I'd like a trick that fits this criteria...

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Hey guys,

I'm doing a presentation about the art of magic soon, and I was looking for a trick to perform at the end. I've considered many different ones over the past 2 months, but I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I'm looking for an effect that's;

• Suitable for about room of about 25 people
  • Almost self-working, the trick not working is the last thing I want to happen
  • Maybe mentalism related?
  • Examinable at the end
  • Fairly easy on the angles
  • And, of course, pretty hard-hitting

I really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks very much,

-Sam H

Oct 16, 2007
Banachek's dvds are chock full of such effects. One of my favorite (because there's nothing other than your brain needed) effects was always "The Ring Of Truth". I usually go into a bit about how "in life, you'll come across liars and you'll come across people who, more often than not, tell the truth. Magic is fun and entertaining and all but how is it useful? When does it become practical? Mentalism is a subject that I've always been interested in as it would have practical uses in everyday life. Take this for example". Or something along those lines.

Feel free to shoot me a pm or im me on aim: Davejusttyped

always,
Dave

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Emogician,

Power word:Fall from papercrane meets all those stipulations. I got it yesterday and honestly I think it would be great for your situation. I'll be putting a thorough review up sometime this evening hopefully.

You should at least take a look at the trailer to see what you think.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
You've heard it before and you'll hear it again, I expect. Angle Zero fits all of those quite nicely (except maybe the mentalism...still, it's all in the patter) and is a lovely effect to play around with. I'd go with that if I were you.
Alternatively, forcing a card and then revealing a prediction pinned on the wall in an envelope on the other side of the room could play nice. In fact, why not string these together. Make the corner disappear and play it off as a trick by itself. Force a card. Show an envelope on the other side of the room. Somebody opens it. Inside is a prediction for whatever card you forced...and the corner.
I dunno, just play around with ideas. But I think that would be your best bet.

Feb 14, 2008
I would recommend the 7 Deceptions by darren brown, particularly the 7th deception. It is easy to do and will leave the audience in awe. In the effect you are able to remove a spectators phobia, and the spectator is not a plant. this is a wonderful psychological effect.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I would recommend the 7 Deceptions by darren brown, particularly the 7th deception. It is easy to do and will leave the audience in awe. In the effect you are able to remove a spectators phobia, and the spectator is not a plant. this is a wonderful psychological effect.

It's Derren Brown. With an E. Seriously, the amount of people that make that mistake is shocking.
Anyway, wasn't 7 Deceptions written by Luke Jermey? It may have contributions by Derren Brown, but Luke Jermey's the name you'll wanna search for when buying this.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
You've heard it before and you'll hear it again, I expect. Angle Zero fits all of those quite nicely (except maybe the mentalism...still, it's all in the patter) and is a lovely effect to play around with. I'd go with that if I were you.
Alternatively, forcing a card and then revealing a prediction pinned on the wall in an envelope on the other side of the room could play nice. In fact, why not string these together. Make the corner disappear and play it off as a trick by itself. Force a card. Show an envelope on the other side of the room. Somebody opens it. Inside is a prediction for whatever card you forced...and the corner.
I dunno, just play around with ideas. But I think that would be your best bet.

Awesome idea actually. May one steal it?

Hmmm...this isn't a stand-alone effect but Sybil the Trick from Totally Out of Control seems to fit the criteria. Its not really mentalistic but it involves a prediction and a semmingly uncontrollable revelation.

It is examinable, easy on the angles, suitable for a large audience and is pretty self-working...it doesn't require sleights but it has a little piece you have to do. Also it requires you to know how to do the Sybil (though it doesn't have to be great...but it'd make it look better).

I've used this effect and it has been seen to be very hard hitting, it includes 3 effects all interwined into one. Finally just incase you were wondering NO ONE will figure it out.

~PaCo

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi Emogician,

Try looking into The Safwan Papers by Bryn Reynolds. There are about 3-4 mentalism routines that play big, require only a little bit of work, that could be suitable for that sort of thing. I've been using a few including a Bank Nite routine and a version of Kolossal Killer (that has virtually no chance of not working as the original did).

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Hmmm...this isn't a stand-alone effect but Sybil the Trick from Totally Out of Control seems to fit the criteria. Its not really mentalistic but it involves a prediction and a semmingly uncontrollable revelation.

It is examinable, easy on the angles, suitable for a large audience and is pretty self-working...it doesn't require sleights but it has a little piece you have to do. Also it requires you to know how to do the Sybil (though it doesn't have to be great...but it'd make it look better).

I've used this effect and it has been seen to be very hard hitting, it includes 3 effects all interwined into one. Finally just incase you were wondering NO ONE will figure it out.

~PaCo

I'll second this one as well. This has recently become one of my favourite tricks. I love it.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Thanks for all your help guys, I've checked out everything suggested.

I borrowed Banachek's Psi Series off a friend for a quick viewing, and I'm now proceeding to buy it - so thanks very much to whoever suggested Banachek's work.

One thing that particularly caught my eye was Pocket Writing.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it workable? Effective? And is there any other place I can learn it too?

Thanks again,

-Sam H

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results