Problems with Confidence.

Aug 31, 2007
Singapore
is it a little early to start asking questions?

i've been flourishing for 4-5 months i think. i can't really remember when i started. so please bear with my 'newbie' questions.

i've been dying to ask: how long does it take to really master a trick. as in to bring your cards with you and stand in a public place for example, while waiting for a bus, and just play with them without the fear of dropping.

i have this problem with my confidence of doing stuff standing up. i'm afraid to drop my cards which would force me to bend down and pick them up. i even drop quite frequently while doing tricks which i have learnt in my second month such as madonna 1 and 2 and 360 spider etc.

should i just keep practicing until i gain more confidence, or what?

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
What I do is stay up late at night messing with my cards on different flourishes. After about 3 hours (not in a row) I had Madonna down. But a few hours later, I was constantly dropping the cards.

It depends on how much you put into it. When you perform, don't do flourishes in which you have the fear of dropping cards. Do flourishes in which you know you can do. When you create your own flourishes or displays though, it gets easier and easier to do, because you know how it goes. And after a while with those, you can do it perfect.

Main thing, do what you know you can do perfect.

I found the best way to solve this problem is to just resign yourself to the fact, you will drop cards sometimes. Even people doing it for many years like Dan and Dave screw up. Just stop worrying, if you drop a card pick it up. Don't practice outside unless there isn't much wind (or stay away from anything flimsy) and have fun. I basically never put a deck of cards down, so I'm always around people and I just got used to people looking occasionally, I mostly just tune them out. Some may say it's destroying the art if you're always showing it off and stops it being special, but flourishing/cardistry for me is a hobby, something I do for fun. I'm not running around naked in public, I'm practicing.

Sep 1, 2007
Malaysia
www.youtube.com
For me, just do the flourishes which look very simple and are simple to do....such as some of thecuso's flourishes (YouTube him)....when you get the hang of it, you'll start to get the 'feel' after and you can then experiment with other less complicated moves such as the Helix 180 false cut.....i prefer doing my flourishes with half a deck at first for more control..

haha...i stay up late at night as well to do some flourishes before i sleep:eek:

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
I found the best way to solve this problem is to just resign yourself to the fact, you will drop cards sometimes. Even people doing it for many years like Dan and Dave screw up. Just stop worrying, if you drop a card pick it up. Don't practice outside unless there isn't much wind (or stay away from anything flimsy) and have fun. I basically never put a deck of cards down, so I'm always around people and I just got used to people looking occasionally, I mostly just tune them out. Some may say it's destroying the art if you're always showing it off and stops it being special, but flourishing/cardistry for me is a hobby, something I do for fun. I'm not running around naked in public, I'm practicing.

With his helpful reminder..... You will drop cards unless you are De'vo. (No offense to the Bucks, but he has pretty much done it all his life.)

Ahhh the wind, the enemy of magicians. Falling over whilst levitating, and missing dropped cards.

With his helpful reminder..... You will drop cards unless you are De'vo. (No offense to the Bucks, but he has pretty much done it all his life.)

Ahhh the wind, the enemy of magicians. Falling over whilst levitating, and missing dropped cards.

Even De'vo drops cards.

When it comes to doing it for his whole life, so have Dan and Dave, they're just younger :)

One thing I have troubles with is sometimes I practice something too much and then I try to go back to something else and have troubles. Honestly just practice until your smooth and don't worry about your speed, speed just screws things up sometimes. I'd rather do it properly and not screw up then do it lightning fast and drop a couple cards.

-RA69

Haha, as long as there is gravity, cards will be dropped.

Hmm, to gain confidence? Just spend more time with your cards, confidence will come naturally but surely. ;)

Exactly the same is true for anything for example if you skateboard the first time you try grinding you may fall but the more you practice it the better you get.... i dont do flourishes but i give tremendous credit to those who do cause it looks amazing .:D

Aug 31, 2007
Singapore
should i just go ahead to learn 'harder' flourishes, then when i come back, i find what i'm doing now so much easier? or just keep playing till i get 'experience'?

and what would you guys recommend i get next? i can pretty much do everything in the system except madonna 3, rev erdnase and molecule 3.

of course not all can be done well, but i'm thinking of moving on soon.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
One thing I have troubles with is sometimes I practice something too much and then I try to go back to something else and have troubles. Honestly just practice until your smooth and don't worry about your speed, speed just screws things up sometimes. I'd rather do it properly and not screw up then do it lightning fast and drop a couple cards.

