Magicians From the 1800's?

Sep 1, 2007
Hey, if anyone could help me find a list of magicians from the 1800's, that would be great. I have to write a research paper for my history class and I thought it would be a lot of fun to cover one of the earliest magicians.

Dec 15, 2007
Minnesota
It can't hurt to do a little magic history research on your part, because just a list of names isn't going to do much. I recommend reading any Jim Steinmeyer book especially Hiding the Elephant. It will tell you all about the greats that you should know about: Robert Houdin, The Maskelynes, Hermann, Thurston, Kellar, Houdini, Devant, Chung Ling Soo and William Robinson just to name a few.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I once did a report on Robert Houdin. He was said to be one of the very first modern magicians, and possibly the first conjuror. I would suggest going to the library and asking the librarian to reccomend something. I'm sure they'll have something on Houdin and probably some other very early magicans.

If all else fails just do a google search for magicians from the 1800s...come to think of it, you probably should have done that even before posting here.

I hope this helps and have fun researching it should be really interesting.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results