Distortion Annoyance

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
yeah I was performing Distortion alot today, and for some reason, when I start shaking the card, it's almost like their mind or eyes turn off cuz some people don't even see that the pips are moving.

It's nothing wrong that I did. I do it nice and slow and very smooth. So since they don't see the pips move, all they can think of is, "You just had a second 6 of diamonds" Almost as if it was a non visual transposition. And I'm like, "............. yeah but that wouldn't explain the diamonds moving"

And their like, "What?? They were moving??" It's kinda arrgrating!! :mad:

BUT The good thing is that MOST people see the pips moving! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2008
NYC
tell'em to get glasses, hahah
but yeah, i've never had that situation, kinda weird.
maybe u should emphasize the fact that u have the four of diamonds in your hand and be like "ok so we'll take the four of diamonds and if i shake it like this *shake the card*.....watch close *do the change*...."

Oct 16, 2007
My first impression was that you may have not emphasized the fact of a visual transposition would occur. (i.e. after an Ambitious Card trick or two, saying something like, "Now that was pretty cool but what if you could actually see the card change?") This and your face turning to the card in hand would lend the eyes to watch and put everyone on the same page

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
My first impression was that you may have not emphasized the fact of a visual transposition would occur. (i.e. after an Ambitious Card trick or two, saying something like, "Now that was pretty cool but what if you could actually see the card change?") This and your face turning to the card in hand would lend the eyes to watch and put everyone on the same page

Ooooo I like that!! :)

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
but...like...
how can the spectators NOT see red freaking moving pips?!
very strange.
Perhaps you werent engaging the audience enough and they were distracted by other things. Like butterflies.
OR
you tilted the card at an angle where they couldnt see it properly

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
but...like...
how can the spectators NOT see red freaking moving pips?!
very strange.
Perhaps you werent engaging the audience enough and they were distracted by other things. Like butterflies.
OR
you tilted the card at an angle where they couldnt see it properly

No cuz people right next to them could see them moving. And those whom did not see them move are looking right at the card and never take their eyes off of it.

I've heard with some people that by shaking the card it Distorts their vison so they can't see the card clearly anymore, even when I'm shaking it lightly and just about everyone else can see them. idk. It's weird. :rolleyes:

Dec 10, 2007
Slovenia (Europe)
Happened to me as well.

I figured out you just have to make it simpler. When I place the 6 under their hand and then wave the 4 for the change, my left hand with the deck goes down, I focus all the attention on my right hand and say;

"Watch the diamonds"

Do not say "pips". Majority of laymen don't even know what that is. So do that and go slowly with the change, don't make the jerks too big. If the lighting is harsh, increase the distance and vise-versa (Spelled right?).

Distortion is great :).

-Seb

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results