-RA69

So true. Like Daren says, smoothness give the illusion of speed. And I've found that if i do just a plain false sybil at a comfortable pace, people go woah! The problem for us flourishes is that we see card moves slower than the laymen. I remember when i filmed my sybil back in the days, and i thought it was fast. I watch that video now and think, oh my gosh that so slow and choppy. So, you really dont need to go that fast, the slower you go, the more the audience can enjoy the flourish, meaning you get more time reaping the benefits of practicing so hard
Good Luck
J4

p.s. when showing moves to people for the first time, show a close friend, one, or two tops, and get comfortable with them watching you, even baring down on you. Then you can perform it for more than one person (e.g. 5-10 people) and just pretend you're only showing one of the people in the crowd. It helps a lot ;)

So true. Like Daren says, smoothness give the illusion of speed. And I've found that if i do just a plain false sybil at a comfortable pace, people go woah! The problem for us flourishes is that we see card moves slower than the laymen. I remember when i filmed my sybil back in the days, and i thought it was fast. I watch that video now and think, oh my gosh that so slow and choppy. So, you really dont need to go that fast, the slower you go, the more the audience can enjoy the flourish, meaning you get more time reaping the benefits of practicing so hard
Good Luck
J4

p.s. when showing moves to people for the first time, show a close friend, one, or two tops, and get comfortable with them watching you, even baring down on you. Then you can perform it for more than one person (e.g. 5-10 people) and just pretend you're only showing one of the people in the crowd. It helps a lot ;)

Can't half tell you're a Flourisher from your name, Jackson 4 :p

It is true what you say though, I've only been flourishing for a short time, about the same amount of time as the thread creator, and I've already noticed a HUGE change from when I first started (Could barley do The Werm) to where I am now, I can't wait to see where I am in another 6 months time, I'll be god like. Heh.

Aug 31, 2007
England
Practice practice practice

And don't attempt anything thats too hard, or that you know theres a large chance you could screw it up

Dropping a card (or more cards) isn't so terrible... You can make a little joke, or you can do some fancy pick-up move(fan or armspread pick-up). Watch the Xtreme Beginnerz and you can get some tips about dropping cards

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
Hell, What does it matter when u practise or perform outside and drop a card? i remember when i practise long distance spinner in the train on my way to the university, everyone on my "2 bench facing against each other, dunno the word" was helping me picking up the cards i dropped and it was fun as hell. it only matter if u think it matters. although i do say try to keep your deck clean is prolly a better way if u want it to not become useless all too fast.

Well, you could always start out making videos, getting feedback etc.. but the only way you'll truly get over the confidence problem is if you go out and actually do the flourishes etc....

Although I still find it odd performing flourishes, no offense is meant, just me personally have to get used to it :D

Aug 31, 2007
Singapore
i believe i may have not put my point out properly.

i'm not really talking about performing. more of just practicing in public places to save time instead of sitting and staring blankly when on a bus or something.

anyway, should i just keep practicing until i master the system? since i can do most of the cuts there already, or should i move on so that that when i look back, the cuts in the system pale in conparison(or is there even such material?).

BTW: this forum rocks i get so much advise from just a little question. :D

thanks.

Aug 31, 2007
England
i believe i may have not put my point out properly.

i'm not really talking about performing. more of just practicing in public places to save time instead of sitting and staring blankly when on a bus or something.

anyway, should i just keep practicing until i master the system? since i can do most of the cuts there already, or should i move on so that that when i look back, the cuts in the system pale in conparison(or is there even such material?).

BTW: this forum rocks i get so much advise from just a little question. :D

thanks.

I'd master all the cuts that you like and are interested in on the system first, and don't perform them until your confident you can do them perfectly without dropping,

Aug 31, 2007
Singapore
thats not really answering my lastest question, but thanks anyway, mainly because i never said anything about PERFORMING. i merely stated that i would like to practice throughout the day(to make it clearer) but i frequently drop which is rather annoying.

like i said before, should i move on to more advanced cuts or just stick with this until i 'master' it? if i am to move on(i will eventually anyway) what should i get? i'm thinking trilogy.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results