A different take on RIOT

Sep 1, 2007
England
Hey Guys,

I know there have already been two reviews of this, maybe even more by the time I finish or some I didn't notice, but they both said more or less the same thing, and that was something I didn't quite agree with. I'm offering my point of view on this effect which you might like to take into account before you go ahead and buy it. So in no particular order, here's my opinion on the various aspects of the DVD.

The Teaching.
Honestly I have no problems with this, everything is explained well and in post production little textboxes and other things have been added to make everything extra clear. Everything is gone over in detail, sometimes too much detail! He even shows you how to use a glue stick. That's how indepth this thing is, you will not have trouble learning from this.

The Effect.
Problem is, will you want to learn everything exactly as it is taught? I probably wouldn't as though the rise looks wonderful and the basic idea is very good, the way it has been routined is not. The card gets signed on the front and back for example and in between the signatures you, for no apparent reason, put the sharpie away and take it out again. It's stuff like this that just makes the handling seem a little unfinished.

The Gimmick.
This is clever, I will not at any point try to deny that, though what does bother me is that with a slight, and fairly obvious (I thought) modification it can be made better in a way that will greatly aid clean-up. However you make it though, it is very easy to make, and I would be surprised if you didn't already have everything you need to make this at home. It's also very easy to use, so you don't need to worry about it failing you in performance. Like the routine though, it just seems a little unpolished.

Other
There was no performance! The download starts with a kind of montage which is more or less the preview video (I think possibly exactly the same) then you go more or less straight into the gimmick construction, later on when the routine is taught, you're seeing everything for the first time as you go along, so at no point does Dan show you the timing or anything like that, how he might handle this when performing to a real spectator.

All in all, I have to say, I like the idea behind RIOT, but it seems unfinished. If someone said to me that Dan had only come of with this fairly recently I would not be at all surprised. I don't think it's not worth the $15. But I do think it's only just about worth it. If the gimmick and handling was a little better thought out and there was a performance video included then I would say this is an absolute must have.

Comparisons with Similar Effects
Fallen - Similar visuals to fallen, though riot has somewhat better angles, or rather more natural angles, the final rise, when it becomes the top card is a lot more visual aswell. Fallen has the nice bonus that it is impromptu
Shifty - Shifty obviously has a different kind of rise, rather than rising steadily it jumps up through the pack in blocks of cards. Again, the final rise in riot is a lot better looking than the final rise in shifty. Also, everything I just said about shifty applies to Shigeo Futagawa's Elevator Card, since they are fairly similar.
S. W. Elevator - This is much harder than RIOT, and also not really as visual, unless you are really really good at it. Once again the final rise is not as good as riot.
Raise Rise - This beats Riot in all ways I'm afraid, more visual, ungimmicked, one handed! It even has an extra kicker at the end. The only problem is I don't think anyone can actually do it so.... yeah, riot might be the better option...

So summed up, it's pretty decent, but it seems unfinished and could have been better.

Tom

Sep 1, 2007
California
great review, and I agree with pretty much everything you said. Thanks for posting the Comparisons at the bottom, which will really give other magicians a wide variety of stuff to look at and compare with!

Jun 8, 2008
I got to work more with it, I think its a brilliant little trick, but to throw in a routine is causing me issues.

Sep 1, 2007
England
does the gimmick make the deck in question a "one trick pony"?

Not really. The gimmick is small enough to palm off or cop or whatever and you don't have to attach it to the deck or anything like that. It's nothing like the invisible deck where once it's set up you pretty much can't do anything else. I reckon with some careful routining you could perform quite a few effects with the gimmick in the deck and nobody would be the wiser.

Despite being gimmicked, it is still very practical.

Tom

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I think the method and gimmick is really great, but i dont understand why he does the handeling he does when you simply could take out the sharpie and have them sign the card and doing the thing you need to do at the same time and your done.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Thank you for this review, it's obvious you've put a lot of thought into this, and there are some interesting points.

Re: you comparison to raise rise - I've only ever seen one person who could perform it live, and that looked absolutely ridiculous, would prefer that over Riot as performed in the preview video easily.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Raise Rise is a unique elevator move/effect found on Ray Kosby's Impossible Card Magic DVD.

