Geek Magic

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Hey guys. Most people know that Swami / Mantra is a good source for bizarre stunts and geek magic, and that Thomas Medina put out a DVD on geek magic. But what else is there for someone looking for something weird, visual, and possibly a bit icky?

To compare to a real-world example, I think Wounded by Robert Smith fits the above criteria. As does Paul Vigil / Paul Harris' Ladybug.

So does anyone know of any other source for geek magic, or just general weirdness? Tricks, books, whatever?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well, for weird visuals, I would suggest the underground hit NipSlip by the living legend that is Dee Christopher, or the booklet FreezerBurn:the incoroporation of ice in magic by the brilliantly talented and devilishly handsome Chris Lafferty.

Or look into Sean Fields work.

CL

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Geek Magic.
Well...
Depends on how much you know about it.
Tomas Medina's Geek Magic: Pretty good stuff. Covers the basics and some stuff you havent seen before. Balloon Swallowing, Razor Blade eating, Mint through eye, etc. The teaching is pretty good but Geek magic is more of a nack sometimes.

Robert Smith's Wounded: Do not get this. Not the best of DVDs. You get what you want. You are able to do the effects you see on the demo. There are a lot of cons. 1. You needa buy a few things which normal people dont really buy. 2. Some methods require your own real blood. 3. If method not done properly and you dont follow instructions exactly, possiblity of getting a disease is probable. 4. Lighting is a small issue 5. Some effects require luck and you can not time it.

Paul Harris' Lady Bug: Not a bad effect. Comes with gimmick and what not. You needa buy your own lady bug. For me, thats a hassle, but people may not mind. I dont find this effect as freaky. Some intelligent people may get a notion of how it is done.

Flesh Wound (i forgot the creator): A very visual and gruesome effect. You cut your arm, you peel the skin, you show the wound, you rub it and it heals. Pretty pricey, but kind of worth it. Depends on what you like. Like every other trick, this has some distance and lighting issues, but nothing a little experience wont help.

Harry Anderson's Needle Through Arm: very nice effect. Comes with a needle which squirts out blood. Very nice props and effect. A bit expensive but I find it worth it. Lighting and distance is a problem, but all tricks have issues.

Sean Fields Saw: Very interesting effect. Unique. Just like Needle Through Arm, lighting and distance may be a problem, but its worth a try.

Dan Sperry's Worms: Great effect. Never seen anything like it. Very fun to do. Great reactions. Never boring.

Andrew Mayne's Ghost Vision: Not that special of an effect. Simple method, works easily. But if you present it right, this can kill.

Knife Through Arm (gimmick): a great prop for stage or parlour or close up workers. This allows you to take a butchers knife and chop your arm, take it back out and heal. You can see this performed by David Stone or The Amazing Jonathan. A little pricey but why not. haha

Ben Seidman's IVanish: Pretty normal stuff. Not that weird. Method is pretty... lame. Unique, but lame. I wouldnt recommend it.

For more weird magic and stunts, check out Brian Brushwood, who focuses on this. He has a book on fire eating and stunts. The Amazing Jonathan has a few weird gags and tricks. The aforementioned magicians also have material worth checking out.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Robert Smith's Wounded: Do not get this. Not the best of DVDs. You get what you want. You are able to do the effects you see on the demo. There are a lot of cons. 1. You needa buy a few things which normal people dont really buy. 2. Some methods require your own real blood. 3. If method not done properly and you dont follow instructions exactly, possiblity of getting a disease is probable. 4. Lighting is a small issue 5. Some effects require luck and you can not time it.

Don't listen to this, wounded is great. He gives you a load of methods which can be combined with each other. No not all are practical in all situations. If you buy the kit that they sell you get all the stuff so no problem. Own blood? who cares? The fact that it is your own blood makes it more realistic. No you will not get a disease, you never even bought the thing to get the blood obviously. The item that enters your skin get locked into a canister after the gimmick uses it.
I do not understand your 4 and 5 though. They jsut don't make sense to me.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Pft. All that's been listed here is "popular" geek magic.

Here's a Brad Henderson post on this a while back:

I have Swami Mantra. In fact, I gave a copy to a friend who has used several of the ideas in it to become one of the top college performers in the world. We tried several of the items together. They are dangerous and you could get hurt. So, knowing that you like this stuff, be careful.

The problem with a lot of the "Bizarre magic" stuff is that it is so poorly done. Most bizarre magic has never been performed, and the few pieces that have been, are awful. I was very much involved in the Bizarre movement when it regained it's popularity in the 90s. I held the first Bizarre magic event at a mainstream convention, which eventually became a regular and popular event. I was a Mystery Schooler and wrote a bit on the subject for the then snail mail based Shadow Network.

And even though I loved so much of it, I can tell you most of it is unperformable.

However, there are some great ideas in that literature, and if you are willing to work on them, they could be made commercially/dramatically viable.

So, where should you look:

Probably the best source for lots of general weirdness is the Invocation magazines. Originals can be found, but the entire series has been reprinted by Richard Kaufman. You'll find seance stuff, mindreading, geek material, everything.

For the king of the weird, Tony "Doc" Shiels is your man. He'll make your head spin. One of magic's great "characters." But Tony lives the part. Can you convince reporters you raised sea serpents from Britain's waterways in order to have a meeting?

For a good into text to the Bizarre, check out Burger's Strange Ceremonies. It's definitely has his personal slant to the topic, but there is a lot of material about other performers and that can give you a path to follow.

