Help With Table Hopping

Apr 27, 2008
I have done mentalism for about 7 months now and have Skullduggery, swami gimmick, 13 steps, 3510, Liquid Metal, E.I, Word in A Million, and Technique. My question is which effects do you perform that have great reactions table hopping and deals with mentalism. Reason why is because I have great interest in this category but I am trying to figure out effects where I can do some absolutely amazing stuff that have a small chance of messing up.

So anything simple and low risk would be awesome if you could recommend in the working environment. Thanks

Oct 16, 2008
I always love "Hands of fate by Luke Jermay" until now 'cause it impromptu & simple people like it.Liquid Metal its great too.:)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
lol you might hate this, because it requires little or no skill on your part, but to a layperson it is a great feat of mentalism, but the invisible deck is awesome for walkaround, strolling or table, and can fit any presentation you want, or it can be used as an out for an effect etc. Definitely consider using this underrated "mentalist" tool to achieve great effects.

Mar 29, 2008
Everything has a small chance at messing up, if you are well practiced and skilled at it.

I am disappointed at the question that this topic provided.

It seems like you are a effect collector - you have listed off your store bought effects and are running out of material...so the question appears to be a stab at "help, I need easy stuff to build my act as I am running out of material".

Meanwhile, finding "easy" stuff is SUCH a turn off of a question - that you may want to re-think it. If you are table hoping with mentalism - consider variety as something that will allow you to strengthen your act.

As Ortiz says - don't look for "easy" tricks - the goal is to make it easier on your audience, not on yourself.

This question is insulting on so many levels - even if I re-worded it in it's simplest form:

Has anyone put the hard work in to read or see some cool effects I can learn quick that are fool proof? I don't want to put much work into reading or finding them...so can someone do it for me? I got gigs to do!

The above advice is good - but once again - nothing replaces YOU finding what is right for you...REGARDLESS of how hard/easy it is.

IF you argue this concept - all I have to say is this: I am glad I am not in your audience...as anyone that loves shortcuts like you, would make me watch a marathon of slop.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
well I couldn't of said it any better if i tried. Only thing i recommend for the "real world" would be some of sankeys effects because I'm sure that's what he prides himself on is real world effects

Apr 27, 2008
Everything has a small chance at messing up, if you are well practiced and skilled at it.

I am disappointed at the question that this topic provided.

It seems like you are a effect collector - you have listed off your store bought effects and are running out of material...so the question appears to be a stab at "help, I need easy stuff to build my act as I am running out of material".

Meanwhile, finding "easy" stuff is SUCH a turn off of a question - that you may want to re-think it. If you are table hoping with mentalism - consider variety as something that will allow you to strengthen your act.

As Ortiz says - don't look for "easy" tricks - the goal is to make it easier on your audience, not on yourself.

This question is insulting on so many levels - even if I re-worded it in it's simplest form:

Has anyone put the hard work in to read or see some cool effects I can learn quick that are fool proof? I don't want to put much work into reading or finding them...so can someone do it for me? I got gigs to do!

The above advice is good - but once again - nothing replaces YOU finding what is right for you...REGARDLESS of how hard/easy it is.

IF you argue this concept - all I have to say is this: I am glad I am not in your audience...as anyone that loves shortcuts like you, would make me watch a marathon of slop.

I agree with you on effect collecting, but you misunderstood the question or maybe I need to word it differently. I do nearly every single trick all the time to several people. The problem is quite a few of these tricks take time and are not easily put into a table hopping routine, I am wondering out of the effects you know from the ones I listed and any others that you would recommend for table hopping. Sorry for any confusion, the thing is that when I have table hopped once or twice my routines are hard hitting and short, I like to keep it this way and adding two or three minutes is fine with me but I love to have a great performance more than anything and sometimes a restaurant is not the best place to perform some of the tricks.

