What to buy what to buy...

Nov 7, 2008
Hey guys I'm looking to find a DVD or two to purchase. I'm a total amateur, and mainly just perform for friends and families, workplace, parties, etc. The kinds of routines I like are the ones that rely purely on sleight-of-hand. This is why I love Flicker so much! David Stone's one coin routine looks amazing, and I was thinking of getting the DVD that has that, but I'm curious to see what you guys have in mind. I'm not big on using props, or even doing tricks on tables. Chris Kenner's Three Fry and Unicoin are about as flashy as I get.

If there's one or two DVDs that contain more of these types of coin tricks than others, that's basically what I'm looking for.

Thx!

Aug 31, 2007
I would check out Dan Watkins web site at www.coinvanish.com he has a comparison of the three beginner DVDs.(Stone, Ammar, Roth)

As for David Stone's one coin routine (on Vol 1 of real secrets) I do this routine everyday except I don't use his jumbo coin move, I use Akira's move.

Sypris - aBCd

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
exactly in the beggining there were coins ... and oz pearlman's born to perform it a great utility dvd and if you want to spice things up a bit try sponge balls by jay noblezada too. you should be able to find all this at penguin.com

May 24, 2008
I would start with stones basic coin magic series, then if you so choose, move onto the real secrets of magic series.

Aug 18, 2008
Check out stuck by Greg Rastami
for 10 bucks you get a killer routine and a few great slights with coins

Nov 7, 2008
Stuck looks amazing. Do you have it? If so, I got a quick question for you. Does the coin just get hidden in his mouth? Because that'd be pretty gross, and also a bit too easy to figure out. If it has nothing to do with the mouth, then I'd seriously consider buying this. It looks absolutely great.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Thirded. 'In The Beginning There Where Coins' is a great choice especially if you are just starting out with coins.

I second 'In The Beginning There Were Coins'. Jay goes into great detail and is a fantastic teacher. You'll learn both the basics and real performable material. It's worth it.

well said...:cool:

May 24, 2008
Thirded. 'In The Beginning There Where Coins' is a great choice especially if you are just starting out with coins.

well said...:cool:

Personally, I would not recommend this DVD simply because I do not believe that Jay is the best to learn from. Don't get me wrong the teaching is phenomonal, but I find especially in coin magic, that a lot of it is to be learned from watching performances, and Jay's performances are nowhere near the skill of some of the masters.

Dec 13, 2007
There are some great books teaching coin magic...

It depends what you want to learn... sleight of hand, gimmick, etc.

Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Personally, I would not recommend this DVD simply because I do not believe that Jay is the best to learn from. Don't get me wrong the teaching is phenomonal, but I find especially in coin magic, that a lot of it is to be learned from watching performances, and Jay's performances are nowhere near the skill of some of the masters.

It's a beginner DVD teaching the basics...Jay doesn't need the skill of the masters. He has a solid technique and teaches the foundations VERY well so you can then move on to the 'masters' as you call it like: Ammar, Roth, etc.
My recommendation for ITBTWC stands.

Dec 15, 2007
I would suggest Michael Ammars Complete Intro to coin magic. I absolutely love that vid and Ammar is an excellent teacher. Otherwise the David stone dvds are excellent as well, the One coin routine is absolutely gorgeous. Jay Sankeys Revolutionary coin magic has help me out with some great sleights. Han ping chen and stuff like that. Also I cant suggest enought the JB Bobo modern coin magic book and DVD series.

Then once you start to get the basics down a bit you can work your way over to David Roths stuff, which is some of the greatest coin magic ever.

Also I would suggest getting Three Fry from Chris Kenner. His work is absolutely aw inspiring how simple it is and how his prsentation brings it to the next level. I cant wait for his Totally out of Control Dvd to come out. I would also recomend his book if you can find it. It has great coin, card, rband, and other work in it that is simple to the mind in performance.

Sorry alot of suggestions there but youll be in good hands if you choose any one of them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
- Nick

Jan 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
hey i have the ITBTWC , Ammar's intro to coin magic , David Stone's Coin magic basic and Modern Coin Magic dvds. I would recommend Ammar's or Modern coin magic DVDs but David Stone's DVDs are excellent but i think Ammar teaches the basics very well and Modern Coin Magic teaches the basic just as good.

I hear David Roth's Expert coin magic trilogy is also a good training source but i have yet to buy them.

Hope this helps

PS i know some people dont like Modern Coin Magic DVD set but the reason why i bought it was because i find the Bobo's book a bit hard to read and understand, well thats just me, i learn better from watching a dvd then read the book to understand the whole trick or sleight

Books!!! Bobo's modern coin magic!!!

Agreed tenfold. But buy the larger, original version from your favorite magic shop. The Modern Coin Magic you'll find in mainstream bookstores are abridged cuts that don't include the use and versatility of gaffed coins. If you're looking into doing coin magic, Bobo is an encyclopedic source that you can always refer back to.

RS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results