blaine on TLC and was just fascinated, years later in highschool a friend of mine brought it up. I learned some tricks and hit the streets to perform.

2.) David Blaine got me into it, Brad Christian taught me the basics through Ellusionist, Daniel Garcia and Wayne Houchin stepped my game up with such hard hitting effects.

3.) I get my inspirations from all the aforementioned magicians, and my other "magician" friends.

4.)Sacrifices? umm.. other than some money and a lot of time. nothing

Jan 14, 2008
philippines

A.i got into magic about a year ago i do demos for svengali and stripper decks i have no background in magic prior to that... but know i only do normal decks...

A.influence?? i still have no idea... W;H,Lee Asher,D+M,DnD,darrenbrown

A.from the look on their faces everytime i perform.... their reactions...

A.ofcoures money wise i deprived my self of other things just to buy a deck of cards hehehe

1. I got into magic in the winter (november) of 06'. By big brother showed me how to do a double lift, and i loved cards. He then quit magic soonafter :(

2. To be honest, I have no real big influences. I have respect for good magicians, but some take themselves to seriously, and i can't say i'm influenced by them.

3. I get my inspirations from watching people better than me perform. I want to be the best one day, so watching those better than me helps

4. Hahah well, let's just say my social life has taken a little dive for the worst :)

1- 3.5-4 years ago, watching a Blaine special.

2- Fred Braue, Bro.John Hamman, Henning Nelms, Ascanio, Vernon, Marlo , Arthur Buckley, Derren Brown, Goeff Latta, and Richard Kaufman among many others.

3- Reading, work, movies, history and a bit of imagination.

4- Time, money, and a little bit of college grades ( back when I started out, then I came to my senses )

Here is a good advice: Manage your priorities.

Regards,

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
a year ago how well i dont know
it all started by david blaine
daniel madison
i kill a chicken every fullmoon..

Sep 9, 2008
Philippines
1. I got into magic 6 months ago on March because me and my sis got a stripper deck for Christmas and I played around with it and on March, I realized that I wanted to do magic.

2. Wayne Houchin, Daniel Garcia, Daniel Madison, The Buck Twins and Chris Kenner are the magicians who inspire me.

3. I get inspiration from other magicians who perform well, cool tricks and the crazy reactions you get from audiences who thought your trick was good.

4. Some sacrifices I made was having to pay for my magic stuff, buying some stuff that I just realized now were useless, and I used some of my time looking at magic rather than studying, so I had to cram.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
1.) My friend in my school had moved here from Las Vegas and he was a magician and seeing what he could do floored me, I loved it. So I started pursuing magic. :D

2.) Wayne Houchin, Daniel Garcia, Daniel Madison, Criss Angel, David Blaine

3.)I just answered those from number 2.

4.) Lots of $$$. haha

Sep 2, 2007
1. I started doing some very small mostly self working effects when I was about 11. I forgot about it for a few years and then started to get really serious about it wheni was 14 (freshman year). As for how, my dad used to do a french drop with anything small and hide it under his arm. As a small child it was ablsolutely amazing. My intrest grew to all kinds of close up magic.

2. I bought my first DVD from ellusionist so I will start with Brad Christian. Then Wayne Houchin, Danny Garcia and David Blaine.

3. I get inspiriation from everything. People places things, it can hit at any time.

4. Lots of tiime, and initially a whole lot of money, but the pay off is well worth it.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
Although I don't count myself as a magician (or sleight of hand expert) mainly because I think you need to have several years of practice to even be labeled that, I can answer the questions.

1. I started when I was very young. I think about 4th or 5th grade. However I stopped when I got older because other things became more of a priority (school, work, girls---not in that order). I picked it up again about a year and half ago after watching a movie (either the Illusionist or the Prestige...I watched them both around the same time so I don't remember).

2. Oz Pearlman at first. But I really got hooked when I started seeing some of Daniel Madison (at a younger age...I was copperfield all the way :) )

3. My biggest inspirations right now...to many to name. Really anyone who can make me stop and think about reality and what really just happened. Mathieu Bich comes to mind.

4. I do sacrifice a good bit of time. My wife thinks I am crazy to continue with magic (she isn't really impressed very easily). I also sacrifice a good bit of communication with people closer to me. When I get in the mood of doing a bunch of tricks...it is hard to get out of it. However, I try not to pass up any opportunity to perform at my local mall or with some friends at a party or even for my younger brothers. It is all worth it in my opinion.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
1. I originally got into magic about 15/16 years ago, was introduced by my Dad and Uncle who both had an interest in the big M.

2. Biggest influences, so so so many :p I'd say the magic I've performed for my professional career so far would be Banachek, Max Maven, Blaine, Simon Drake to name a few, a darker side of mentalism with a bit of magic thrown in for good measure!:)

3. Inspiration comes from everything, I love stories, movies are great for inspiration, other magicians like those above and I love reading old mentalism texts and getting cool ideas to modernize stuff!

4. Hmmmm...Sacrificed the most part of my life :p Every second of the day is preoccupied by deception - There's never a dull moment when I'm not thinking about the best ways to make people go nuts!:p

D.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA

1. I got into magic about 3 years ago when I was surfing the internet and found a website called Ellusionist.

2. My biggest influences are Daniel Garcia, Ricky Smith, the Bucks, Wayne Houchin, and a few underground artists who have yet to be exposed.

3. Pretty much everybody I named above, as well as just random things I see everyday.

4. Sacrifices... well, I had to spend a lot of time practicing, but other than that I really haven't sacrificed much. Maybe I don't go to as many parties, but that's not huge. Then there's money of course.

David

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com

1.)one day i was bored and went with my friends to the local magic shop where we were mind-assaulted, and ripped off. Subsequently i kept going back to buy tricks and decks while the rest stopped magic

2.) Daniel Garcia, Wayne Houchin and David Blaine.

3.) Everything and anything. The last effect i dreamt up came from staring at a paperclip in class.

4.) My gades have taken a dip i'd say.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results