Guardians sold by USPCC/Stores?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm sorry, but what effort goes into finding any online magic seller? I don't post much, but really, magic is easier to find today than it ever was. Whether someone finds T11, Ellusionist, Penguin, or anything else, it's all only a Google search away. Finding a magic store online is one of the easiest things someone can accomplish today. A bit of searching for David Blaine or Criss Angel, and they're here. A few dollars later, and they have some DVDs, custom decks, etc.

I've seen this "worry" pop up time and time again. And yet, nothing ever happens. How many tens or hundreds of Svengali decks have been sold at malls, in airports, in toy stores, and cheap magic kits around the world? How many thumbtips? These are all real brick and mortar venues. Despite the wide exposure, I'm still able to perform with both items and fool the pants off people.

Picking up a deck of T11 cards in an actual store isn't going to make T11 any easier to find than it already is. Those who are interested will explore the site. Those who get bitten by "the bug" will stay, and hopefully grow into great magicians. Those who don't will leave in short order.

Magic has to be accessible to laypeople. If the secrets aren't shared, then the art would die out. We all started as non-magicians. Nobody kept us out of the game. We were welcomed into the community, and were allowed to start learning just like everyone else.

Not to mention, many people nowadays actually use cards for playing games. It's a shocking thought, I know. Lots of card enthusiasts out there like cool-looking cards for their games, and could care less that a "magic company" designed them.

If anything, we should look on this as a good thing. If T11 is able to get their cards into stores on such a wide basis, that allows them to earn more money, which they can then put back into their company to create more releases for us to enjoy.

But, no, you guys are right. Nobody should be able to find out about magic at all. That way all of the magic companies can go out of business and we can all be forced to start using our own creativity....

That's a gross exaggeration of other perspectives and you know it.

The issue I think many people have (not validating it, merely stating) is an influx of laymen/new magicians flooding the T11 site and forums. Whilst I don't think it'll be as drastic as that, it's highly probable that at least some will. This is one criticism made at the E forums, and for me personally, the T11 forums have been a place more catering towards non-completely beginner magicians, and as a magician, I value this. Not saying that it's bad, or whatever, I merely value the balance as it is.

Now, to specific points in your post.

I'm sorry, but what effort goes into finding any online magic seller? I don't post much, but really, magic is easier to find today than it ever was. Whether someone finds T11, Ellusionist, Penguin, or anything else, it's all only a Google search away. Finding a magic store online is one of the easiest things someone can accomplish today. A bit of searching for David Blaine or Criss Angel, and they're here. A few dollars later, and they have some DVDs, custom decks, etc.

About six months to find T11, it took me. The focus of concern is not towards "any magic seller", it's towards T11. And again I refer to the balance I spoke of.

I've seen this "worry" pop up time and time again. And yet, nothing ever happens. How many tens or hundreds of Svengali decks have been sold at malls, in airports, in toy stores, and cheap magic kits around the world? How many thumbtips? These are all real brick and mortar venues. Despite the wide exposure, I'm still able to perform with both items and fool the pants off people.

I agree on this point - that magic oft sold will not affect your own performances if you're good enough. Although, increased exposure obviously wouldn't help.

Picking up a deck of T11 cards in an actual store isn't going to make T11 any easier to find than it already is. Those who are interested will explore the site. Those who get bitten by "the bug" will stay, and hopefully grow into great magicians. Those who don't will leave in short order.

Yes, yes it will, actually.

Magic has to be accessible to laypeople. If the secrets aren't shared, then the art would die out. We all started as non-magicians. Nobody kept us out of the game. We were welcomed into the community, and were allowed to start learning just like everyone else.

Oh, stop it already. They're not proposing a freaking apocalypse. Tell me where someone said "You can't learn magic." People here are opposed to the influx in this community. Exaggerating the scale of your argument does not make it more legitimate. Not all magic. The issue is concerning this community. I see your point, and I don't completely disagree but your post is ridiculous.

