I have been contacted by "Britain's Got Talent".

I am shocked that yesterday I was called by an agency asking if I would like to be a part of "Britain's Got Talent", they left me a message on my answer phone as I was at work, so I am going to call them back today.

Unfortunately I have not got any time to take part in this one, as I am in my final year at university, plus I have not got an act to show on stage at the moment.

I want to find as much info as possible about it and get all the information sent through the post, and also get all the numbers, and show that I am interested for the one after when I have finished university.

I am surprised they called me, as you normally apply, and they had mentioned some performances I have done which they have seen. So I am shocked!

How would the best way of turning this down, and showing that I am happy to do the next one?

Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
First of all, Congratulations on being contacted! That's a defininate confidence booster if ever you needed one.
In your letter state your situation kindly -
"I am regretful to inform I am currently unavailable due to Tertiary education commitments but would be more than happy to perform in the future."
Add personal info, promotional material, business cards, etc. to show them that you are still very interested.
Once again, congrats.

~Rev

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I'll start by saying Congrats! It would be great to see you perform for them on television, i'd more then enjoy watching it :)

I on the condition that it wouldn't be televised.

D.

Why not, Dee? Do you want to maintain the sense of 'undergroundedness'? Or is ther another reason?

GW

CalvinTan

Elite Member
Congrats to those that were contacted, but a bit of advice...

I don't know about the UK version of the show, but the US version (America's Got Talent) was notorious for making magicians look bad. There was an article interviewing this year's magicians in either Magic or Genii. I'm not sure which one. I would do some research and talk to magicians that have been on that show in the past to get a better idea!

I could be totally wrong so don't let this discourage you!!

-Calvin

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Yeah, In response to both of the above, I wanted to check it out before committing to anything - It's a very mainstream show also, so I'm not sure whether someone like myself would be what they are looking for.

I know a couple of people that have been on the show, some did well, some didn't. It's a tough call as it's got a 15m viewer-ship, so either you look great in front of tons of people or you don't.

Then again, mentalism is all about risk isn't it ;)

D.

Sep 1, 2007
If you want to enter Britains Got Talent without being televised, you haven't got very good prospects have you, seen as from the quarter finals onwards are all televised.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
No, Maybe I wasn't clear - Of course the auditionary rounds will be televised, the primary meeting I have set up with the producers is not.

As mentioned, I wanted to check out how they did things before getting involved as I'm still unsure as whether I'd want to enter or not.

D.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I think it just doesn't work on a show like that. I remember seeing Flash perform Paul Daniels' Chop Cup routine and he got stopped half way through because the judges have never heard of politeness and just didn't like it. I think a big stage act is necessary rather than close up in a venue like that.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
You're right - I wouldn't dream of doing close up magic on a show like that - You've got an auditorium full of people to entertain.

Then again, Uri gets up in front of huge crowds and bends a spoon...But not everyone can pull that off!:)

I have a 40 minute stage mentalism act that I perform, so I'm used to bigger crowds, though it'd be an interesting challenge to make something be as prominent and exciting to watch to the viewers at home as it is to see live. That's the real challenge!

D.

congrats, this is a great oppotunity u don't wanna missed it. As a performer and a magic lover, u should do as much as possible; not just to make a reputation of your self, not just to have an experience, but mainly to have fun while u do it.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Brilliant, well done on getting contacted.
Personally, I would just explain the situation, tell them you're very sorry and would be more than happy for future shows; just tell them you have other more important things on at the moment.
Well done again, sounds immense.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I have a 40 minute stage mentalism act that I perform, D.

UI! You might want to shorten it down a little, because if the Judges are anythign like If seen, They'll interupt you after 15 minutes!

Lennart Green can pull it off after TED.

Yes, but Lennart Green had a massive screen focuse don him, and at Britain's got talent, the acts are so close together I don't think they have time to install one between acts...;)

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I am shocked that yesterday I was called by an agency asking if I would like to be a part of "Britain's Got Talent", they left me a message on my answer phone as I was at work, so I am going to call them back today.

Unfortunately I have not got any time to take part in this one, as I am in my final year at university, plus I have not got an act to show on stage at the moment.

I want to find as much info as possible about it and get all the information sent through the post, and also get all the numbers, and show that I am interested for the one after when I have finished university.

I am surprised they called me, as you normally apply, and they had mentioned some performances I have done which they have seen. So I am shocked!

How would the best way of turning this down, and showing that I am happy to do the next one?

Yeahh, they contacted me too!,
but then I said, "Guys, I live in the U.S."
*click*

;)
CONGRATS STEVE!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results