How many T11 members participate in exposure sites?

Dec 10, 2007
i used to paticipate.....i even was a mod at one of the sites. Stopped doing magic because I realized what i have been doing,a and it was so wrong. I still dont do magic anymore.

then why do you have 87 posts on a magic site? or are you saying you only flourish now?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Yes I did. Yes, go ahead and bash me, but I just finished watching 'This is England', And I feel incredibly patriotic towards my own self. I did download. In fact, I had downloaded 2 dvd's before I decided it was wrong and unethical.

Im not afraid to admit it.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I had no clue exposure sites exsisted when I first started, the first thing I was introducted to was Ellusionist. I stuck around there for a long time until I realized youtube showed a few things, for awhile I just watched effects and was never really interested in exposures because I was still learning and had too much material already. I know the one thing I specifically learned from youtube was Dream of Aces, but I felt that people on youtube/exposure sites don't give you near as much insight as those magicians that actually make the videos. Because I feel the artist that put the time into the videos are so much more informantive I don't even bother with youtube, I ended up buying Dream of Aces from E anyhow.

Dec 26, 2007
This interesting because it shows that many people grow out of it. Honestly it hurts to see a persons hard work put up and given a one sentence explanation say they figured it out. I have noticed that the wrong method is taught or the small details are not covered and people cant perform it, then they say its an overpriced effect and it wont fool people.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
This is England is an incredible film, possibly my favourite film of last year (it was only released 2007 in Australia). Absolutely brilliant.

That wasn't the original idea for my post, but This is England was a great movie ;) I especially like Milky - he's just cool. And it portrays the reality behind skinheads - theyre not just a bunch of criminals.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
This interesting because it shows that many people grow out of it. Honestly it hurts to see a persons hard work put up and given a one sentence explanation say they figured it out. I have noticed that the wrong method is taught or the small details are not covered and people cant perform it, then they say its an overpriced effect and it wont fool people.

Shaune's totally right - I HATE exposure sites with a passion. the worst thing is that I've never read anything on the few I've cast eyes upon that is of any use to anyone. It seems to me that it's for people that just want to know how things are done because a magician floored them with it one time and they want to call him out on it...

I just recently sent out a batch email about a particular offender to several parties who hopefully can help do something about it. From that first mail we got several details and will take whatever action we can against the individual.

It's horrible when you go through one of these sites and look at how the members are towards each other, what they're doing to the kids that go on there - it's disgusting.

Plus you get a really horrible feeling in your stomach when you see a bunch of your own stuff revealed on there...

There's no real way of stopping this though, if one site gets shut down, another will pop up...

We've just got to do our best to steer people in the right direction. That's what's great about here and E having such a strong web presence, as well as things like cheap downloads and free downloads so that people get used to quality teaching and won't settle for less :)

D.

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
This topic is pretty pointless and hypocritical.
it's like asking who still downloads songs illegally.
guarantee if there's 20,000 songs on your iPod, there's at least one that came from illegal sources (a song sent by a friend still counts)

Sep 1, 2007
Other than the obvious unethical implications of exposure sites, there it the technical problem. If one tries to learn magic from these sites, they will learn it wrong and perform it wrong. It's a horrible way to start in magic--it gives beginners a large handicap that takes a while to overcome.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I think what Steve initially had in mind also covered downloading dvd's as well as learnining it form youtube-like sites. Becasue if you downloada dvd, you do not tend to have the 'technical' difficulties.

Sep 1, 2007
I'll be completly honest, the first sleight I ever learned, the Dl, I learned off some site. It was a horrible explanantion, and my doubles looked awful. After seeing the bad reactions i got from learning tricks off the web I was dedicated enough to shell out 30 bucks for Born to Perform Card magic, and the rest is history.

I admit it!!!

I have done a TON of exposing of effects on youtube. Inclusing Svengali deck, Invisible deck, Jumping Gemini, Stigmata, Ghost, Traveler, Invisible Palm, Shapeshifter, Ambitious Card, and others.

I was revealing those before I came here. Then I realized how wrong I waqs to do that. I instantly deleted all of my exposure videos and performances. Now, there is no way I can be charged with exposing anymore. Not a trace of those days is left behind.

Dylan P.

Sep 30, 2007
I am not ashamed to admit that I still find myself occasional looking at videos on youtube. Thats actually where I learned the riffle force that I still use to this day :D I have never learned an effect off of youtube though, not that I havnt tried but that the method is usually wrong and you dont get the small things that only a professional can teach you to make the effect flawless. I have visted LMT but I only looked around out of curiousity and didnt even have any ambition into learning anything so I never got anything out of it. I dont use my parent's money I have a job so if I want to learn something the "proper" way I will just buy it. Plus I am not a fan of the new and popular 1 trick dvds that cost 30$ a pop for and that everyone is doing, I look into classics which have mutiple effects and sleights per dvd/book which I have no problem spending 30-40$ a pop for those. So for the stuff that I am interested in learning, you will not be able to find any 8 year old kid doing a tutorial on it because the effect has been around even before they were a twinkle in their mommy and daddy's eyes haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results