If anything, we should look on this as a good thing. If T11 is able to get their cards into stores on such a wide basis, that allows them to earn more money, which they can then put back into their company to create more releases for us to enjoy.

But, no, you guys are right. Nobody should be able to find out about magic at all. That way all of the magic companies can go out of business and we can all be forced to start using our own creativity....

Yes I agree with this being a good thing for the company. But your post is riddled with exaggeration which completely, I'm afraid, derails your point. As I said, that's an exaggeration and you know it. Legitimacy does not derive from sarcasm, nor exaggeration, that's totally ridiculous. I don't necessarily disagree with you (despite some obvious flaws in reasoning) but there's no need to blow up someone's argument because you disagree, that annoys me.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
That's a gross exaggeration of other perspectives and you know it.

The issue I think many people have (not validating it, merely stating) is an influx of laymen/new magicians flooding the T11 site and forums. Whilst I don't think it'll be as drastic as that, it's highly probable that at least some will. This is one criticism made at the E forums, and for me personally, the T11 forums have been a place more catering towards non-completely beginner magicians, and as a magician, I value this. Not saying that it's bad, or whatever, I merely value the balance as it is.

Now, to specific points in your post.

About six months to find T11, it took me. The focus of concern is not towards "any magic seller", it's towards T11. And again I refer to the balance I spoke of.

I agree on this point - that magic oft sold will not affect your own performances if you're good enough. Although, increased exposure obviously wouldn't help.

Yes, yes it will, actually.

Oh, stop it already. They're not proposing a freaking apocalypse. Tell me where someone said "You can't learn magic." People here are opposed to the influx in this community. Exaggerating the scale of your argument does not make it more legitimate. Not all magic. The issue is concerning this community. I see your point, and I don't completely disagree but your post is ridiculous.

Yes I agree with this being a good thing for the company. But your post is riddled with exaggeration which completely, I'm afraid, derails your point. As I said, that's an exaggeration and you know it. Legitimacy does not derive from sarcasm, nor exaggeration, that's totally ridiculous. I don't necessarily disagree with you (despite some obvious flaws in reasoning) but there's no need to blow up someone's argument because you disagree, that annoys me.

It just can't be said better... Thanks for the post.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com

Not to mention, many people nowadays actually use cards for playing games. It's a shocking thought, I know. Lots of card enthusiasts out there like cool-looking cards for their games, and could care less that a "magic company" designed them.

Kevin,

Great, great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

That said, I have to say it's refreshing to see that so many of you respect and love the art as much as you do. It's evident when something of this nature worries you. Great to see thoughts and opinions from both sides of the spectram. Let's try to prevent this from turning into an argument, though. Remember - as magicians - we need to respect all those that respect the art.

...magicians are born not made.
I completely agree with this thinking. However, we all had to discover that we were "born magicians" at some point. Some early on; some later on in life.

The point is, in order for the art to progress we need new minds in magic. Otherwise, it would remain stagnant indefinitely.

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
www.newyorkmagicproject.com
I'm not being sarcastic, nor am I trying to make gross exaggerations.

For a long time many people have been lamenting the Internet as the death of magic. That's not an exaggeration, that's an argument that I've seen made by many people on various forums, and one I happen to disagree with.

I don't believe the Svengali/Thumb Tip example is as extreme as you make it out to be. If mass exposure truly had a large impact on the state of things, then we'd see those repercussions. Despite the fact that for several decades, these have been two of the most highly-exposed items in magic, they're still totally usable, and in a lot of ways unknown to a lot of people.

The parallel here is that people seem to be feeling that a deck of cards is going to bring a large influx of insincere laypeople here into the forums. I guess ultimately the proof will be in the pudding, but I can't see that happening. There is more of an influx of these types of people after any Blaine special than there will be from these cards being available. I've seen it on multiple forums. A special airs, there's a surge of new people, and then they fade away in a very short amount of time. Do you honestly think that a deck of cards being available in a store to the general public is going to generate the same kind of traffic that Blaine or Angel do?