Him and one person I've met are the only two people I've ever seen do it well (and only the latter live - and wow it looks good done well).

Here's an example - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uaJos_Sn7Rc

imo it's an average performance, could still be a lot better.

Having said that - it's also deathly difficult to perform.

Sep 1, 2007
England
If I remember correctly, it's a download, not a DVD.

I don't know exactly what you mean by this, but if you are trying to suggest that because it's a download instead of a DVD Theory 11 is allowed to just release anything they like, good or bad, then I feel sorry for you.

I'm sorry, but if they are going to release anything, whatever medium it's in, then I think the paying customer should be allowed to be sure that it will be of a certain standard, not something rushed onto the market to make a quick buck.

Tom

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Raise rise IMO, is one of the hardest moves in magic to get down smoothly, because the move itself is extremely sensitive. To be able to perform raise rise out the in the streets and people burning your hands, is something very few can do.

I also have seen raise rise done live, along with praetoritevong, and both of us was blown away.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey Guys,

I know there have already been two reviews of this, maybe even more by the time I finish or some I didn't notice, but they both said more or less the same thing, and that was something I didn't quite agree with. I'm offering my point of view on this effect which you might like to take into account before you go ahead and buy it. So in no particular order, here's my opinion on the various aspects of the DVD.

The Teaching.
Honestly I have no problems with this, everything is explained well and in post production little textboxes and other things have been added to make everything extra clear. Everything is gone over in detail, sometimes too much detail! He even shows you how to use a glue stick. That's how indepth this thing is, you will not have trouble learning from this.

The Effect.
Problem is, will you want to learn everything exactly as it is taught? I probably wouldn't as though the rise looks wonderful and the basic idea is very good, the way it has been routined is not. The card gets signed on the front and back for example and in between the signatures you, for no apparent reason, put the sharpie away and take it out again. It's stuff like this that just makes the handling seem a little unfinished.

The Gimmick.
This is clever, I will not at any point try to deny that, though what does bother me is that with a slight, and fairly obvious (I thought) modification it can be made better in a way that will greatly aid clean-up. However you make it though, it is very easy to make, and I would be surprised if you didn't already have everything you need to make this at home. It's also very easy to use, so you don't need to worry about it failing you in performance. Like the routine though, it just seems a little unpolished.

Other
There was no performance! The download starts with a kind of montage which is more or less the preview video (I think possibly exactly the same) then you go more or less straight into the gimmick construction, later on when the routine is taught, you're seeing everything for the first time as you go along, so at no point does Dan show you the timing or anything like that, how he might handle this when performing to a real spectator.

All in all, I have to say, I like the idea behind RIOT, but it seems unfinished. If someone said to me that Dan had only come of with this fairly recently I would not be at all surprised. I don't think it's not worth the $15. But I do think it's only just about worth it. If the gimmick and handling was a little better thought out and there was a performance video included then I would say this is an absolute must have.

Comparisons with Similar Effects
Fallen - Similar visuals to fallen, though riot has somewhat better angles, or rather more natural angles, the final rise, when it becomes the top card is a lot more visual aswell. Fallen has the nice bonus that it is impromptu
Shifty - Shifty obviously has a different kind of rise, rather than rising steadily it jumps up through the pack in blocks of cards. Again, the final rise in riot is a lot better looking than the final rise in shifty. Also, everything I just said about shifty applies to Shigeo Futagawa's Elevator Card, since they are fairly similar.
S. W. Elevator - This is much harder than RIOT, and also not really as visual, unless you are really really good at it. Once again the final rise is not as good as riot.
Raise Rise - This beats Riot in all ways I'm afraid, more visual, ungimmicked, one handed! It even has an extra kicker at the end. The only problem is I don't think anyone can actually do it so.... yeah, riot might be the better option...

So summed up, it's pretty decent, but it seems unfinished and could have been better.

Tom

I'll probably pick this up, as I'm a total freak for ambitious riser's!

Thanks for the review dude.

As for Raise Rise, I know of a couple dude's who can do it, Alain Nu does it VERY well, and Chad Long does it amazingly. He also executes a flawless, invisible SWE shift.

CL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results