I never once said anything about an easy trick or anything to that nature. What I wrote was what tricks have a low risk of not working, such as Touching on Hoy would be great in the sense that it's powerful but has a slight risk of not working, I am fine with this. I just didn't want anybody to list an effect where it has a 60/40 percent chance of working or something like that. Also, I see NO reason for you to say that I am trying to get people to do research or anything like that, I wanted to know if anybody has had any experience in table hopping mentalism what has worked. I don't know why you looked at this in all the negative ways.

Now that I got all this cleared up any suggestions from the ones you know, I do have an invisible deck but I forgot to mention that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
Coastaldude - I guess my response is based on a few things - my inability to see past the 60% of youth that have a hard time saying what they mean - and you having a hard time saying what you mean - ahaha - also, I tend to see things negative some days - but I am glad you clarified. I think too often when we post, we forget that people read it and some are influenced by what they read - so if someone got the wrong impression...he bought these tricks and it working professionally...we may be misleading a few. That being said - your reply was great.

However - I will still reply with a question - what do you feel the show is missing effect wise. I still feel the question is too broad - if you want real answers - let's focus the question. What do you feel the show is missing or you want to replace - what type of effects - cold reading, prediction, metal bend, mind reading? This may allow some people to direct you more efficiently.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
When I worked in the restaurant world, four strong and simple effects I did were:

Jokers Wild - (Penguin id- it need a new routine that is a little more engaging, but even if you just used that routine, it is a short, flashy effect, that demonstrates skill, involves two-three spectators, and quickly establishes your credibility as a magician.

The almighty TT. - I always had a silk appear and vainish. Simple, but powerful to laymen, and like the above trick, flashy, and establishes that you are good at what you do. -That and you can do a bazillion other things with a TT (Well, maybe not a bazillion...)

Sponge balls - I personally feel, it is such a wise thing to carry a couple of sponge balls with you as a restaurant worker. If you are working in a place that does not have many families, then they are perfect to bring out-kids love them. That said, adults go nuts over them! Some of the loudest reactions I get are from sponge balls (I think simply because they seem to 'jump' out of their hand - that makes people excited;) ). And they are fun to perform as a magician.

One more that I always did was a prediction effect that I came up with, where I dealt card onto the table and the spectator said stop anywhere. The card they stop at matches the prediction exactly. I just saw that Jay Sankey has what looks like the EXACT same trick on his site - He calls it Stop Sign, and it looks like hes got it free on his site-crazy! I do the same idea, but with cards (as for the prediction, I just write it down, or I will use the 'matching' card from the deck (same color and value but opposite suit). - I like this effect because it is a little bit of easy mentalism, and now I combine it with a version I created where they then repeat the effect, but they shuffle first, they deal out the cards, and they turn the card over- I never touch the deck. The prediction is in an envelope and is a card from another deck - the spectator can even open the envelope. It makes for a nice routine, and works every time.

;)
justin

Apr 27, 2008
My efficiency to type what I try to say is lacking to say the least, but I am glad we got everything cleared up. Liquid Metal is the only metal bending I do and I am going to stick with that for a little while. I guess, anything where suggestion/mindreading effects take place is what I am looking for. So basically a mindreading effect would be great. I am trying to make this broad enough for alot of ideas but if anymore clarification is needed then I will if need be.

Thanks

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
For exciting table hopping mental effects, I find effects that imply mental control over other factors work well- Water to ice, control the flow of water, PK or TK effects, etc.
I'm sure you get my point.

CL

Apr 27, 2008
Man it really is tough to not only get the presentation and suggestive reasoning for each trick, but also to make sure you don't get caught doing the stupid stuff like a simple peek or something. Anyway yeah I will check that out for sure and I finally read all of my 3510 book and people complained alot about the proofreading and stuff but I guess for me I just know the word from my reading techniques at my elementary school. Touching on Hoy has so many different effects with the method and I performed it for a few people at my house the other day and they were blow away, then did the bubble burst and were freaked out even more. LUKE JERMAY is a beast. Thanks again everybody.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results