I can appreciate that you have a passion for the art you love, and the community you've chosen. You obviously took a lot of time in choosing an environment to be a part of, which is more than can be said for most people. And it's fine to want to protect the art and community from the general rabble.

But let's face it, people already know that magic secrets are sold, and a deck of cards being made available is not going to change that. If people want to come here, they will, one way or another.

My initial post wasn't directly entirely at you, but more at the knee-jerk reaction expressed by many that this new development will somehow be a downfall for T11 and ruin things. I know from experience that it won't. I've seen those feelings expressed too many times and for too many reasons, and then seen no ill effects from them to believe that the availability of these cards will be anything but good.

Far too many people start to pout when something they like seems like it's going to be made more widely available. My point is, if they had access to it, why shouldn't anyone else? People stating that they don't want these cards in stores is pretty much expressing that emotion.

My biggest point is that if people are really concerned with magic in general, or with T11 specifically, there's a lot more they can do than complain about a deck of cards becoming available. They can try to crack down on exposure. They can perfect their performances to generate a feeling of appreciation in their audiences. They can be role models, teachers, and guides here in the forums to any new people who do come in.

Again, I meant no sarcasm in my post (with the exception of the last couple of lines) and do not feel that I really blew anything out of proportion. If anyone wants to be a part of the T11 community, they're no more or less deserving than anyone else. It doesn't matter if they find the site through a Google search, from another forum, or from finding a deck of cards in the store. Everyone who's in the forum now had to find the place one way or another, and nobody lamented their arrival. So why should we feel bad about new blood finding the community just because of their method of discovering it?

Put yourself in those shoes. Say that you, as an enthusiast of magic and cards, stumble across this deck at your local Wal-Mart. You check out the website, and find what you've been looking for in an online magic community. There's just as much chance that good can arise from this situation as bad. I've found that most people don't join magic forums to cause problems and be jerks. They join forums because they have a strong enough interest in the field to explore it further. So we have just as much likelihood of adding good members to the forum based on this availability as we do of adding bad ones. So why not focus on the positive?

More people involved in good, constructive magic communities can really do nothing but benefit everyone.

Anyway, never my intention to stir up trouble, but more to ask for a bit of perspective from those who are having knee-jerk reactions to a problem that's pretty minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Back to lurking with me...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Firstly, I just wanted to say that likewise, no jabs at you directly are being made, and I post with great respect for you personally.

I'm not being sarcastic, nor am I trying to make gross exaggerations.

For a long time many people have been lamenting the Internet as the death of magic. That's not an exaggeration, that's an argument that I've seen made by many people on various forums, and one I happen to disagree with.

That may be so, but it's not what the people who have posted above have been arguing - again, our arguments are on the scale of one forum, one site, not this overarching idea of "magic". Not various forums, one forum. This is an example of what I meant by exaggeration (again, apart from the last few lines of your first post). Not stretching the facts, but stretching the scale, I don't wish to apply universal arguments inappropriately to a local issue.

I don't believe the Svengali/Thumb Tip example is as extreme as you make it out to be. If mass exposure truly had a large impact on the state of things, then we'd see those repercussions. Despite the fact that for several decades, these have been two of the most highly-exposed items in magic, they're still totally usable, and in a lot of ways unknown to a lot of people.

If you would kindly re-read my post, I agreed with you here. Again, you misunderstand my application of exaggeration. Exaggeration in this scenario is defined by what I see as you referring to the whole of magic constantly, whereas all I am arguing (and again - I have stated several times that I do not disagree with your opinion on many counts) is to do with this site specifically.

The parallel here is that people seem to be feeling that a deck of cards is going to bring a large influx of insincere laypeople here into the forums. I guess ultimately the proof will be in the pudding, but I can't see that happening. There is more of an influx of these types of people after any Blaine special than there will be from these cards being available. I've seen it on multiple forums. A special airs, there's a surge of new people, and then they fade away in a very short amount of time. Do you honestly think that a deck of cards being available in a store to the general public is going to generate the same kind of traffic that Blaine or Angel do?

