I perform with regular Bicycle cards - Am I missing out?

D

Deleted member 2755

Not at all. However, some people just like collecting cards or using them because they like the look of them better. Its really all about your style and whether or not you are willing to spend the money. If you've never held a custom deck before, I recommend you get 1 or maybe a few just to try them out for the heck of it.

-Doug

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Blue and Red Bikes are the way to go.

reasons:

one - they are standard and will not be questioned if performed with
two - they handle just as good if not better than any other card for all ranges of close up magic (yes.. including flourishing)
three - gaff decks and packet tricks come in Bikes (ID, svengalli, etc...)
four - they are cheap yet high quality
five - they are easily purchased in various locations and can sometimes be bought in backs of 12 for 13 bucks (Sams club and Costco)
six - Regardless of the number of new decks out there, they still look good.

You are not missing out in terms of adding to or improving your performance.

For practice reasons however, or novelty decks to sometimes do private performances for your friends, then yeah, some of the newer decks are fun to have. I personally have a few guardians, split spades, brown wynns, Jerrys Nuggets, older Bees, Tally Hos, etc... But, I do not perform shows with them. Occasionally I will use them at a bar for just fun, but, nothing on the books.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
im with you, Steven ;)

Never really saw the point of the 'collectors edition 2nd edition super fancy whatnots'.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I cant exactly say you are missing out but you arent exactly living it to the fullest

The normal bikes are the best thing to happen to magic. They are cheap, high quality, and really easy to find. Most magicians use them for practicing flourishes and sleight of hand. They last pretty long and dont cost too much. Most gimmicks do come in their look, which is convenient. They have a white border, symetrical design, and looks perfectly ordinary.

Now custom decks arent exactly a new genre of cards but they sometimes are a bit better to use. There are decks which seem to fit different things better. Some hold together better, some spread smoother, some have rounder edges, etc. Each deck has its own characteristics which may enhance your performance by a bit.

I buy these decks mainly for the collective purpose of it and to see which deck is good for what. I usually use normal bikes, but when the mood strikes, a Wynn or Lion is always there. They can be a bit nicer to practice with and does make you stand out a bit more when with friends.

But over all, custom decks are not a must, but they are something people enjoy to use as they are a tad different.

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
not everyone can buy custom decks... including me huhuhu,
bikes are standard in magic if you ask me....
two thumbs up tokyoUW.....

neco

Sep 1, 2007
Yes, you are missing out. Get Tally Ho-s. Quite standard, last longer and won't make a pot of glue in a matter of hours :p. As for custom decks, it's always nice to own a few black ones for loops or anything irrelevant.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
A personally like custom decks. Regular bikes are great, but custom decks are more my style.

I really think they are better, I mean regular bikes don't fan as good or feel as good as some custom decks. Not to mention they look amazing.

The only real down side of it, is that alot of laymen will probably question if the deck is ligit.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

reasons:

two - they handle just as good if not better than any other card for all ranges of close up magic (yes.. including flourishing)
four - they are cheap yet high quality
five - they are easily purchased in various locations and can sometimes be bought in backs of 12 for 13 bucks (Sams club and Costco)
six - Regardless of the number of new decks out there, they still look good.

You are not missing out in terms of adding to or improving your performance.

For practice reasons however, or novelty decks to sometimes do private performances for your friends, then yeah, some of the newer decks are fun to have. I personally have a few guardians, split spades, brown wynns, Jerrys Nuggets, older Bees, Tally Hos, etc... But, I do not perform shows with them. Occasionally I will use them at a bar for just fun, but, nothing on the books.

I disagree with the statement above and several of your reasons for it.

Aesthetics can play a very big role in adding to and indeed improving your performance. They contribute by creating atmosphere, to draw them into your world so you perform on your terms since it is you who are invading theirs.

Secondly, I do not believe you should be questioned about decks as gimmicks if you handle them correctly. Some argue that because they don't look normal, they attract suspicion. In Australia, all decks don't look normal, since there is no standard deck. Hence by this line of argument, I should be questioned because the deck I use is not normal; yet I never have been. It's all about how you handle the deck.

Thirdly, whilst I agree with your point about value for money, this only applies in certain areas, it certainly isn't true for here.

Fourthly, handling is very much a matter of opinion. Even areas not merely restricted to facets such as finish but thickness, stock, etc., can feel vastly different, and some prefer one or the other, and this choice can affect your performances.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I use Bikes and I enjoy them though I prefer Tally Ho's.

I use custom decks for the looks but I can also tell a difference, I can feel the difference between bikes and guardians and that is part of the reason why I don't mind spending a little more to get (to me) a better quality deck.

Also I don't think custom decks arise suspicison as I haven't really had issues with it. I've been asked it my Bikes are trick cards just because I did a werm or lethal x. People that see my custom cards comment on them and then ask if they can see something, I can't recall a moment where someone actually asked if my custom deck was a trick deck unless I was doing some type of flourish.

Yes, you are missing out. Get Tally Ho-s. Quite standard, last longer and won't make a pot of glue in a matter of hours :p. As for custom decks, it's always nice to own a few black ones for loops or anything irrelevant.

Do they really last longer? And why do they? Are they made with better materials?

I disagree most custom decks are superior or of a high quality.

JDEN

How are they?

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I agree with praetoritevong

Technically you are not missing out on anything, but it would be nice to experiment with a variety to see what suits your tastes. If you find standard bikes are best suited for you, then by all means stick with it.

Some custom cards I would say are of higher quality in terms of stock and finish, but they do compromise being slightly more expensive. It also really depends on your location and availability.

I also live in Australia, and no-one, (well maybe a small percentage 0.01%) has even heard of 'bicycle playing cards'. So normally people will suspect, a gaffed deck, whenever I bring out any cards to use. This has allowed me to use Tally Ho 9's on a regular basis without any speculation from my spectators.

Ultimately it is really your personal tastes. I agree with what everyone has said here. Buy a few decks to try out, and find a standard deck which you will use most of the time, and in your case, bicycles are a fine choice.

DL

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Do they really last longer? And why do they? Are they made with better materials?

How are they?

Hmm if you have Split spades on tally ho stock they are pretty similar.
Tally's imo last up to 2x longer than standard bikes. Fans will stay even longer than standard bikes.

I think it is because of its unique finish and card stock, that makes it so different. Just buy a pack to try out.

Cheapest place is probably eBay. Fullboatdealer is a trusted card salesman and sells brick of 12 tallys for 22.50

Personally I think it depends on your personal look. Like if I go up looking like Copperfield I could not pull off a ghost deck, but since all I wear is band T-Shirts(which are all black) then yeah i could.

Sorry if this is dumb/makes no sense. It is because i have tp gp tp school in a little bit.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland

QUOTE]

I have a problem with number one, and the problem is what you say in number three.

I have seen so many people question the classic red and blue bicycles because they know that they are made into gaff decks and sold at your local joke store.

Just my two cents.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results