The Paper Engine?

Dec 5, 2007
Hello!

I was thinking about getting Aaron Fishers book the paper engine because i have heard so many good things about it, but i was wondering how good are the explanations in the book? Because i have heard that allot of people have had a hard time to understand how to do the gravity half pass in the book.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Hello!

I was thinking about getting Aaron Fishers book the paper engine because i have heard so many good things about it, but i was wondering how good are the explanations in the book? Because i have heard that allot of people have had a hard time to understand how to do the gravity half pass in the book.

hello, the reason people sometimes find it hard to understand i believe is because the material in the book is not easy. Paper engine is a more advanced book and it takes a lot of work to get the moves down. If your willing to put in the work however it is invaluable. The explanations are done well and accompanied by several pictures to illustrate what he means. While i dont find myself using the tricks themselves from the book that often the sleights taught within the book are priceless and i use them all the time. i would def pick the book up if your serious about taking your magic to the next level

Dec 5, 2007
Thank you :)

Im mostly getting it to learn the half pass. Is there much theory in the book? I think someone said something about that but i dont remember.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
it is a great book indeed! Imagine, I can't speak english that well And I am understanding it! the gravity half pass is phenomenal and there are like 15 slieghts in the book (very usefull ones by the way) it has some great tricks, but it sure requires some practice...

GET IT NOW!:D

Dec 5, 2007
Thank you guys :) Just order the book :)

When you say it will take ALLOT of practice? what do you mean with ALLOT?

I heard allot of people telling me what it would take a year for me to learn the classic pass, but i got it down in about a month, but i did it for like 8 hours a day, lol. And im a really really crappy card magician.

guy

Sep 1, 2007
tampa fl
www.myspace.com
Thank you guys :) Just order the book :)

When you say it will take ALLOT of practice? what do you mean with ALLOT?

I heard allot of people telling me what it would take a year for me to learn the classic pass, but i got it down in about a month, but i did it for like 8 hours a day, lol. And im a really really crappy card magician.

you gotta remember that everyone is different. the first trick i ever learned was, in fact, the pass. after seeing the owner of the local magic shop do it here in tampa i was amazed. i asked him how long it would take to learn such a move and he told me it can take months and sometimes they still cant perform it right. well, i bought THE PASS by Randy wakeman(i think thats his name) and Ninja 1 off E. i busted my a$$ learning it and picked up on how to execute it properly in a week.....and now im a pass nut (i gotta learn them all). to some it comes natually and others just have to work there hands off. i can pull off some flawless sleights but my flourishing is kinda crappy(it took me a month or two just to pull off the basic revolution and boy did it look terrible). so dont get discuraged. even if your good just keep practicing. and because of your post, im now ordering the book to learn the gravity half pass.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
well, how hard is it???

well, the hard thing in the book (in my opinion) is to get the moves smooth...

For example, I understood the mechanics of the gravity half pass in an hour of being pracicing it... the hard thing is to get it smoothly... the same with a lot of moves, there are going to be times in the tricks where you have to execute like 4 sleights in a "combo" right in front your spectator eyes, that's where the patter and the suggestions that aaron gives you, came in.....

You will definetly get it down believe me.... this books is the next step for any hard working sleight of hand artist...
:D

Hope this helps

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hmm. How hard is it? I've spent about 4 months on my Gravity Half-Pass (One of the videos in my YouTube account features it, though that was a while ago). Do I have the motions down? Definitely, and I can execute it cleanly every time. Is it perfect? No, I suspect I will still need to continue performing it to get better used to the motions (though it looks perfectly smooth and clean to laymen). Of course it also depends on what you define as getting something down.

And yeah, there's theory in it. With regards to the explanations, there are many subtle details, it's one of those things where if you read it three times to get the motions down, you'll discover a new nuance each time until you get it right. Not to say that the teaching is bad, it's not at all - but there's just a lot of info packed into it, and it's hard to take in simultaneously.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I personally think the Clipshift is easier than the GHP but that was a DVD, not a book. It is easier to learn from a DVD, not to mention the motivational aspect of seeing Chad performing for people.

Both moves require a lot of work to look decent to a crowd.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
IMO - Clipshift is a harder move, but GHP will take longer than Clipshift to get perfect. Simply because there are more mechanics in the GHP - although the Clipshift has the steepest learning curve.

BlakeVogt

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2008
Vegas
I own Paper Engine and absolutely love it. This response is more directed towards your first question of its overall content. I am personally not a pass guy at all. I am, however, very much into flourishes. I have just found that knowing the classic pass and having the appropriate audience control at the appropriate time is more beneficial than knowing every pass out there, but thats my opinion. I do use a few of the routines in the book and have used others to streamline my own effects. Thats the beauty in reading these explanations instead of seeing them. You have the ability to create an imagine in your mind of what it should look like. Overall, great book, great illustrations, and very applicable.

Sep 2, 2007
Gravity half pass is what the book is basically famous for.

if you like card magic, get this book, it's wonderful. Great tricks and great instruction all from a master.

Mind you, the tricks are pretty difficult and it may take a couple months to even get the gravity half pass down, but it's all worth it.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I own Paper Engine and absolutely love it. This response is more directed towards your first question of its overall content. I am personally not a pass guy at all. I am, however, very much into flourishes. I have just found that knowing the classic pass and having the appropriate audience control at the appropriate time is more beneficial than knowing every pass out there, but thats my opinion. I do use a few of the routines in the book and have used others to streamline my own effects. Thats the beauty in reading these explanations instead of seeing them. You have the ability to create an imagine in your mind of what it should look like. Overall, great book, great illustrations, and very applicable.

I can't agree more with this man, I thinked it a lot before buying this, because I mostly only have dvd's but I do have to agree with you about the tricks, the thing about imaginate them, makes the creativity to flow better on you, for example I liked a lot the "omen" routine in the book, but since I am kinda of a church guy, I had to modify the patter to something I could use and it is working wonders for me....

Great book.

Nov 4, 2008
Well, even now if you sign up for email notifications, he still gives you tips on how to do his tricks, an he is actually contactable, so if you have any questions, you could always email him. (Just don't email him every 2 minutes, he'll get annoyed lol)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results