No, of course not. I daresay that Criss Angel doesn't bring traffic to Theory11 though. As for David Blaine - perhaps with eXile - but many, many sites have far more dedicated sites to these two people, and as a whole you'd be right. As far as how many people they've brought directly to Theory11 (local scale remember), I'd say not really that many. If they searched for it, T11 is very low comparatively on the sites they'd reach. T11 cards, however - and you're right on one thing, the proof shall indeed be in the pudding - however the potential for traffic directed at Theory11 is far greater in my opinion than Blaine or Angel do. Again - not magic in general, but T11.

I can appreciate that you have a passion for the art you love, and the community you've chosen. You obviously took a lot of time in choosing an environment to be a part of, which is more than can be said for most people. And it's fine to want to protect the art and community from the general rabble.

But let's face it, people already know that magic secrets are sold, and a deck of cards being made available is not going to change that. If people want to come here, they will, one way or another.

They will, but only through a process - for the most part, as I said, I feel that T11 is directed at, and consists largely of, non-complete beginners. If people want to come here, they will come here through magic, as it stands. I point to my own experience of only finding this site after around 6 months of wandering in the magic world. This is not the case with the commercial selling of Guardians. However I feel there is an important issue here I will address in my conclusion to this post.

My initial post wasn't directly entirely at you, but more at the knee-jerk reaction expressed by many that this new development will somehow be a downfall for T11 and ruin things. I know from experience that it won't. I've seen those feelings expressed too many times and for too many reasons, and then seen no ill effects from them to believe that the availability of these cards will be anything but good.

Far too many people start to pout when something they like seems like it's going to be made more widely available. My point is, if they had access to it, why shouldn't anyone else? People stating that they don't want these cards in stores is pretty much expressing that emotion.

I agree regarding feelings expressed too quickly. I cite the Smoke and Mirror decks for example as Exhibit A. As for why shouldn't anyone else - see conclusion.

My biggest point is that if people are really concerned with magic in general, or with T11 specifically, there's a lot more they can do than complain about a deck of cards becoming available. They can try to crack down on exposure. They can perfect their performances to generate a feeling of appreciation in their audiences. They can be role models, teachers, and guides here in the forums to any new people who do come in.

With the exception of the exposure point (crack down on exposure? After I finish with that, I'll end famine), I try on every other account. That said, it's nice to have the balance here I referred to in my first post.

Again, I meant no sarcasm in my post (with the exception of the last couple of lines) and do not feel that I really blew anything out of proportion. If anyone wants to be a part of the T11 community, they're no more or less deserving than anyone else. It doesn't matter if they find the site through a Google search, from another forum, or from finding a deck of cards in the store. Everyone who's in the forum now had to find the place one way or another, and nobody lamented their arrival. So why should we feel bad about new blood finding the community just because of their method of discovering it?

I apologise if you misread my intentions. My exaggeration point has been defined in this post, and my sarcasm referred specifically to your last couple of lines.

Put yourself in those shoes. Say that you, as an enthusiast of magic and cards, stumble across this deck at your local Wal-Mart. You check out the website, and find what you've been looking for in an online magic community. There's just as much chance that good can arise from this situation as bad. I've found that most people don't join magic forums to cause problems and be jerks. They join forums because they have a strong enough interest in the field to explore it further. So we have just as much likelihood of adding good members to the forum based on this availability as we do of adding bad ones. So why not focus on the positive?

More people involved in good, constructive magic communities can really do nothing but benefit everyone.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this per se. I have nothing wrong with beginners either. I merely enjoy the presence of more experienced magicians, with the balance as it is. That is all I'm saying, not that anyone else is bad. Maybe this perspective is slightly elitist. But the appeal of this community in my perspective as opposed to the Penguin forums, or the E forums, is exactly this balance - this is the image that T11 created, the "Underground magic and cardistry epicenter" - this is the image that T11 brands proudly at the top of every page, and it is this image that I prefer over other forums'. However, refer to the conclusion.

Anyway, never my intention to stir up trouble, but more to ask for a bit of perspective from those who are having knee-jerk reactions to a problem that's pretty minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Back to lurking with me...

