Riot 1-on-1 by Dan Hauss

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
So every once in a while I find something really great that I feel the need to write a review on.

The first thing I have to say is that Dan Hauss is simply a genius. I could never come up with half the things he's come up with.

Quality:

So this 1 on 1 had a lot of hype since they said it was going to be as long as a normal production DVD. This is 27 minutes of awesomeness. It's broken up into several different sections that teach certain steps. The quality is nothing to question. We all know that T11 is going to have great quality.

Teaching:

The teaching on this is superb. He teaches you everything you need to know to perform this. There are a few materials you need to construct the gimmick but I guarantee 95% of you have these things. The teaching format is very similar to TnR. I actually find this effect to be a cross between TnR and Panic. A detailed gimmick construction description followed by 2 performance variations.

Difficulty:

The only thing difficult about this should be showmanship. If you are a good presenter, no one will suspect any kind of gimmick. That's the only thing you need to worry about. The gimmick is very practical and is very easy to use. (It's easy to construct as well). The moves involved are not difficult at all.

Final thoughts:

I'll be honest, knowing Dan Hauss' other effects I thought I was going to have to use some toothpicks, baby powder, and that white stick you use for FunDip to perform this effect. I was pleased by the practicality of the effect. This to me is a very fair price for the quality. $15 for 27 minutes of great teaching for a great effect. I can definitely see myself performing this in the future.

So overall it's a great choice. T11 outdid themselves with this. I recommend this to everyone.

peace,

-Kevin

P.S. Sorry if this is a little sloppy, it is 1:12 AM after all...

Sep 1, 2007
Say I'm performing with a regular deck of cards. Do I need to do a deck switch, or bring in the gimmick somehow?

And are you set to go once you have the gimmick? No tedious set up?

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
'// sleight of hand training ::' - Are you sure?
'sleight of hand and card flourishing are skills that are learned through hours of practice' - Or build a gimmick??..
'With individual training videos focusing on individual sleight of hand techniques' - SOH huh?
'you'll find something here that will take your skills to the next level.' - In gimmick creation?..

Webby

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Well if it is anything like TnR then I think I'll stay away from this also. I don't want to buy a card trick that is only practical for making youtube videos! I wish someone would answer some questions about this. Is it impromptu? Is the gimmick bulky? Do you need to do a deck switch to go into other tricks? Is the deck examinable right afterwards?

Mar 29, 2008
Say I'm performing with a regular deck of cards. Do I need to do a deck switch, or bring in the gimmick somehow?

And are you set to go once you have the gimmick? No tedious set up?

no deck switch, although if you do an effect beforer hand the gimmick needs to be brought in, but it is very easy. You are good to go once the gimmick is made.

how are the angels on this one?

Not bad, though it is ment to be performed 1 on 1 or to a small group.

Can I do a regular ACR then end the routine with Riot? :)

Yes.

Well if it is anything like TnR then I think I'll stay away from this also. I don't want to buy a card trick that is only practical for making youtube videos! I wish someone would answer some questions about this. Is it impromptu? No, it requires a gimmick

Is the gimmick bulky? Nope

Do you need to do a deck switch to go into other tricks? Nope, although you will need to ditch the gimmick, which should be easy, dan explains this in the video.[/b]

Is the deck examinable right afterwards? No

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I think the angles are good, you could not do it surrounded but why would you? You have to be infront if you to see the effect. As long as the spectators are infront of you, you could do it for as many spectators as you want.

Do you end totally clean, and can everything be examinable? No, Dan Hauss does not teach you how to do that, but that does not mean that you cant. I came up with a great pattern/Presentation for the effect which ends you totally clean and you can give everything out. Just be creative.

Sep 1, 2007
England
I think the basic idea behind Riot is pretty decent, however, there are a couple of things about it that i don't really like. For starters, with the tiniest alteration to the gimmick, clean-up can be made far easier and more convincing. In addition to that, some of the suggested routine makes very little sense in terms of what the spectator sees. Particularly the bit with the sharpie, you'll know what I mean if you hve it.

I don't know really, essentially this is a good idea, that's been routined reasonably poorly.

Tom

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the basic idea behind Riot is pretty decent, however, there are a couple of things about it that i don't really like. For starters, with the tiniest alteration to the gimmick, clean-up can be made far easier and more convincing. In addition to that, some of the suggested routine makes very little sense in terms of what the spectator sees. Particularly the bit with the sharpie, you'll know what I mean if you hve it.

I don't know really, essentially this is a good idea, that's been routined reasonably poorly.

Tom

Yes, I'm also not quite fond of the method of having them sign the card. If you want it signed just have them do it normally.

-Kevin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results