Jason England | Strike Second Deal

Dec 10, 2007
To be honest i didnt really like it. I thought it was pretty obvious what he was doing, and I've seen it done MUCH better by others. I also dont really like the second deal because i dont think that it has nearly the practicality of a bottom deal. I mean normally if you wanna do a gambling demonstration, or just plain cheat, you're going to want to control more than one card to either yourself or your partner. I guess its ok if your on the fly and you just want that one ace, but i still think that bottom dealing is the way to go. Maybe thats just me.

Victor Cruz

liquidsn

Tony Chang / Creator, Be Kind Change, DVR, The Uni
Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
you should see him live then... he is probably just as good as Steve forte.
He is probably the best card handler I have seen when it comes to gambling moves. Hell, he did ESTIMATION center deals that blew my mind.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
I've seen Jason England do the second deal first hand in real life...even as we filmed...I do not think there is ANYONE better than Mr. England at doing the second deal simply because it does NOT get any better than his execution. The previews don't show him doing his "microscopic" pushovers which are honestly INVISIBLE...seeing him do this live blew me away. I specifically left his best off the preview, when you get the download you'll see what I mean when he executes them and you won't believe your eyes. You can even watch him from BEHIND THE SCENES (which is on the 1on1) and it is just as good as front on angles...and that's without neck tying the deck (which is basically slightly tilting your hand toward yourself for a minute cover).

Very few have been doing this move for as long as Jason England has and I can safely bet my life on the fact that it does NOT get any better than this. You have to watch the full video to understand exactly what I mean.

-Andrei Jikh

Aug 31, 2007
To be honest i didnt really like it. I thought it was pretty obvious what he was doing, and I've seen it done MUCH better by others. I also dont really like the second deal because i dont think that it has nearly the practicality of a bottom deal. I mean normally if you wanna do a gambling demonstration, or just plain cheat, you're going to want to control more than one card to either yourself or your partner. I guess its ok if your on the fly and you just want that one ace, but i still think that bottom dealing is the way to go. Maybe thats just me.

Victor Cruz

Ever seen Shade? Yeah... that was a lot of his moves.

Ace

Sep 2, 2007
Wow! Jason England teaching a 1 on 1? He's one of the best out there. Great job T11 guys on getting Jason to do this!

I have Jason's notes on the Second deal. Let me tell you, if anyone knows the Second deal, It's Jason England.

DJDonkeyPuncher I seriously hope your joking?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
ALthogh it looks aweosme devious, I think that the bottom deal taught by Benjamin Earl in Past Midnight is more usefull, as you can deal not only one card to yourself (that you know of) but many.

GW

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
To be honest i didnt really like it. I thought it was pretty obvious what he was doing,
Okay, the move is called the Strike Second Deal and it is in CAPITAL LETTERS RIGHT NEXT TO THE VIDEO so it's pretty damn obvious to anyone what he's doing because you know what he's going to do before he does it. Also, it's a close up shot of about half the deck. How often are you that close to anyone else with a deck in their hands?

and I've seen it done MUCH better by others.

Really? Who?

I also dont really like the second deal because i dont think that it has nearly the practicality of a bottom deal. I mean normally if you wanna do a gambling demonstration, or just plain cheat, you're going to want to control more than one card to either yourself or your partner. I guess its ok if your on the fly and you just want that one ace, but i still think that bottom dealing is the way to go. Maybe thats just me.

Victor Cruz

The Second Deal isn't only useful to control one ace at the top. Maybe the word "paper" will give you an idea out if you know anything about cheating at cards.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Fantastic stuff from Jason England by the looks of it. I'm sure i'll be re-watching that preview a few times.
And there are many uses of the second deal in magic and gambling demos, Dunbury Delusion anyone? Awesome trick.
I've been perfecting my Push Off Second Deal lately, does anyone know if Strike is better or worse? I believe in ECT, they say that the PO looks more natural. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Dec 10, 2007
Okay, the move is called the Strike Second Deal and it is in CAPITAL LETTERS RIGHT NEXT TO THE VIDEO so it's pretty damn obvious to anyone what he's doing because you know what he's going to do before he does it. Also, it's a close up shot of about half the deck. How often are you that close to anyone else with a deck in their hands?

Really? Who?

The Second Deal isn't only useful to control one ace at the top. Maybe the word "paper" will give you an idea out if you know anything about cheating at cards.

I wasnt sayin that it was obvious what he was doing as in "OMG guys i figured it out im so awesome" but rather that i could see the cards coming from under the top card as he pulled it. To everyone else telling me that he's the best or that he did a lot of the moves in shade, i wasnt saying that he's not good, or that he doesnt know what hes going. He obvioulsy does, i was just saying that the preview didnt do much for me.

As far as who ive seen do better, I was thinking of Steve Forte when i posted that. That dude is SICK lol.

As for uses, i still say that the bottom deal is more useful.

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Just thought I'd drop in and let people know I was on the forums and available if anyone had any questions about the Strike Second Deal 1-on-1.

Fire away, and I'll try and get to each one if I can. (Duplicate questions may be answered only once.)

Jason England

PS: DJDonkeyPuncher, I too can see the second card emerge during the dealing action. In fact, I can see it from several feet away, even when performed by an expert like Richard Turner (a dear friend), Darwin Ortiz (another friend) or Steve Forte (someone I see about once a week), and even when they use borderless cards. It's the price we pay for being knowledgeable about the deals. They lose their ability to fool our eyes.

I should point out however, that from a few inches away using a bordered deck and filmed in HD, all three of the men I listed above have second deals that look about like mine.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Hi Mr England. I've got a question about the strike second deal, or more specifically, its history. As I understand it, the move was well known in "advantage play" circles, and was alluded to in print, for a long time before it was actually described. Could you point me in the direction of some early references where the deal is mentioned?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results