I once published a beginner's bibliography for Bizarre. If I can find it, I'll post it. Also, for my symposium, Craig Snader put together a fairly comprehensive bibliography. If you want bizarre books, that's where to look.

Brad

If you want more information, he's the guy to send a message to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Shock F/x by andrew mayne has some good stuff in it. Its also a pretty good bargain. If you have seen Wayne's Unreal footage he got the pen through cheek from this i think.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Don't listen to this, wounded is great. He gives you a load of methods which can be combined with each other. No not all are practical in all situations. If you buy the kit that they sell you get all the stuff so no problem. Own blood? who cares? The fact that it is your own blood makes it more realistic. No you will not get a disease, you never even bought the thing to get the blood obviously. The item that enters your skin get locked into a canister after the gimmick uses it.
I do not understand your 4 and 5 though. They jsut don't make sense to me.

It is true that there are many methods taught on this DVD, but i dont find it practical. You can buy the kit where you get the stuff you need, but I dont see the point in pricking yourself everytime you perform this. Sooner or later, something bad is going to happen. The reason I buy these effects is so that i am able to get the effect of blood without actually cutting myself. If theres an opening, theres always a way for germs to get in. If your tool gets contaminated, you can get germs as well. He even says it himself in the DVD. Lighting and angle is a problem in some cases as you may have some... gimmicks and such which achieve the effect. If people are 5 inches away from your bleeding hand in a few of the affects, they will surely see how its done. The luck and timing part is to the effect of crying blood. It is not something you can time. You can't tell a story and cry exactly at the exact moment you say something. Its purely luck as to when you actually "bleed".

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
It is true that there are many methods taught on this DVD, but i dont find it practical. You can buy the kit where you get the stuff you need, but I dont see the point in pricking yourself everytime you perform this. Sooner or later, something bad is going to happen. The reason I buy these effects is so that i am able to get the effect of blood without actually cutting myself. If theres an opening, theres always a way for germs to get in. If your tool gets contaminated, you can get germs as well. He even says it himself in the DVD. Lighting and angle is a problem in some cases as you may have some... gimmicks and such which achieve the effect. If people are 5 inches away from your bleeding hand in a few of the affects, they will surely see how its done. The luck and timing part is to the effect of crying blood. It is not something you can time. You can't tell a story and cry exactly at the exact moment you say something. Its purely luck as to when you actually "bleed".

The people who use the gimmick regularly don't get sick from it. It is safe and this discussion will either lead to exposure, or turning people away from wounded because of it.

I think the problem is that you were expecting a magical answer to the problem. If you actually perform this, the multiple methods alllow you to adapt to where you are performing.

The bleeding tears is more of a complementing effect to the others on the dvd.
And why would someone be 5 inches from your hand? smelling it? There are issues with that version, but that is why there are other methods.....

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I wasn't going to chime in on this because anyone that knows me already knows my feelings on the set, but I just wanna sayy...

Other than effects that I have created myself, or effects that I have had a hand in the production or development of, I perform about four or five effects regularly on a professional basis that are the creations of somebody else.

I wanted my repertoire to be very original, and very 'ME', and so I set out crafting a set of effects that I had created that accurately exemplify my persona. I kept a couple of pieces by others (stigmata, for instance), but for the most part, It's all my own stuff, or my own handling of a friend or aquantance's effect.

Then Bob sent me Stigmatisms. And I was hooked on magically bleeding. Seriously, I mean, sure, the effects here can't be performed in absolutely any context (Hippity hop bloodbath bunnies, anyone?) and the methods ARE very controversial, but c'mon... Whats cooler than crying tears, apparently due to the adverse effects a pulse stop can have on your system? I dunnoo guyss...

Just my opinion.

CL

Stigmatisms/Wounded is simply fantastic! The method(s) taught to acheive the stigmata effects are varied, but are all quite practical in real world situations. My personal favorite is the Tears of Blood. Utterly fantastic! Incredibly practical, and SAFE, especially in comparision to similar effects (Nefesch's Blood springs to mind).

Timing on the tears is not, repeat, NOT a crapshoot as has been alluded to here. With just a few hours of practice, I was able to control when the tears would come with substantial accuracy.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is mine. Stigmatisms/Wounded is good. Too good, in fact, to be commercially available. This is one of those effects I would have preferred remained 'underground'.

Sean

P.S. - To answer the OP's question: While there are many books on the subject of bizarre/geek magic, the 'bible' as it were remains Swami & Mantra. Mind, Myth, & Magick is also a fantastic reference. I have found material in some older, more obscure books, such as Secrets of Magic by Walter B. Gibson. As is the case with so much of this material, you have to look deeper than the effect that is presented, and look at the modus behind it, and altering the effect to better reflect todays audiences, and yourself as a performer.

Sean

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
The people who use the gimmick regularly don't get sick from it. It is safe and this discussion will either lead to exposure, or turning people away from wounded because of it.

I think the problem is that you were expecting a magical answer to the problem. If you actually perform this, the multiple methods alllow you to adapt to where you are performing.

The bleeding tears is more of a complementing effect to the others on the dvd.
And why would someone be 5 inches from your hand? smelling it? There are issues with that version, but that is why there are other methods.....

Indeed
then that can be said for any trick.
Then not a single trick would be bad.
im just pointing out what i think of Wounded, that it is not as practical, not really a effect if youre gonna bleed, and not reusable gimmick wise

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
You know what?

I still don't know why it's called Geek magic. If anything - it's the complete opposite. :confused:

GW

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results