I welcome your perspective and I do not see it as trouble at all.

Now, the much anticipated (as if) conclusion.

My intention with my first post was not to disagree with you.

My intention with my first post, as with this one, was to point out some errors I thought existed in your argument. Specifically, and mainly, these were the application of universal arguments prevalent to the art of magic towards an issue that was community based. In this sense, I thought you missed the point of what we were arguing and essentially criticising a non-existent perspective - it simply wasn't what we were arguing.

As I have stated many times with you, in the broader context of magic I don't disagree - you are right about the perspectives you criticise. And, as far as T11 the company goes, I agree it's very good for the company and I applaud this action.

My only intent was to consolidate the opinions which have been previously expressed (which I believe manifests itself primarily as my argument regarding balance, why people value T11), and to point out the flaws in your argument, mainly regarding your application of universal arguments (exaggeration of scale), and a few smaller issues (sarcasm, etc.), which in this context were inappropriate and missed the point we were making.

At no time did I intend offense and I hope you understand my perspective in critiquing your argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I believe it was said that the DVDs won't be - meaning it's limited to cards, not sure if all will be sold - probably only Cents and Guardians, if at all the former.

I would freakin' die if the DVDs were sold in stores! im not even kidding.
I now realize that i did jump to quickly to depression about people coming into this website. People dont even notice decks of cards in stores. And when they do buy they'll just go for the regular, cheaper, red or blue backs.
No worries.
I feel much better because today,almost literally, the whole cafeteria room was asking me to do magic, called me the devil himself, some people ran away screaming and just DAH!
It was a good day...

Aug 31, 2007
www.the3c.info
Ive already picked some up at the USPC

Heres the thread http://decknique.net/forums/thread:6780

and heres what the box ect looks like

A double backer and a T11 insert card with a "key card" style effect is included.

Other than the box design, I can feel no difference whatsoever.

I think that custom cards that are as popular as these should be released into public. Now I can get as many as I want, whenever I want, without waiting or paying for shipping.

Thanks guys!

D

Deleted member 2755

At first I was completely against the decks going into stores. I was pretty upset about it. However, yesterday I had a deep conversation about it on the phone with a magician I came up once in a while. He gave me a back of a background history on the USPCC and all the custom decks coming out. Pretty interesting stuff. He then told me his reasons as to why he really didn't care that much and told me about why I shouldn't really care. I disagreed with him for a while, but he said many things to make me rethink.

Now, I'm not for or against it. I have no opinion. Would I rather it didn't happen? I guess.... (Not for the reasons you probably think though.:rolleyes: Not going to get into that.) However, it will be a convenience if I could go to Wallgreens and pick some up. I don't think these will be that common though. Some of E's decks like the Black Tiger are available in some stores, but I've never come across them. I'll make a post later as to why none of you should really be concerned about your magic here. ;) (I would now, but I gotta finish up some stuff I promised a friend I would do. So, I'll be on here later.:p)

-Doug

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I LOVE guitar hero!
I could kick your butt with my plastic guitar :D

what? well how about a card duel, right now!!!!

I invoke my Cross-eyed white dragon with 2000atk And I command it to atack your plastic guitar!!!!

On a serious note, well good for you guys to have guardians at store, I Have to pay like 4 $ for a normal red bicicle deck here....:( so Im happy for you guys:cool:

*Goes away and eats a cookie*

Aug 31, 2007
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I heard about this a while ago and ive been looking for them whenever i go to the store. It would be real convienent to a bunch of us seeing how if we wanted a deck of these we could o to our local store instead of gettin a credit card, waiting, blah. As for the not so good idea of releasing these. I don't think we have much to worry about. I mean as it is, not many people visit the card aisle, and when they do its usually for a deck so they can play a card game or somethig, if someone was dedicated enough to magic and knew what and where they came from they might actually get them. Other than that i dont think theres much we need to worry about.

As for the release date? Anyone see them yet? If so where at, if not i hope its soon.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results